Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

What is the F-14 like when flying alone?

Do they transfer some of the functions to the front seat? What solutions did they develop?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on December 23, 2020, 01:10:55 PM

Do they transfer some of the functions to the front seat? What solutions did they develop?

The F-14 is just awesome, period. It's awesome on the ground, in the air, when stable or when spinning out of control. It's hands down one of the best modules available in DCS.

The Jester AI will take care of everything in the backseat. You communicate with him via the intercom system. If you want to hop into the RIO seat, you can and the AI will take over as pilot, but I'm sure its just straight and level for the most part.

There is no rear seat AI in MP.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 23, 2020, 01:16:44 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on December 23, 2020, 01:10:55 PM

The F-14 is just awesome, period. It's awesome on the ground, in the air, when stable or when spinning out of control. It's hands down one of the best modules available in DCS.

The Jester AI will take care of everything in the backseat. You communicate with him via the intercom system. If you want to hop into the RIO seat, you can and the AI will take over as pilot, but I'm sure its just straight and level for the most part.

There is no rear seat AI in MP.

Thank you.

mikeck

There are no planes more satisfying to fly well than the F-14 and mig 21 imho. The Jester AI takes care of a lot of stuff you would have to do in other modules -so in that way, it's easier. But it's a tough aircraft to fly well. If you can though, there's not another aircraft that can outfly you.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

My beef with DCS at the moment is what to fly.

I'm awful...I mean really awful...at helicopters (doesn't bode well for the release of the Apache). I love the F-18 but I want to ground pound and I'm not interested in AA. I love the F-14 but again  more of a fighter than a ground pounder. I love the A'10...but I want to fly from carriers

Also...and I think JH mentioned this many moons ago...you get spoilt with the ease of the Hornet.

Basically I want an F/A-18 campaign from a carrier that is solely for ground support.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2020, 05:34:56 AM
Basically I want an F/A-18 campaign from a carrier that is solely for ground support.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305852/ Oil In The Water - F/A-18C & Persian Gulf Campaign
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305784/ Operation Saber Thrust - Supercarriers (This Campaign involves the use of Air-Air / SEAD / Air-Ground / Intercept)
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307739/ Arab Spring (12 missions of A-A, A-G and a Harpoon sortie too)

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 23, 2020, 01:16:44 PM
... or when spinning out of control. It's hands down one of the best modules available in DCS.

"You crashed again."
"Yeah, but did you see how sweet she looked going in?"

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 28, 2020, 06:40:14 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 28, 2020, 05:34:56 AM

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305852/ Oil In The Water - F/A-18C & Persian Gulf Campaign
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305784/ Operation Saber Thrust - Supercarriers (This Campaign involves the use of Air-Air / SEAD / Air-Ground / Intercept)
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307739/ Arab Spring (12 missions of A-A, A-G and a Harpoon sortie too)
wow. I actually didn't know there were user campaigns. Thank you
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

For some reason, the Hornet really clicks for me. She was a logical progression from the Harrier, which is probably the first module I became "fluent" in with all major systems. Having become accustomed to the Hornet's DDIs and well-developed 4th gen avionics, I've struggled with learning some of the older aircraft. I eventually became competent at flying the Tomcat, but really just flying and I had to force myself to do it because...F-14!  Have not attempted to learn anything from the RIO position.

I have had some success with the Viper, but I think it's pretty comparable in some ways to the Hornet so the transition for me is reasonable.

One aircraft I really want to master, but continue to struggle with is the warthog. I don't know what it is, but I find that the nomenclature that changes from one DDI screen to the next confuses me to no end, and I ultimately give up because trying to get comfortable with it requires so much attention and focus that I begin to lose proficiency with the other aircraft and I'm just not willing to give up all that I worked so hard to learn.  Also, whenever I get the urge to hop into something else other than the hornet, I almost always go with the Viper since it's more versatile than the Hog and its just a really fast, nimble and cool aircraft. Maybe once I get really bored of the Hornet I'll once and for all attempt to tackle the A-10...but until, then, it's the F-18 (with a little viper) all the way.

By the way, I also fly mostly A/G, but the glory really is with A/A. Most of my points and medals have come from splashing aircraft. The only thing I have to show from moving mud is a Purple Heart. It's going to be hard to find a campaign for the hornet that doesn't involve any A/A because it is a true strike fighter. But yeah, I'd love to see a hornet campaign over Syria that involves striking Isis target. Should be relatively free of true A/A threats.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Are there Warthog campaigns?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

smittyohio

Gusington

I don't know when I will get the time or brainpower, but now I want to dip my toe into the DCS side of the pool. I have been in love with the Warthog since I was a little kid.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

These are the offical A-10 campaigns. Not sure if any of them function with the new A-10C II.

The Enemy Within 3.0 Campaign

The Enemy Within 3.0 is a complete remake of the critically-acclaimed The Enemy Within campaign for the A-10C Warthog.

This story-driven campaign puts you in cockpit of the Warthog as part of a small, 6-ship US detachment sent to Georgia. Your mission is to help contain a growing threat from a terrorist organization calling itself the "Caucasus Liberation Army" (CLA). As the story unfolds, you will be faced with a variety of challenges, including close air support, precision strikes, combat search and rescue, anti-ship strikes, and even air to air combat.

Striving to be as realistic as possible, the units featured in the campaign are based on their real-life counterparts. It also uses a sophisticated radio control system, meaning that you must tune your on-board radios to the correct frequency to hear the more than 2000 custom voiceovers available throughout 21 missions.

A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign

The A-10C Tactical Training Qualification campaign puts you in the cockpit of an A-10C Warthog, and tests your ability to interact with JTACs, Airborne FACs, AC-130 Gunships and manage Close Air Support (CAS) assets.

Based on real world qualification requirements you will fly 15 performance check rides to execute against pre-defined performance objectives. If successful you will rate a Qualified rating and proceed to the next performance objective.

A-10C Stone Shield Campaign

A-10C: Stone Shield is a story-driven campaign that puts you in the cockpit of an A-10C Warthog as a USAF pilot assigned to the 445th Air Expeditionary Wing. In 2015 Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Russia have announced the start of the "Caucasus-2015" military exercise. Intelligence analysis later reveals that the exercises is actually cover for Russia forces repositioning to the Abkhazian territory and further escalating tensions in the Caucasus region. The 445th Air Expeditionary Wing and the 6th mechanized brigade have been deployed to Georgia as a response by NATO to counter Russia's military aggression against its peaceful neighbor.

A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign

The A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification campaign puts you in the cockpit of an A-10C Warthog, and tests your ability to use the aircraft's weapon systems successfully.

Based on real world qualification requirements you will fly 10 performance check rides to execute against pre-defined performance objectives. If successful you will rate a Qualified rating and proceed to the next performance objective.

A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign

The A-10C Basic Flight Training Qualification campaign puts you in the cockpit of an A-10C Warthog, and tests your ability to fly the aircraft successfully.

Based on real world qualification requirements you will fly 12 performance check rides to execute against pre-defined performance objectives. If successful you will rate a Qualified rating and proceed to the next performance objective.

You will be rated on the following areas and these results will form your final rating:

A-10C 16-2 Red Flag Campaign

The A-10C: 16-2 Red Flag Campaign is a depiction of flying the A-10C "Warthog" during a typical Red Flag exercise in the skies over Nevada. This campaign includes extensive briefing, map, and lineup card PDF files for each mission and was designed in consultation with the renowned author Steve Davies.

All of the missions are based on input from pilots that have flown in Red Flag exercises and will provide you a challenge that will test even the most skilled virtual pilots.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Has ANYONE EVER successfully refuelled?

I tried it the other day...it took me an absolute age to close with the tanker only to have it turn to follow it's track...I then had to catch it again - I see-sawed forward and backward, left and right, up and down...there's just not a chance in hell I'm going to refuel this aircraft. Normally I'd say practice practice practice...but good gawd it's the most difficult thing to do.

Everything else in the sim - including carrier landings - are baby easy compared to this.
Alba gu' brath