Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: gameleaper on March 18, 2013, 05:30:53 PM
the bigger the map = the more space and time to move, the more Gold, the more forts,bigger battles the more magic research, the higher levels we will reach.

I would have a look at westeros guys, its a great looking map and seems to work for 11 players, but I dont care realy, but maybe you should think about a bigger map, I played on greyhawk the monster map & it was fun because I was able to get more of everything.

i think the cradles quite epic

Nefaro

How large is Cradle, however?  Also - I think Cradle has some fixed content on the map, doesn't it?

The Riverlands maps on llamaserver look good.  There is one listed as a 12+1 player map (although there are no Forest location starts in it), and a modification of it further down the list too.  But there are quite a few different versions altogether, and the last one (RiverLandsNoStart) mentions VPs so I dunno what's up. 

Hrmm.. here's a Riverlands with 13 'Fixed Start Locations' that should give us enough space.  It seems to be a pretty popular map for multi-player there.  I'll check it out.

QuoteRiverlands - Fixed Starts for 13L + 1W
  226 Land + 19 Sea

d/l ...   http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11817&d=1334912468

Original thread for this map:  http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?p=802174#post802174

gameleaper

Nef , that looks ok!, The one thing I would hate is a wraparound map, I know with 11 we probably wont see one. I think Jason is the expert on Maps , we should let him find one ?

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on March 18, 2013, 06:05:58 PM
Nef , that looks ok!, The one thing I would hate is a wraparound map, I know with 11 we probably wont see one. I think Jason is the expert on Maps , we should let him find one ?

That one turned out to be a wraparound map when I fired up an 11 player game in it.

We may just end up having to go with "Cradle" after all.  It looks to be at about the right size in land provinces to be spacious enough (199).   The thing is.. there are evidentally a few prize provinces spread out on it that have higher magic site chances.  Something special to fight over, I guess, but I'm not sure how popular that is.

Also.. has anyone played "Glory Of The Gods (Multiplayer)"??   It's a vanilla MP map with 227 land + 47 sea.  That may be a bit too much sea, however.

parone

i like crowded maps, because they get really bloody really fast.  of course, i usually die.  but hey, it's a wargame.

that said, cradle is a pretty great map.   so while it is largish, it is fun to play on.

i liked LOL.  nice map also.

JasonPratt

I'm fine with either Cradle or Westeros.

Nice thing about Cradle is I think everyone already has it as part of our default map loadouts that game with the game!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Cradle sounds good to me.  Tried and true, right?  And no fuss.

I've not tried the Westeros map yet.  I'm a bit wary of maps borrowed directly from other games & literature for a couple reasons.  If the creator managed to get the hot spot coordinates done quite well, then that'd be a plus.  But it also kinda pulls me out of the Dominions 3 setting when I see mythological Japanese-style Oni fighting ancient War Elephants.. in the Riverlands.  :P

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but the kinda hand-drawn look of the maps in Dom3 pleasantly remind me of old fold-out maps from tabletop fantasy RPGs of the past.  :D  Plus.. it's easy to see where & what everything is that's sitting on it.

Yskonyn

Darn it you minions! *slams fist on table*
I sent you all on a simple mission! And look where we are now? Master's suggestion! Pff!

:D

I will reconfigure... Again...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Yskonyn

One more thing: Nefaro are going to join the game afterall? In that case I need to open up another spot, cause we would total 11 players if I am correct.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on March 18, 2013, 09:56:09 PM
Cradle sounds good to me.  Tried and true, right?  And no fuss.

I've not tried the Westeros map yet.  I'm a bit wary of maps borrowed directly from other games & literature for a couple reasons.  If the creator managed to get the hot spot coordinates done quite well, then that'd be a plus.  But it also kinda pulls me out of the Dominions 3 setting when I see mythological Japanese-style Oni fighting ancient War Elephants.. in the Riverlands.  :P

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but the kinda hand-drawn look of the maps in Dom3 pleasantly remind me of old fold-out maps from tabletop fantasy RPGs of the past.  :D  Plus.. it's easy to see where & what everything is that's sitting on it.

Thats a good point, the Oni would look out of place, I just watched Game Of Throwns second series, so I was a bit interested in the map.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 19, 2013, 03:59:47 AM
One more thing: Nefaro are going to join the game afterall? In that case I need to open up another spot, cause we would total 11 players if I am correct.

AFAIK hes in and picking his nation/pretender as we speak - thats how were upto 11

undercovergeek

servers back up - we're just waiting for Nefaro? map choice finally made?

but only 9 nations in the server - who else is missing?

Yskonyn

I was missing. :)
Pretender submitted. Once Nef sends in his pretender we can kick off!