Guys, there's a War Total Rome game coming! ...uh, Total Rome War. um...

Started by JasonPratt, March 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: solops on March 27, 2021, 12:16:01 PM
I get the impression that a lot of people on the Steam forum are confused about it being Rome 1 being re-skinned, rather than Rome 2.

The more I think about it (constructively) the more twisted (in a constructive way) it seems.  I'm not sure how anyone will be able to construct enough  constructive negativity to encompass such a thing.

Gusington

There is no purchase button! What is going on over there? Are they trying to keep people from purchasing the original to get the discount? Weird.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I get the impression that a lot of people on the Steam forum are confused about it being Rome 1 being re-skinned, rather than Rome 2.

But it is Rome 1 reskinned, isn't it?  It says it includes the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion DLCs, which were expansions for Rome 1.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on March 27, 2021, 03:55:19 PM
There is no purchase button! What is going on over there? Are they trying to keep people from purchasing the original to get the discount? Weird.
The temastered ibcludes an option to play thr original from its main menu so maybe.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

solops

Quote from: Destraex on March 27, 2021, 05:07:47 PM
The temastered ibcludes an option to play thr original from its main menu so maybe.
Finally! Someone with my typing skills!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: al_infierno on March 27, 2021, 04:52:02 PM

But it is Rome 1 reskinned, isn't it?  It says it includes the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion DLCs, which were expansions for Rome 1.
yes, it appears to be Rome 1 with Technicolor!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Quote from: solops on March 27, 2021, 05:37:47 PM
Finally! Someone with my typing skills!

Sorry mate. You can always tell when I post from my phone. you will note most of the mistyped letters are one to the right or left of the phone keypad  :'(

Destraex

Quote from: al_infierno on March 27, 2021, 04:52:02 PM

It does have a fair few new little additions like ethnically correct faces for where units were recruited. Some old features are tweaked as well apparently.
There are a lot of previously locked factions available. The camera modes have been changed to be more modern. I hated the more modern total war cameras so hope the old camera is still available. They have added a new spy type - the merchant I think? Diplomacy has been changed as well apparently, they added a reputation system. My point is it's a little more than a reskin, but not a huge amount more.

Destraex

I tell a slight lie. I think if you choose the original without all the changes you still get the better graphics.... you can turn old and new features off and on to get the original game mechanics and that is how you get the original game back. So I guess if you want classic with the old graphics you would have to buy it still.

From the CA faq:
"IS TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED REPLACING THE ORIGINAL ROME: TOTAL WAR?
No – you can still play the original ROME: Total War and, if you don't already own it, ROME: Total War is included when you purchase Total War: ROME REMASTERED. If you already own ROME: Total War, it will still be present and playable on Windows in your Steam library."

WHY IS ROME: TOTAL WAR NOW UNAVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON STEAM?
We decided to remove the ROME: Total War purchase option from Steam to focus on the definitive version: Total War: ROME REMASTERED. The original ROME: Total War will still be in your Steam library, and if you don't own it, it will be become available to you as part of your Total War: ROME REMASTERED purchase.

CONTENT
WHAT NEW FEATURES DOES TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED HAVE?
Good question! You can find a quick rundown below – stay tuned for more in-depth information about all of Total War: ROME REMASTERED's shiny new features.

VISUALS

UHD resolution support
Updated 3D unit models and textures
Widescreen and ultrawide monitor support
Enhanced battlefield environments
Enhanced campaign map
Improved visual effects
FEATURES

Campaign map overlays
Faction summary screen
Unit status displays
Enhanced camera and controls
New quick lists
GAMEPLAY

16 additional playable factions (38 in total)
Cross-platform multiplayer
Steam Workshop mod support
New agent: the merchant
New summary screen: the agent hub
Improved diplomacy
USER INTERFACE

Redesigned UI and tooltips
Optional classic versus remastered rules
Improved sound mix
Added UI scaling
Enhanced iconography
Improved support for colour blindness
HELP SYSTEM

Fully integrated game manual
Enhanced advisor messages
New first-time player advice
Redesigned campaign tutorial

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-remastered-faq/

Father Ted

Quote from: MengJiao on March 27, 2021, 07:05:18 AM
Quote from: Destraex on March 26, 2021, 08:57:13 PM
Meng. I thank you for your constructive negativity just then  :clap:
Can I ask if you play it for the tactical battles primarily?

Good question.  For about the last two years I played it, I only played Rise of the Republic and mostly only to photograph tactical battles.  I do recall my favorite battle long ago, when I had a pretty good though small force of armored horsemen and faced a larger army of not-quite-so-armored horse men.  I dismounted my lancers (not called that) in the woods and commanded from the very point of the disposition and managed a win against what seemed like big odds.  I have to say that I've never thought of Rome total War II as a very serious game -- I think it has to be played with a lot of childish glee -- but that's why I like it.  Same for World of Warships and War Thunder.  For serious games, I play boardgames.

The game being re-mastered is Rome Total War, not the sequel, if that alters your view on this news.

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on March 27, 2021, 07:54:55 PM

Good question.  For about the last two years I played it, I only played Rise of the Republic and mostly only to photograph tactical battles.  I do recall my favorite battle long ago, when I had a pretty good though small force of armored horsemen and faced a larger army of not-quite-so-armored horse men.  I dismounted my lancers (not called that) in the woods and commanded from the very point of the disposition and managed a win against what seemed like big odds.  I have to say that I've never thought of Rome total War II as a very serious game -- I think it has to be played with a lot of childish glee -- but that's why I like it.  Same for World of Warships and War Thunder.  For serious games, I play boardgames.

The game being re-mastered is Rome Total War, not the sequel, if that alters your view on this news.

I was confused before and now I'm even more confused.  I guess everybody should love it cuz Rome II was apparently bad because it wasn't enough like Rome Total Rome.  And I must admit, I can't see why anyone would want to issue a revised Rome Zero (One?) just because it was a good reason to hate Rome II.  Surely that ship has sailed long, long ago.  I'm just going to indulge in gratuitous negativity and suggest its really not just a bad idea, but a way overhyped bad idea.  At least boardgames have the virtue of not getting much hype.  So my altered view is all about my own confusion and inexcusable negativity.  Let that be a lesson to me!

IICptMillerII

Silly me, I forgot that this is 2021, and that the world is in rapid decline. Thus, so is general reading comprehension.

Rome 2 bad. Rome 1 good. Rome 1 remaster much good. Very excite.

Destraex

I actually thought of the old Total War games as the best computer simulation we had of ancient tactical battles. I looked forward to them getting even more simulation like with more and better understanding of ancient battles hopefully coming with it. Back then the only alternative was field of glory. Which was much more gamey. Move forward to rome2 and we actually had tactical battle mechanics removed instead of improved on and added to. Then their were the engine issues which made them turn off the amazing graphical detail that came with version 1 of rome2 because it killed peoples computers, thus we ended up with LOD problems that made that childish glee of watching the battles turn to watching flags bounce up and down as mobs of suddenly skinny bereft of all detail black ants wrapped around each other.
This with a lot of campaign mechanics simply added to make sure you do not stay ahead for long.

As for tactical battles in board games. I don't know how these could be more serious? What does total war lack compared to board games? Apart from the turn based limitations?

Destraex

Another good video.
I must say I am impressed by the rome remastered features.