Main Menu

FRIDAY on my mind

Started by Martok, June 26, 2020, 04:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WYBaugh

Quote from: jamus34 on June 27, 2020, 04:11:02 PM
It's almost all Shadow Empire & Monster Train for me.

What do you think of Monster Train?

Father Ted

Quote from: IICptMillerII on June 27, 2020, 02:51:24 PM
Haha you guys are great.

I'll elaborate a bit on the 'tougher' part. Its definitely tougher in a good way. Infantry are not as brittle anymore, and are much more likely to stand in place and fight. This means that even poorly trained soldiers, if in a good defensive position, will give you a headache. You have to be more persistent in your urging them to vacate their positions. The result is more realistic firefights and more effective defensive positions. You really have to uproot the enemy now, not just mass enough firepower against them to shoot them off their position. An example for WWII is hedgerow fighting. Now, you will really get a feel for how difficult it was to attack through hedgerow country. German defenders dug in like ticks will be very hard to dislodge, as they were in reality.

Jeepers, my Brits already find dislodging a handful of German defenders a tall order....

Quote from: IICptMillerII on June 27, 2020, 02:51:24 PM
I forgot to mention that I downloaded the demo for Regiments and intend on giving it a bit of a shakedown this weekend. I haven't played it yet so take this with a healthy pinch of salt, but there is something about the game that doesn't completely grab me. I think it might be the art style of the weapon effects, that just looks really cartoonish to me. I want to like the game, as I really want more games set during the Cold War, but there is just something about it that doesn't instantly grab me. Hoping this is just bad perception on my part and when I finally do play it I'll change my tune.

I played out the tutorials in the demo and wasn't really taken either (though I really appreciate people who put out demos).  I didn't like that you can refurb damaged units on the fly during a battle by retreating them to a safe space.  To me there's just something odd about realistic-ish terrain and models being coupled with sci-fi game mechanics.  It's like the medics who can raise the dead and the engineers who can instantaneously build an ammo dump in the recent tranche of WW2 FPSs.

Actually, since I'm talking about both CM and Eugen-type games, it's ironic that I spend very much more time up close and personal to my pixeltruppen in the former than the latter, yet in the latter they have much more care lavished on their close-up appearance.

jamus34

Quote from: WYBaugh on June 28, 2020, 04:22:56 PM

It's fun. I would rank it just a step below Slay the Spire.

It's an odd mashup. Combat is a lot less direct than StS as you are summoning monsters to fight for you. You have direct action spells and depending on the faction you are playing will change how you play the game.
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Quote from: jamus34 on June 28, 2020, 01:42:02 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 28, 2020, 12:37:20 PM
I've been stuck on Platinum for the last couple of months.  Friday I built a Green/White mutate deck with 2 each of Cubwarden, Migratory something or other, Gemrazer, King Caesar, and Auspicious Starrix.  It has got me to Platinum Tier 1, but, there is only a day or two left in the Season.  So, I need to grind out a few more and maybe coast.  See what the Season rewards are from Diamond.

I'm content with Platinum ending this season. I'll use the packs I get along with accumulated wilds and see what I can build for the next.

I was at Platinum 2 the end of last Season.  They dropped me all the way to Silver 2.  I got some phat loot though.  Hoping I can make Diamond and they don't drop me too much past Gold.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

WYBaugh

Quote from: jamus34 on June 28, 2020, 06:07:49 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on June 28, 2020, 04:22:56 PM

It's fun. I would rank it just a step below Slay the Spire.

It's an odd mashup. Combat is a lot less direct than StS as you are summoning monsters to fight for you. You have direct action spells and depending on the faction you are playing will change how you play the game.

Thank you Jamus!  I will definitely check it out.

Gusington

Only Tuesday but I wanted to post that I am having a bizarrely fun time with both the original Spintires (with Chernobyl DLC) and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts.

I barely know wtf I am doing in Spintires but its oddly addictive and fun (and cheap as hell right now during the Steam Summer Sale) with tons of extra truck mods available in the Steam Workshop.

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts is still in Alpha stage but custom battles (with roughly eight nations available) are included, as are about 50 pre-made missions.

I've been waiting forever for an accessible naval game like this and it looks like I finally got it, even in alpha. Can't wait to see how the campaigns are fleshed out in the next few months. Those of you who are naval freaks will probably get lost (in a good way) just in the naval construction section of the game.

I am enjoying Spintires so much that I am going to get its newer brother, Mudrunner. Snowrunner was also just released earlier this year on Epic.

:dreamer:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd