Matrix World in Flames

Started by JudgeDredd, June 26, 2014, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on January 23, 2016, 11:35:04 AM
I thought solo play was working okay?

Still seems like fixes for solo...probably doesn't crash like netplay but I doubt it is clean...to be honest, I wonder how many people have even completed an entire large game, even solo?  Scares me to death to invest a lot of time and find out in the later war years yet another critical bug.

By all means, people can buy and try and maybe they can get some enjoyment out of it, but for me I have lost complete interest and faith:)

Grimnirsson

QuoteThe thing is it has heen out for over 2 years....So many bugs

Matrix should pull the plug on this project, refund for those who bought the mess and never talk about it again.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Flywheel

I know this is an old thread, but just want to express my disappointment in reading it all. I have just spotted WiF on Matrix and although it is £80.99 I got pretty excited at the scope of it, Then I spent a good portion of this evening watching and learning from it's in-depth YouTube tutorials. My mind was then made up, no food for a couple of weeks so I could buy it. Hang on, lets go to Grogheads, there must be some kind of review.
I am gutted...
I don't suppose there is any updates on this story?
Hold my beer and watch this!

JudgeDredd

I could be wrong - but as far as I'm aware, it's still not working. Of course, there will be "well, it is but..." - but afaik, last time I was interested in looking, it still wasn't working as designed.

For some reason supply (of oil?) stiskc in my head as not working properly and iirc that has been a long term issue. Certainly Netplay isn't working - and that was meant to be fixed two weeks after release.

There's seriously no point in asking on the Matrix forums because the people who are ever present on those forums have found work arounds or just simply happy that the game was ever made - warts and all. So you will not likely get a balanced view of the state of the game.

Not that my comments are "balanced"...I haven't loaded it up in some time. I do know the last time I loaded it, the tutorials in the game were not up to date and therefore, not really tutorials.

If I were you, I would go and look on the Matrix forums...don't ask - just read. Read the dev diary (the dev was (is?) keeping a list of things fixed and broken) and look through the depths of the forum for some info on it's status. I have to say, there were things the dev posted in the monthly update threads that left me scratching my head. I knew he had a life to lead - but seriously, I don't need to know he's completed his bathroom (or whatever it was I read one time)...I just want his game to work.

I loved the look of the game and the play methods intrigued me - but I was never going to spend what was around £100 of more at release to play a broken game. I did get it second hand from a person for £30 I think. But it's still £30 I've never got any use out of...as I said, the tutorials don't even help to learn the game now (or at least, they were not being kept up to date).

It was broke and afaik it's still not fully functional. To what extent it is still broken, I genuinely couldn't say.

If you do get it just remember what you are getting is a single player game. Netplay is broken, there's no pbem and there's no AI.
Alba gu' brath

Flywheel

I'm fine with what you've said, so thanks for the reply Dredd. No way would I throw £80 at a game that has ongoing serious issues. Thank goodness for this forum and this thread otherwise with it being so enticing I would have brought the thing.
Thanks again for the input.

JudgeDredd

You should go and have a look on the forums at Matrix though. It may have gotten better since I last looked. Alas - the progress, where made, seems to be painfully slow and I read at times that one fix broke something else.

But my memory is sketchy (at best) and I haven't been over there for a while to check...so if you are interested in the game (and can take it as a solitaire game) then I would suggest you pop in over there and have a little read at how it is.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Don't get me started on this "game" (if we can call it complete yet)....single worst purchase I made for a game!

JudgeDredd

As I said, I recall supply being a long term issue and sure enough, a read at the latest post in the Monthly Update has this as the opening line

Bugs
In July I spent 3+ weeks working on Supply.

That's been a loooong time now that supply has not been working properly.

That was mostly spent on tertiary supply, to make sure all possible supply sources are correctly identified. There were only a handful of bugs, but those were very difficult to locate in the 18,000+ lines of code devoted solely to calculating and displaying supply. In effect, I went over and over code that was working perfectly, looking for the few places where the logic had a fault.

I remember something about in certain circumstances it wouldn't work and in some it would - probably adding to the amount of time trying to fix it. But those are the kind of problems I remember people having...pointing out an issue, people saying it wasn't broken and it was in their head and then it being discovered that actually "a problem" did exists but was intermittent.

So yeah - still issues. Isn't supply a big thing for the game?

I think the term "buyer beware" should be applied liberally.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

If and when it is ever finished, the game will be so outdated from a technology standpoint (hasn't it been in development for 10+ years???)...Matrix really disappointed me on this one with a lot of early promises of quick fixes......no way they didn't know the shape of this game upon release.  I don't ask for refunds much, but the company should have offered them.

undercovergeek

The lies they peddled when this was released was the last time I ever even went to the matrix site - I'm insignificant in the sum of their whole but I would never buy another matrix game and would tell anyone I could to never buy one - it's still there in plain sight 'for sale' like a working game - they should be damn well ashamed to take people's money

Flywheel

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 28, 2016, 05:05:25 PM
You should go and have a look on the forums at Matrix though. It may have gotten better since I last looked. Alas - the progress, where made, seems to be painfully slow and I read at times that one fix broke something else.

Yes, I may do.

...so if you are interested in the game (and can take it as a solitaire game) then I would suggest you pop in over there and have a little read at how it is.  O0

I'm not entirely clear on this, if you have a pc game and there is no computer AI opponent, how do you play a solitaire game? Of course, I might just be thick  :-[

Grim.Reaper

It's funny they still have all their disclaimers on their store page after all this time...if those are required, shouldn't sell the darn thing...

----------------------------------
IMPORTANT: For news on the state of Multiplayer at release and World in Flames, please read this Forum post.

For more information on physical copy shipment and customs costs, please read this Forum post.

For more in-game content, read the "Seven Moments of WoW"!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This title does not include an AI player in the initial release.  It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames, including an integrated multiplayer forum and an official multiplayer server for easy player matching and networking.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Flywheel on August 28, 2016, 05:19:48 PM

Yes, I may do.

...so if you are interested in the game (and can take it as a solitaire game) then I would suggest you pop in over there and have a little read at how it is.  O0

I'm not entirely clear on this, if you have a pc game and there is no computer AI opponent, how do you play a solitaire game? Of course, I might just be thick  :-[

You play all sides in the game......not really my favorite way either....but I originally bought the game thinking I could at least learn the rules before an AI was implemented....

mirth

The idea that WiF could ever be successfully converted to a computer game was pure fantasy. Matrix had no business foisting this off on the public. It's a real black mark against a usually reputable company.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Flywheel on August 28, 2016, 05:19:48 PM

Yes, I may do.

By playing all sides.

It requires considerably "detachment" to one side or another and relies on your good will. Would you move that ship there if you didn't know that the British were going to move their submarines there in the next turn or two...that kind of thing.

It's especially difficult to do with this game because you will be playing ALL sides - and there's more than two. Of course, some have said it's easier because there's so many units that you simply can't keep track of everything and therefore don't actually know that the move you are about to make could be a bad one.

It's certainly not ideal.
Alba gu' brath