I'm sick and I need help

Started by Jarhead0331, November 13, 2020, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

That...is a very detailed answer  :o

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

I'm 5'8" and my daughter has just got a bit taller, maybe 5'9" and counting. She is forever reminding me of it. >:D :knuppel2:

Still, I'm taller than my son for the moment and he's taller than the Boss who is only taller than the cats!! :DD

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2020, 04:31:27 PM
That...is a very detailed answer  :o

( ... I understand your plight. Being 6'4" in Holland is like being 5'6" here in America ... )

The answer I gave tried to make clear that I don't live in Holland.

Holland is a pirate's nest in the Rhine Meuse Scheldt delta.

WYBaugh

I'm 6'4" and don't know who my forefather's were

Gusington

^The majority of my forefathers were 6'+. I had one great grandfather, Abraham, who was 5'1". There is a picture of him ~1910 sitting in front of my great grandmother. She is standing. He sat because she was taller than him and it embarrassed him. His blood is thick.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on November 18, 2020, 04:23:45 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2020, 03:35:18 PM
Lotti are you...Dutch? I've only met a few Dutch people in person but they have all been ~6'4" or taller.

My pre-Napoleonic forefathers lived at the Ems estuary, and were all called Egbert.

That area has been part of the sovereignties of the Chauks, Anglian Frisians, Old Ambt under the Emperor, Stad en Lande, and currently the Netherlands.

I feel more European than Dutch, though not for love of EU policies, but because my media influx is strongly German, French and Belgian, and those countries are an integral part of the history of my world. I travel there, know people, and I feel we ought to be good friends, politically. I cannot vote for Berlin politics, but they influence my world more than The Hague.
Seems you might be proto-English then! O0 ;)

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2020, 05:35:18 PM
^The majority of my forefathers were 6'+. I had one great grandfather, Abraham, who was 5'1". There is a picture of him ~1910 sitting in front of my great grandmother. She is standing. He sat because she was taller than him and it embarrassed him. His blood is thick.
That's quite unusual to have many forefathers 6'+ as most people in Europe - apart from the Dutch and Ancient Sardinians - until this century were rather short by comparison... poor diet I suppose?

What do you make of this...
https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/a-giant-surprise-photos-of-skeletons-of-7-9-foot-giants-mounds-stonework-jim-vieira/

Gusington

Well depending on who you ask, my ratio of 'Europeanness' can vary - I am mostly Russian/Ukrainian with some Polish/German and even some Lithuanian mixed in.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2020, 08:03:36 PM
Well depending on who you ask, my ratio of 'Europeanness' can vary - I am mostly Russian/Ukrainian with some Polish/German and even some Lithuanian mixed in.
And I thought you were a bloody Yank!!! Who knew... ;) ;D

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Boggit on November 18, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
Lotti are you...Dutch? I've only met a few Dutch people in person but they have all been ~6'4" or taller.

My pre-Napoleonic forefathers lived at the Ems estuary, and were all called Egbert.

That area has been part of the sovereignties of the Chauks, Anglian Frisians, Old Ambt under the Emperor, Stad en Lande, and currently the Netherlands.

I feel more European than Dutch, though not for love of EU policies, but because my media influx is strongly German, French and Belgian, and those countries are an integral part of the history of my world. I travel there, know people, and I feel we ought to be good friends, politically. I cannot vote for Berlin politics, but they influence my world more than The Hague.

Heard a lecture today about the disappearance of the Frisian language in the lands North of the city of Groningen. That started in the 14th century, and was complete after the 15th century. It was replaced by Lower German that had become the standard language from the Eastern Netherlands to the Baltic.

During this development the Frisian name Eppe was often changed to a similar sounding regular Germanic name Egbert, so good chance that my forefathers at high Mediaeval times would have been called Eppe.

Holland adopted more Flemish elements with a French vowel system, similarly High German also adopted some of those vowels, which goes back to the interaction of Germanic Frankish nobles with their Gallo-Roman subjects.

Boggit

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on November 19, 2020, 05:41:21 PM
Quote from: Boggit on November 18, 2020, 05:36:42 PM

Heard a lecture today about the disappearance of the Frisian language in the lands North of the city of Groningen. That started in the 14th century, and was complete after the 15th century. It was replaced by Lower German that had become the standard language from the Eastern Netherlands to the Baltic.

During this development the Frisian name Eppe was often changed to a similar sounding regular Germanic name Egbert, so good chance that my forefathers at high Mediaeval times would have been called Eppe.

Holland adopted more Flemish elements with a French vowel system, similarly High German also adopted some of those vowels, which goes back to the interaction of Germanic Frankish nobles with their Gallo-Roman subjects.
I think that is very interesting. I think it is a great pity when we lose these elements of our heritage.

I have cousins who see themselves as Cornish before English - this is not that uncommon in Cornwall, even in Brittany in France. My cousins father was a Welshman who spoke Welsh as well as English. Sadly, he passed away last year, which was a pity as he was a very nice man and very erudite. Here in the British Isles I am pleased to say that we have seen some revival over the last few decades of regional languages such as Welsh, Irish Gaelic and even Scots Erse (Scots Gaelic).

I lived for a while in Yorkshire and there are dialects there - especially in North Yorkshire, which are heavily influenced by Scandinavia, mostly Denmark and you can still see the connection with some words, which are virtually the same. None of this is really surprising as the country was colonised by Danes/Norwegians at the time, and we even had a Danish king of England namely Knut II.

The earlier migration of "Saxons", which resulted in most people in England tracing their ancestors to them were in fact mainly from Niedersachsen, Friesland and Jutland, so it's hardly surprising that the basic roots of the language are so similar to day, even though time and other influences have had a very distinctive effect on the language.

Anyway, thanks very much for sharing. I find your comments very informative and interesting. O0

JasonPratt

This is why I love this site! -- a thread humorously commenting on outsized computer rig pricing (pro and con!), develops into a history-linguistics lesson on something I've never heard of before.

:smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 21, 2020, 07:07:49 PM
This is why I love this site! -- a thread humorously commenting on outsized computer rig pricing (pro and con!), develops into a history-linguistics lesson on something I've never heard of before.

:smitten:
I blame Gus O0 and Lotti! O0   ::)  ;)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd