Batman vs Superman Trailer Leaked Online...

Started by BanzaiCat, April 17, 2015, 09:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 12, 2015, 09:59:36 AM
My main problems with Man of Steel are:

1.) It's just as aggressively stupid in its writing as the final Batman movie, while trying to present itself as Way Grimdark Serious;

and

2.) It's needlessly Way Grimdark Serious. Even to the point of Snyder intentionally putting a Grimdark filter on everything he had already shot. Seriously, a lot of the look is merely color desaturation in post. There's a Youtube video somewhere simply color correcting the trailer footage. (You can even see from the Honest Trailer screengrab that the movie was originally shot as brightly and colorfully as the 70s Superman.)

As long as we're reffing Screen Junkies by the way (the Honest Trailer team), here's their salute to the Timm/Diniverse Animated Superman series if it had gone the Snyder route:

Completely agree with your points, Jason.

And that Screen Junkies vid is pure gold.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

Yep. The whole 'grimdark' vibe is why I find this movie incredibly tiresome, and have no interest in seeing it. It's so all-encompassing that even the promos make me roll my eyes.

Centurion40

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2015, 07:52:46 PM

Okay, I admit, this trailer makes the movie more intriguing. I'm really hoping it has the emotion quotient that the trailer hints at. I think I might go see it now.

This trailer did its job.  Now I'll actually consider paying $$ to see this movie.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Poor Jesse Eisenberg, all those mean Comic-Con fans yelling at him.
Apparently it  was like the Holocaust or something.  ::)

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/actor-jesse-eisenberg-compares-comic-con-genocide-154826566.html#
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Well seriously, who casts Jesse as Lex Luthor??!!  Was Danny Devito busy?  Maybe Whoopi Goldberg as Lexi Luthor?
Any time is a good time for pie.

JasonPratt

Ha ha because he has awesome amounts of hair, ha.

:crazy2:

Though I'm getting a bit of an Anarky vibe from him. I'd like to think the writers were trying to be daring in such a knowing way, but, to repeat myself...  :crazy2:

That being said, I'm hoping Gal Gadot will be a big breakout extended cameo performance. And as usual I'm not against Batfleck, though the setup for Superman fighting Batman (or vice versa rather) seems dubious.

Also, to whomever wrote Ma Kent dis-inspiring Clark with "You owe this planet nothing and you never did"...

CAN
NOT
CURSE
SUFFICIENTLY
AT
YOU

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 15, 2015, 02:29:18 PM

Also, to whomever wrote Ma Kent dis-inspiring Clark with "You owe this planet nothing and you never did"...

CAN
NOT
CURSE
SUFFICIENTLY
AT
YOU

I'm thinking that's not being presented in context. I bet Ma Kent is basically telling his whiny ass to get the sand out of his vagina and grow a pair, and is therefore being hella sarcastic. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

JasonPratt

^^ Even if true -- and I've heard things to suggest a lot of the apparent conflict in the trailer is taken out of context -- the fact someone in production decided to take it wildly out of context for the trailer is disturbing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Martok

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 13, 2015, 10:44:49 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2015, 07:52:46 PM

Okay, I admit, this trailer makes the movie more intriguing. I'm really hoping it has the emotion quotient that the trailer hints at. I think I might go see it now.

This trailer did its job.  Now I'll actually consider paying $$ to see this movie.
Same here.  I'm now actually somewhat excited to see this. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

One of the subplots of the film seems to be the re-emergence of the Joker, to be revealed in Suicide Squad (with at least one brief Batman crossover -- or flashback?)

SPOILERS COMING FOR THE ARKHAM KNIGHT GAME

But evidence from the trailers of both films suggests the Joker may be a presumed-dead Dick Grayson (if not Jason Todd, since Grayon's tomb is visible -- two dead Robins isn't impossible but inherently less likely), combining the Red Hood plot from comics canon with the Tim Drake story from the DCAU continuity.

Or so goes a fan theory making the rounds, which looks like it has a bit of weight to it...

