Mysteries of the FPS-world

Started by MengJiao, April 23, 2020, 07:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Apparently something that happened with Battlefield V recently (only an announcement of some plan -- but in the AAA world apparently not only is the image crucial, but so is the image of the image and the hype of the hype) that is expected to be driving lots of BatV players to HLL.

I suppose that is interesting and/or mysterious.  It seems especially mysterious to me since I hadn't even heard anything about BatV until people started talking about it in Post Scriptum.  Now, of course, I only hear about these things while waiting to die horribly in HLL.

Actually, lots of things are news to me belatedly in the FPS world.  I only learned that HLL was getting more "toxic" when it was mentioned in HLL as I was waiting to die horribly.  I'm pretty bad at relative levels of toxicity; most FPS seem pretty toxic to me most of the time.

So what's the deal with BatV?  No more plans to have more WWII settings?  Just 'nam is in the future?  Or fantasy future?

PS: oh!  Its future is that it doesn't have much of a future:

https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-5-is-wrapping-up-but-theres-one-more-update-to-come/

al_infierno

I liked BFV but always felt there was potential to add more theaters and factions.  Even after adding the PTO, the game felt narrow and shallow even compared to previous games.  It's a shame won't get the Eastern Front.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on April 23, 2020, 08:47:09 PM
I liked BFV but always felt there was potential to add more theaters and factions.  Even after adding the PTO, the game felt narrow and shallow even compared to previous games.  It's a shame won't get the Eastern Front.

It's odd, but people in HLL are already griping about inexperienced players coming in from BATV -- which probably is not actually happening yet if it ever will.
  We (the US Army side)lost the most recent battle partly because I pushed two attacks (as an overly aggressive SL, ie a corporal) that went way too far and gathered too much momentum.  We were way off balance when the counter-punch came -- but it definitely wasn't because of inexperienced players -- possibly just over-exuberant players.  Still there's a lesson in that all of some sort. 

al_infierno

I've actually had HLL in my Steam library for ages now, it feel like, but I've never tried it.  Maybe I should fire it up and give it a shot - dilute the skill pool just a little bit O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

What is HLL? At first I took it as some internet slang for referring to Hell, and initially thought Meng's account was hacked by someone proclaiming hell and damnation inbound for BF5 players somehow. Lol!
It took me twice to read over before I reckoned HLL must be another game. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on April 23, 2020, 09:57:22 PM
I've actually had HLL in my Steam library for ages now, it feel like, but I've never tried it.  Maybe I should fire it up and give it a shot - dilute the skill pool just a little bit O0

You should join up and not follow any squad leaders named Lloyd when they head off toward the distant end of the map.  I would say -- join the Germans since they seem a little more poised lately BUT on the US side you can lose by just a little (our exuberance made up for our excesses, I guess) and have a good time.

Apocalypse 31

I dont own HLL but have played Squad for many years (side gripe: this game will never be finished)

Squad just feels empty and lifeless. For a game that FORCES teamwork, I haven't found many people that want to work as a team. In most cases, people are afraid to step up as Squad Leader. OR they would rather sit behind the line and play minecraft, building massive FOBs. Very few can rally their squad and attack the enemy.

MengJiao

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 24, 2020, 06:49:04 AM
I dont own HLL but have played Squad for many years (side gripe: this game will never be finished)

Squad just feels empty and lifeless. For a game that FORCES teamwork, I haven't found many people that want to work as a team. In most cases, people are afraid to step up as Squad Leader. OR they would rather sit behind the line and play minecraft, building massive FOBs. Very few can rally their squad and attack the enemy.

The "squads" are really small in HLL -- six players -- which I think works well most of the time.  The "officer" ( = squadleader = corporal) can do a lot of useful things without being overloaded.  As noted above, my ralling and attacking last night  (it was great to see most of the squad storming a trench and then winning a firefight and then pushing on clear to the final objective) was fun but probably not what we needed to win against a well-played German team.

Father Ted

Quote from: MengJiao on April 23, 2020, 09:54:44 PM

It's odd, but people in HLL are already griping about inexperienced players coming in from BATV
   -- but it definitely wasn't because of inexperienced players -- possibly just over-exuberant players.  Still there's a lesson in that all of some sort.

One thing I've learnt from playing these sorts of games is that a loss is never the vocal player's fault - it's always his noob team.

W8taminute

I like playing Heroes & Generals even though it's not as pretty as modern AAA titles. 

H&G is also very old school and the grind in leveling up your characters is very long but at the end of the day this game delivers a lot of joy both in the FPS gameplay and the role playing elements of creating and building characters.  It's also free to play, not pay to win, and pay to level up or unlock stuff faster is optional. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on April 24, 2020, 11:52:03 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 23, 2020, 09:54:44 PM

It's odd, but people in HLL are already griping about inexperienced players coming in from BATV
   -- but it definitely wasn't because of inexperienced players -- possibly just over-exuberant players.  Still there's a lesson in that all of some sort.

One thing I've learnt from playing these sorts of games is that a loss is never the vocal player's fault - it's always his noob team.

Since I'm usually on the command channel and the US Army in HLL is pretty relaxed, I hear a lot of "Oh well...not bad for a bunch of noobs...it was very close" (which is often true) while seeing hyper-crazed lower-ranks typeing, typeing typing about how bad our team is (which is often true also).
And I sorta sympathize with everybody because I myself personally have never been very good at FPS for the most part -- though occasionally I have some nice streaks of being quite good.

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on April 24, 2020, 01:35:20 PM
I like playing Heroes & Generals even though it's not as pretty as modern AAA titles. 

H&G is also very old school and the grind in leveling up your characters is very long but at the end of the day this game delivers a lot of joy both in the FPS gameplay and the role playing elements of creating and building characters.  It's also free to play, not pay to win, and pay to level up or unlock stuff faster is optional.

I did play H& G for awhile, but even for my average FPS badness --  I was unusually bad at that game.  My best gambit was the machine-gun on a motorcycle ploy which occasionally worked for me which just shows how really bad I must have been.

W8taminute

Quote from: MengJiao on April 24, 2020, 05:02:19 PM

I did play H& G for awhile, but even for my average FPS badness --  I was unusually bad at that game.  My best gambit was the machine-gun on a motorcycle ploy which occasionally worked for me which just shows how really bad I must have been.

One of the keys to H&G is to not be afraid and get to the point.  Once there you usually will kill a couple of baddies until you get stopped.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on April 24, 2020, 05:58:56 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 24, 2020, 05:02:19 PM

One of the keys to H&G is to not be afraid and get to the point.  Once there you usually will kill a couple of baddies until you get stopped.

As usual, I don't remember what went wrong -- I only remember the times all went well. One possibility is that there wasn't much cover and that the terrain was kind of quirky and not very useful for me (for some reason).  By contrast, one thing I can usually do as a squad leader in HLL is to position my outpost (a spawn point for the squad) to use the terrain and relative location so that the squad and me can spawn safely, with lots of options for defense or getting into the battle.  I guess spawning in FPS is always a fraught topic and occasion and I like the moderately chaotic and contestable and destructable and ever-shifting spawn methods in HLL; I can occasionally even get them right.