Psst...Hey, Martok!

Started by BanzaiCat, January 04, 2014, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I don't have an article to cite, but, in my experience, daddy longlegs will pile up, one upon another, in the fall.  Don't know if it's a mating thing, an end of life thing, or something completely different.  Never seen anything else like it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

Flying connotes a mechanism for continued, voluntary, locomotion.  Spiders have no such appendage/ability.  Therefore, spiders ride the wind, but do not fly.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on October 27, 2015, 02:12:30 PM
Flying connotes a mechanism for continued, voluntary, locomotion.  Spiders have no such appendage/ability.  Therefore, spiders ride the wind, but do not fly.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 23, 2015, 11:41:12 PM
And back to your regularly scheduled program of trying to drive Martok round the bend....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246167/Spiders-big-RATS-invade-Cheshire-town.html
Yeah, I read that article.  I do not envy geek and Bawb at all.  I'll take my Minnesota mosquitoes any day of the week! 

Quote from: LongBlade on September 26, 2015, 05:38:16 PM
And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

QuoteUsing a lighter to kill the bug, he started a blaze that quickly engulfed the gas pump.

He somehow escaped serious injury and the gas station's damage was contained to one pump, which was destroyed. The incident was recorded at a Center Line gas station.

Employee Susan Adams kept calm and hit the gas automatic stop button and quickly called the Center Line fire department.

The man grabbed a nearby extinguisher and put out the flames before firefighters arrived. Later he admitted what he did, saying he spotted a spider on his gas tank and because he's deathly afraid of the critters.

source: http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/24780872-story
Ahahahaha!!  That's great. 

He may be an idiot, but that man is still my hero. 

Quote from: bbmike on November 03, 2015, 06:57:51 PM
Techno Lightsaber Spiders  Run Martok!
Unless it's an adept of the dark side of the Force, we have nothing to fear. 

(Oh wait, never mind, it's a spider.  You're right; run!!!) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Fortunately, fire will never go extinct.

JasonPratt

http://www.wxii12.com/spiders-invade-neighborhood-in-north-memphis/36632974?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=WXII%2012%20NEWS&Content%20Type=Video

Half mile long spiderweb in North Memphis. Now you, too, can benefit from SCIENCE! -- let Doctors Someoneandanother use SCIENCE to melt away the fat of your inherited double chin, safely and... wait, that was the commercial. Nothing to do with the spiders, promise.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Barthheart on November 19, 2015, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 19, 2015, 12:14:25 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/11/18/this-new-daddy-longlegs-is-named-smeagol-and-its-precious-and-eyeless/?tid=sm_fb

Gollum. Gollum.

AND they are trying to save it from extinction!
Yeah, they've got the wrong idea there.  >:( 

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2015, 03:22:27 PM
http://www.wxii12.com/spiders-invade-neighborhood-in-north-memphis/36632974?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=WXII%2012%20NEWS&Content%20Type=Video

Half mile long spiderweb in North Memphis. Now you, too, can benefit from SCIENCE! -- let Doctors Someoneandanother use SCIENCE to melt away the fat of your inherited double chin, safely and... wait, that was the commercial. Nothing to do with the spiders, promise.  O:-)
Yep, I read about this story a few days ago.  I know it's not a new phenomenon, but the notion of thousands (millions?) of spiders gathering together to build a ginormous web is just f-ing creepy.  :-\ 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

LongBlade

A cautionary tale for our friend.

QuoteA man's noisy attempts to kill a spider caused his neighbors to call the police, reporting a suspected violent domestic incident.

Officers in Sydney went to the address after numerous calls were made claiming a woman could be heard screaming hysterically and a man yelling "I'm going to kill you, you're dead. Die! Die!"

QuoteBelow is their transcript of the conversation that followed:

Police: We had a report of a domestic and a women screaming, where is she?

Male: I don't know what you're talking about, I live alone.

Police: Come on mate, people clearly heard you yelling you were going to kill her and furniture getting thrown around the unit.

Police: Come on mate, what have you done to her?

Male: It was a spider.

Police: Sorry??

Male: It was a spider, a really big one!!

Police: What about the woman screaming?

Male: Yeah sorry that was me, I really, really hate spiders.

What neighbours thought was a serious incidence of domestic violence was in fact the man chasing the arachnid around his home with a can of spider spray.

The police report concluded: "After a very long pause, some laughter and a quick look in the unit to make sure there was no injured party (apart from the spider) we left."

source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/26/man-attempt-to-kill-spider-confused-with-domestic-violence-sparks-police-call/?intcmp=hplnws

Staggerwing

I'd say "Only in the Antipodes" but I just know there will be (and, in fact, may already have been) a similar incident in a certain US State *cough*Florida*cough*.

Interesting that the Aussie incident happened in a suburb named after the maiden name of the author of 'Frankenstein'. I don't know why it's interesting but it is.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Quote from: LongBlade on November 26, 2015, 06:06:20 PM
A cautionary tale for our friend.

QuoteA man's noisy attempts to kill a spider caused his neighbors to call the police, reporting a suspected violent domestic incident.

Officers in Sydney went to the address after numerous calls were made claiming a woman could be heard screaming hysterically and a man yelling "I'm going to kill you, you're dead. Die! Die!"

QuoteBelow is their transcript of the conversation that followed:

Police: We had a report of a domestic and a women screaming, where is she?

Male: I don't know what you're talking about, I live alone.

Police: Come on mate, people clearly heard you yelling you were going to kill her and furniture getting thrown around the unit.

Police: Come on mate, what have you done to her?

Male: It was a spider.

Police: Sorry??

Male: It was a spider, a really big one!!

Police: What about the woman screaming?

Male: Yeah sorry that was me, I really, really hate spiders.

What neighbours thought was a serious incidence of domestic violence was in fact the man chasing the arachnid around his home with a can of spider spray.

The police report concluded: "After a very long pause, some laughter and a quick look in the unit to make sure there was no injured party (apart from the spider) we left."

source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/26/man-attempt-to-kill-spider-confused-with-domestic-violence-sparks-police-call/?intcmp=hplnws
Pansy.  A guy with even a shred of dignity and/or masculinity does not kill a spider using "bug spray" (professional exterminators like MetalDog don't count).  Sheesh.  ::)