1.) This Joker is awfully young to be a foe of a Batman with already 20+ years of experience behind him. Rebuttal: he could have been one of Batman's last villains. Counter-rebuttal: even in that case he seems a bit too young.

2.) According to the BvS trailer, many good guys died and others didn't stay good. That sounds like a plot point being set up. Rebuttal: the same trailer seems to indicate that Batman became cruel. Maybe this is self-criticism? Counter-rebuttal: Wayne going after Superman doesn't sound like he's being self-critical; and if we're speaking hypothetically, the trailer doesn't specifically show Alfred referring to Batman as a good man gone cruel, so that could be a Robin ref again. Counter-counter-rebuttal: there is also some evidence the trailer has been intentionally pieced together to make Bats and Supes seem more antagonistic and dangerous than they're actually going to be. CCC-rebuttal: by that same evidence, statements made about Robin-Joker could be reframed to seem like they refer to Batman.

3.) The Joker not only knows a lot about Batman, but can get into the Batcave to mess with Robin's memorial. Rebuttal: depending on what he did to Robin, he might have tortured a lot of information out of him. Counter-rebuttal: the one story so far this has also happened in, he turned that Robin (Tim Drake) into a Joker sidekick to attack Batman with and then died in the process. (In Death in the Family, he just beat Jason Todd and left him to die in an explosion. In Arkham Knight he refused to learn anything from Todd, though he wanted Batman to know he had broken Todd down enough to talk; but Todd didn't turn into a Joker.)

4.) This would explain why the Joker let Harley tatt him up with various weird things including "Damaged" (Harley's holding the tat gun in a promo group photo for the Squad). Counter: the Joker is weird, and crazy tats are hardly beyond someone who glasgow smiled his face (the second Nolan film), or who convinced another supervillain to cut it off and sow it back on (comics canon). Counter-rebuttal: yeah, but the Joker doesn't usually think he's damaged. He likes who he is, and what he became. Even when he technically admits the experience damaged him, he thinks he came out better for it.

5.) Jared Leto called the his Joker character "a beautiful disaster". Rebuttal: anyone a fan of the Joker would easily agree to that.

6.) "I'm not gonna kill you. I'm just gonna hurt you. Very, very badly." Sounds like something the original Joker would have said to the captured Robin before the torture begins. Rebuttal: the strength of this comparison depends entirely on it sounding like something plausible a non-Robin Joker would say to a victim. Meaning there's proportionately no reason to suppose Robin-Joker is echoing it as a previous victim.

7.) The Joker has a small J tattooed under his eye. In Arkham Knight, the Joker branded Jason with a larger version of the same tattoo. Rebuttal: this doesn't look like an ownership brand or tat; it's so small most people don't even notice, whereas the whole point was so that Batman would be affronted Joker had done it to Jason to show the Joker owned him. (And also to give truly clueless people a visual reveal when the Knight takes off his helmet and starts saying who he is.  ::) That the dead movie Robin is almost surely Richard Grayson doesn't make any difference either way; the J would stand for Joker not really for Jason.) At best this would be a cutely seeded clue mandated by Warner Brothers to draw comparisons with ArkKnight's plot, since it isn't likely the people setting up the Joker's makeup/tatts would have known about that plot. Why would WB risk spoiling their surprise plot with a clue like this? -- is that idea even plausible for someone high enough up in WB management to know the story of both BvS and ArkKnight??

End game-spoiler space.

mirth

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

THAT'S Lex Luthor? Yep, last shred of interest lost. 'Grimdark' Superman, Zack Snyder's incompetence, that Lex Luthor and an obvious attempt by DC to catch up to the success of the Avengers is not likely to make for a good flick.

Huw the Poo

That's OK, having watched that trailer you've pretty much seen the film now anyway.

Yeah there's plenty to worry about isn't there?  I don't like that Luthor either and I really don't buy Ben Affleck as Batman (even less so as Bruce Wayne).  This will be one of those films I'll end up watching in a couple of years when staying with the in-laws.  About 1am, half the family have passed out, and someone mumbles "fuck it, let's put that Batman film on".  Then we attempt to watch it before falling asleep.