Age of Steam-Ireland

Started by rstites25, June 12, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

Do any of you guys use slack? There's been discussion in the BGG 18XX forums today about the benefits of using Slack to facilitate play of 18XX through Board18, etc. I'm wondering if that might be a better alternative for our games, given the sometimes inconsistent notifications for forum posts. From what I understand, it would facilitate notifications, file sharing, posting of images, etc. I've never used it, so don't know any more about than what's been posted in those threads.

egg_salad

Well, I joined the AAC slack channel to post dick pics.

Seems like a reasonable platform.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Woodall

I use slack for our local ASL group. Pretty slick interface and has a mobile app. No restrictions on file type uploads and images are embedded into the feed without any real additional effort.

I've also used it for Mike's dick pics. Image quality is just fabulous.

l'amour

I've never heard of it. I'll try it if it's meant to be good. So many sites and log ins to remember, so it would be good if it was significantly better.

Anyway - 1 share!

egg_salad

rstites25

So I've been tinkering around in the AAC slack channel. I downloaded the App  to my phone, which seems to be great for alerts. You can change your to different settings based on the channel. You have the option to get an alert for every new message or just when you're mentioned in a post. (It seems to use a twitter-esque @username system). So if we set up a slack channel for our games and then did an "@" at the next person up when we finished our turn, it would guarantee a notification to that person. Then each of us could decide whether we wanted alerts for all messages, or just to let us know when we're up. It would probably also really work well for auctions.

I don't know how well e-mail notifications work on it, though. But it might be worth a shot?

Woodall

Quote from: l'amour on July 14, 2017, 06:24:36 AM
I've never heard of it. I'll try it if it's meant to be good. So many sites and log ins to remember, so it would be good if it was significantly better.

Anyway - 1 share!

There's a mobile and desktop client. Both can save your login (and not like a click this button and login deal)... they're just on all the time. It is significantly more convenient and easier to use than a web forum, but I understand your hesitation.

Woodall

l'amour

egg_salad

rstites25

Yes, but because I'm the only bidder it won't matter in this particular case. The scanned Eagle-Gryphon rules don't make this clear, but I think the condensed rules do. If the bid comes back around to a player at his original bid, he's not required to raise his own bid. So if you use your pass, it comes back to me. I'm not required to bid, so then the bid goes back to you to outbid me or pass and drop out.

See this thread.

It's kind of a shitty reward for taking the action last turn.

Woodall

Seems like a pretty reasonable reward. 2nd place for no monies!

rstites25

But in this case, he would've gotten 2nd place for $0 anyway. But maybe you guys would've bid differently had he not had it.

Woodall

I might have bid - who can know these things?