We Needed a Hockey Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, October 04, 2013, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

It's never a good sign when they cheer for the visitors louder than the home team.  Bastards. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

I am going to defer to those who watch much more hockey than I do and ask, are the Blackhawks giving the Lightning the business?  Or am I just biased and Tampa is doing it, too?  I am usually too engrossed in watching the puck to concentrate on off point happenings, but, it seems like when something other than the biscuit catches my attention, it's someone in a red sweater crosschecking when the ref isn't watching.  Or sticking a blade in a skate.  Having a handful of jersey or pushing a guy down from behind.  The commentators seemed to think Brad Richards blatant hold of the Tampa players stick during Saad's game winner to be normal and a good play.  I don't watch much hockey, so maybe I'm just unaware of what passes for 'within the bounds of fair play,' but it seems that Chicago is engaging in some fairly obvious and repeated rule breaking and not getting caught/called on it.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MetalDog on June 10, 2015, 11:29:12 PM
I am going to defer to those who watch much more hockey than I do and ask, are the Blackhawks giving the Lightning the business?  Or am I just biased and Tampa is doing it, too?  I am usually too engrossed in watching the puck to concentrate on off point happenings, but, it seems like when something other than the biscuit catches my attention, it's someone in a red sweater crosschecking when the ref isn't watching.  Or sticking a blade in a skate.  Having a handful of jersey or pushing a guy down from behind.  The commentators seemed to think Brad Richards blatant hold of the Tampa players stick during Saad's game winner to be normal and a good play.  I don't watch much hockey, so maybe I'm just unaware of what passes for 'within the bounds of fair play,' but it seems that Chicago is engaging in some fairly obvious and repeated rule breaking and not getting caught/called on it.

Playoff hockey tends to be more lenient of small infractions that during the regular season. And the truth is, if every single penalty was called by the book in a hockey game, it would be a never-ending spiel of whistles blowing.

Chicago probably is engaging in a bit more extra-curricular activity around the play. They're the bigger team, and they have the postseason experience to know what they can get away with.

MetalDog

I've watched enough sports to know that there is times to blow the whistle and times to swallow it.  This series is no different.  I guess what I was asking is, does anyone else see this?  Because it's really beginning to piss me off.  To the point that I'll be really mad if Chicago takes the Cup.  Not that it will do me any good, but, I will be less inclined to tell anyone what a great game I think hockey is.  And now that it has been supplanted by college football in the American consciousness, hockey can't afford people bad mouthing it.

mirth

MetalDog

I do have a bit of sympathy for Bishop.  It's got to be terrible that the home crowd is louder for the Blackhawks than for the Lightning.  Doesn't explain the goal he lets in, but, I'd be disappointed to hear, "LET'S GO HAWKS," louder than, "LET'S GO BOLTS!"

Barthheart

Chicago all the way! Original Six man!

:D

MetalDog

John Oliver on a "scandal," in Canada over misappropriation of funds, "Canada.  Five hockey rinks surrounded by bears."  So what I'm saying is, whilst I respect your hockey knowledge, BUGGER OFF AND TAKE THE BLACKHAWKS WITH YOU!!!!!!! 

GO LIGHTNING!!!

Barthheart

I'll take them tonight after they take the cup!  :D

MetalDog

Congratulations to the Blackhawks.  They are a talented bunch who played hard and made the plays when they needed to.  And Crawford is a WITCH!

Arctic Blast

Was really hoping to see someone new take the Cup this year. But this is likely to be Chicago's last kick at the can for a short while, seeing as their current cap situation is going to leave them selling off roster parts at bargain prices.