Batman vs Superman Trailer Leaked Online...

Started by BanzaiCat, April 17, 2015, 09:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Full-Batman-v-Superman-Trailer-Leaks-Online-70937.html

...though it has Spanish subtitles and was recorded on a shitty cellphone camera.

Personally...I'm pretty yaaawwwwwwn over this movie. I see nothing interesting here at all.

Arctic Blast

I lost interest at the announcement that it will be directed by Zach Snyder.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

I don't really have any big issues with Affleck, though I would definitely be a lot more interested in him directing this.

MetalDog

I'm from the Batman generation that saw Michael Keaton (who I thought did the best), Val Kilmer and George Clooney, so, Affleck as Batman is not a big deal from the perspective of continuity.  I haven't seen any of the Nolan/Bale Btaman's, so, it's not a case of loyalty to a supposedly superior portrayal.  No.  It's that anything I see Ben in, he's always the same guy from Good Will Hunting to me.  Just different emotions/facets of the same personality.  And smart ass Bostonians are not my thing (although, for some reason, I don't have the same problem with Matt Damon.  Go figure).

Arctic Blast

I think the biggest issue I have with this (Snyder aside) is how 'dark' it is. Not adult dark, like I felt the Nolan Batman movies were. No, this comes off as very '17 year old sitting in his basement feeling like the world is against him' dark. It's as if some guy spent the past 20 years reading old Spawn comics and listening to third-rate industrial bands, and now he decided to make a movie. It's 'dark' in the way that you felt like you were dark when you were 16 years old. The suck potential for this thing is off the charts. And if (when) it happens, it'll be a neverending chorus of "Goddamn Affleck. It's all his fault!" Not Snyder, not the script, not anything else...somehow, everything that this movie does wrong will be totally on Affleck.

Martok

In addition to everything else, I feel like DC is trying to "force" this along too quickly.  I know they feel like they don't have much choice, given the phenomenal success of the Marvel films, but I still think it's a mistake. 

Quote from: MetalDog on April 17, 2015, 11:27:33 PM
And that Ben Affleck would be Batman.
Also this. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

That's what being the face of the endeavor means.  You're going to have to take the hit if the movie bombs.  And noone put a gun to Ben's head and said, "You HAVE to play Batman in this movie!"  Having said that, if everything in the movie is a stinker, director, script, cgi, casting, etc., etc., then there's little you can do no matter HOW good your performance is.  I will also say that todays movie goer is sophisticated enough to know why a movie is bad (if they care about knowing that sort of thing), so blame can properly be assigned.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Marvel has hit the right formula with their movies.  Movies that kids, teens and adults can enjoy.  Main characters have their own stand alone
successful movies, then they're able to bring them all together and have even more success.  Just for fun, they'll create a TV show to answer some questions and tease upcoming movies.  But wait, not only do they pull it off once, but their about to repeat the whole thing again. 

Watching DC's two leading characters, I've only seen a couple of them in the last couple of years, and I don't think my son would enjoy them at all.  They're not fun. 

In reality, I think Marvel/Disney's key to being so successful is they came up with a complete long term strategy for what they wanted to do.  DC seems to just move from one movie to the next with no real thought on the whole package.   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Affleck has the jaw for playing Batman, that's for certain. Personally, I've always liked him as an actor and I'm hoping he does Batman justice. The problem with DC, from a fanboy perspective, is simply that Marvel heroes are better thought out and far grittier than DC across the board. I mean, Aquaman vs. Namor? C'mon!

The one exception? Batman. Batman just kicks ass and I'd put him up against anyone. The rest of the DC stable is generally composed of characters who Marvel simply does better. There is no real Superman comparison, but then again, Supes is historically so overpowered that in itself has taken away from the character. Attempts to water down Superman have been pretty dismal overall.

The Justice League vs. the X-Men or the Avengers? The JL simply comes in last in terms of interesting heroes. Batman should pack up the Batcave and move to Marvel.   O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I just don't get the hype. I know they did this to death in the DC comics, but I never read many of them.

I mean, Superman is an invincible alien. Batman is just a man. Granted, a rich, highly intelligent, butt-kicking man, but just a man. Unless he's got Kryptonite-bat-a-rangs I don't see how that's even going to be a fair fight.

Plus I'm harboring a great deal of apathy over the last two Superman films and could care less if he gets killed or not. Or if Affleck gets killed by Superman. Meh. No big loss in either case. Though I'm sure there's going to be some team-up in that movie at some point to fight against and yadda yadda yadda, yawn.

mirth

The Superman/Batman conflict was well done in The Dark Knight Returns, but it was part of a larger story, not the center piece. And Supe was basically a government sellout, so you were on board with his ass kicking.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I never read the Dark Knight Returns, just TDK but the 'Superman as an arm of the DOD' backstory was already part of it. How does the second comic compare? The first one was subversive on so many levels for someone like me who had not ready any Batman or Superman since the late 70's.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys