Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Depends. Did you finish it by yourself, or did you have help?  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Congratulations!  Admire the perseverance. 

Martok

Quote from: W8taminute on May 19, 2020, 08:26:09 AM
HA!  I finished it!  After 7 years of agony I finished it!

What have I finished you say?  Dark Souls. 

I started playing Dark Souls on Xbox360 back in 2013.  As some of you may already know Dark Souls is a game that prides itself of being insanely tough to the point where most people give up on it. 

Somehow though I managed to make my way all the way to the final boss.  I looked forward to beating the game but when I encountered that last boss for whatever reason I couldn't figure out how to beat him.  I must have failed at least a hundred times.  I got so aggravated after putting in 150+ hours into the game to fail so miserably.  Then Dark Souls II came out and I played and beat that game. 

Over the course of the past 7 years I would revisit Dark Souls and try to beat that last boss but to no avail.  I just couldn't do it even after watching every YouTube video and reading every written guide I could find on how to beat Gwyn Lord of Cinder.

Everyone who wrote a guide or posted a video kept saying that he's really one of the easier bosses to beat which was disappointing for being an end boss.  I just couldn't see that though and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what I was doing wrong.  I never gave up however because I really like the Dark Souls series and I was determined to win.  I'd play the game for a few days off and on trying to beat Gwyn but couldn't do it...until late last night. 

I stopped trying out different strategies that people had recommended and just concentrated on what I was doing wrong.  What were his attack patterns if any and what did I do over and over again wrongly to try to counter them.  When I looked at the whole picture after clearing my mind of all the advice I had read or seen I finally identified what I was doing wrong and I beat that mo fo!  I finally beat him!!! <:-)

It took me a total of about 210 hours of game time to do it but I did it.
Congratulations, sir!  Very well done.  :clap: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Thanks guys!  Con put it nicely and that is exactly how I felt as I was nearing the end of the fight, certain that I would win.

Quote from: Con on May 19, 2020, 09:16:32 AM
There is a real rush when you are so deeply invested in a game through time committed etc to suddenly see that you might have a way to beat the game.  The holy crap its working moment- the I am so close will I be able to do it- the panic over the thought of failing.

I find my heart pounding and breath shortening like I was a kid again doing some insanely dangerous thing.  Its amazing that some electronic pixels can elicit such a strong feeling.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

Finished my Empire Total War main campaign....all of India (but the achievement did not unlock on steam  :-\) and also Persia. Could be a cool game if the AI wasn't that bad (both on the strategic and tactical level).

Martok

Congrats, Anguille!  Let's hope they come out with Empire 2 someday.  8) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SirAndrewD

After four years I finally reloaded and finished Doom 2016 today.   

After they remove Denuvo from Doom Eternal I'll be giving it a go.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

-budd-

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 23, 2020, 08:28:16 PM

Took me about that long to finish also, uninstall, reinstall.

Whats this Denuvo crap, first i'm hearing about that. My plan is to grab Eternal during the holiday sale. The new Serious Sam 4 is coming out August, new engine, supposed to allow an absolutely insane number of enemies on screen at once. That's listed at $39.99 , might pre-order the game, love me some Sam carnage.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

Quote from: -budd- on May 23, 2020, 09:53:52 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 23, 2020, 08:28:16 PM

Took me about that long to finish also, uninstall, reinstall.

Whats this Denuvo crap, first i'm hearing about that. My plan is to grab Eternal during the holiday sale. The new Serious Sam 4 is coming out August, new engine, supposed to allow an absolutely insane number of enemies on screen at once. That's listed at $39.99 , might pre-order the game, love me some Sam carnage.

A DRM update they rolled out to Doom Eternal gives kernel-level access to your computer.  In non-technical terms, it has fuck-you access to your whole PC, which would be a huge deal if there's ever a big security breach along the lines of Yahoo.

Last I heard they're rushing to undo all this fuckery.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

Congratulations SirAndrew and Angille.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on May 23, 2020, 10:29:10 PM
A DRM update they rolled out to Doom Eternal gives kernel-level access to your computer.  In non-technical terms, it has fuck-you access to your whole PC, which would be a huge deal if there's ever a big security breach along the lines of Yahoo.

Last I heard they're rushing to undo all this fuckery.

Just so. 

They were making it non-optional for single players because of the new invasion mechanic, where if you open your single player campaign up, players can come in and occupy demons that you're fighting. 

But yeah, the software is far too invasive.  It wouldn't cause any slowing to my rig, but it has to others.  Outside of just taxing the system, yeah, kernel level access.   

I simply don't trust Bethesda and id to protect my data with something that invasive.   I'll play it after it gets excised and it goes on a sale for the summer sale.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

I finished Red Steel today after a long interlude of Xenonauts & Tales of Maj'Eyal.

Red Steel is really good - but I got the game after finishing 3 of Erik's Order of Battle Custom Campaigns (which are about double the length of "official" campaigns) and wanted a break from computer wargames.  Just needed a break from OOB after finishing the review through no fault of Red Steel.

Game is very good and lacked any of the "space filler" scenarios that some of the other campaigns have had.  The only fault I have with the AI is being too aggressive instead of retreating/reinforcing when getting overextended.  You can sometimes sucker the AI into leaving their flanks open or sucker fighters into AA coverage.

To win Red Steel you must be able to win pure offensive scenarios, pure defensive scenarios (including those which strictly limit the number of armor or air units you can deploy) and a bunch of scenarios where you defend in some sectors and conduct offensive operations in others.  The only small bugs I encountered got eliminated (or just did not occur) in the last 4 or so scenarios of the campaign.  I can recommend it more strongly now after finishing it - but I was asked to complete the review by the release date.

Sir Slash

Congrats on the Win AB.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: airboy on May 31, 2020, 06:13:11 PM
I finished Red Steel today after a long interlude of Xenonauts & Tales of Maj'Eyal.

Red Steel is really good - but I got the game after finishing 3 of Erik's Order of Battle Custom Campaigns (which are about double the length of "official" campaigns) and wanted a break from computer wargames.  Just needed a break from OOB after finishing the review through no fault of Red Steel.

Game is very good and lacked any of the "space filler" scenarios that some of the other campaigns have had.  The only fault I have with the AI is being too aggressive instead of retreating/reinforcing when getting overextended.  You can sometimes sucker the AI into leaving their flanks open or sucker fighters into AA coverage.

To win Red Steel you must be able to win pure offensive scenarios, pure defensive scenarios (including those which strictly limit the number of armor or air units you can deploy) and a bunch of scenarios where you defend in some sectors and conduct offensive operations in others.  The only small bugs I encountered got eliminated (or just did not occur) in the last 4 or so scenarios of the campaign.  I can recommend it more strongly now after finishing it - but I was asked to complete the review by the release date.

I'm not familiar with Red Steel, know nothing about it, but regardless, anyone who actually finishes a game is to be congratulated.  It's rare these days that I ever do.

Anguille

Just completed Hercule Poirot's ABC murder....very well done game.