Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Best pretender name ever!

I think its Jason, me, huw, uber and yskonyn for this one

Yskonyn

Well, Jason welcome to the game! Glad you want to jump in for Nefaro.

If we're all fine, I can setup the game one Llama. But first I will need your email address, Jason. Please send me a PM.

When the game is setup you will all need to send your pretender to Llamaserver.
You can send your pretender file as an attachment to:

pretenders@llamaserver.net

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
it has a file format <era>_<nation>_0.2h

It will overwrite and old pretenders for the same era/nation.

After all the pretenders have been sent in the game can be kicked off and you will receive your turns in the mail.
Just send your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net (probably just reply to sender)

Only send in the .2h file. The .trn file is only sent by Llama to YOU.

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Wahey, game on!  I'm in work right now; will send my pretender as soon as I get home. 8)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 05, 2013, 08:25:14 AM
Wahey, game on!  I'm in work right now; will send my pretender as soon as I get home. 8)

Ditto.

Ys, won't you need the list of our pretender's names, too? Or does having our email address (and registering that for the game) take care of such things? -- the server makes sure we're using a valid pretender submitted to the general pretender list (with a password set so no one else can use our pretender)?

My email is the same as listed under my avatar for any post, by the way, in case anyone wants to contact for diplomacy. But I'll send it to Ys by forum pmail, too, to avoid spambots trolling for info. (I check my email more often than Grog's pmail, though, so send game correspondence to my email.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Do we have a name for the game?  I need it before I can submit my pretender.

Yskonyn

@Jason: You will need the name of the game to upload your pretender. I have no task in that.
If you are unsure on how to proceed, I have linked a FAQ that answers all questions cencerning Llamaserver (for players and hosts) in the first post of this thread.

*Drumroll*

Gentlemen! Let me officially welcome you all to our first Grognati Dominions 3 PBEM game!
Because we all are noobs in a greater or lesser sense I have chosen to name our game The_Big_Pretenders, completely in tune with Dom3 lore. ;)
It has been created on Llama and is waiting for Pretender submissions.

Watch the underscores (_) in the name when submitting your pretender.

Here is the link to the status page of our game on Llamaserver: The Big Pretenders
Here you will find a download of the map I have chosen, called Fields of Battle.
I am not familliar with it, but it seems to suit our needs, sizewise and on top of that it looks quite good as well.

Before we kick off in earnest, I want to stress one more time that if you are going to have a problem sending a turn in on time, post your request for a delay in this thread as early as possible! We cannot use the rollback feature of Llamaserver as it is known to break games entirely.
Also, Llama will autohost the game after the interval, wether you have sent in your orders or not.
4 stales in a row usually means people are going to look for a substitute over at the Dom 3 community forums, but that's not applicable for our game here. But just so you know once you are going to play with the big boys later.

A note as your admin: I work irregular schedules so I might throw in the odd request for a delay myself.

All game related communication should be posted here, except for diplomacy, of course.

I hope everyone is going to have fun and we all learn to become better players in the end!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Pretender submitted!  Wooooooooo!  Come on everyone, let's kick some arse!

Nefaro

Good luck guys!

I'll catch a future game with you, when I'm not in such a blah gaming muck.

Yskonyn

Huw the Poo

Thanks Nefaro.  I hope you're able to join the next game!

I couldn't get the CBM mod working in Linux for some reason.  Now I have to play the whole game in Windows! :(

undercovergeek

Should be submitting tomorrow - brilliant, can't fkn wait to get going

Yskonyn

Ow crap.. I think I have made an error with the map.
This is actually a No Independents version... not good. I will try to fix it.

Well I have created a new random map for us.
Grab the two files here and drop them in your \Dominions 3\maps\  folder.

Battlefields.map
Battlefields.rgb

JasonPratt

Ysk, you had better edit your official game-start post accordingly, too: I could have tried to download and install the original map before realizing it didn't work with Independents.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Pretender submitted (after recreating him/her/it when I read the LlamaFAQ and realized I shouldn't give the file a password.)

Keep in mind when sending data to the Llamaserver that the subject line of the email must read The_Big_Pretenders (with the underscores and presumably the TBP caps).

JasonPratt

By the way, is anyone going to keep an AAR? I'm too busy on other projects to do one myself, but I'd find it terribly amusing to read about myself as the antagonist in someone else's story.  ;D