Sea Power: Naval Combat in the Missile Age

Started by Jarhead0331, December 18, 2019, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julhelm

Quote from: hellfish6 on April 13, 2020, 08:03:26 PM
Like the Cold Waters dynamic campaign?
It has elements of both Atlantic Fleet and Cold Waters, along with some new ideas.

Hog_in_Armour

I've been perving on here for a while but I thought I'd join just to ask a cheeky question.

What's mod support going to be like? Cold waters was great for how easy it was to change the numbers and stats but adding in new 3d models or modifying them seemed like a black art (I bow to those who managed it).

The playable subs and more mod means that I'm still playing cold waters regularly just because of all the extra subs. It would be amazing if it was easier to modify the 3d assets for sea power. I guess that you don't want to make your models too easy for rivals to steal but it would be awesome if there was an easier way to either stretch and tweak the models so that they can be made to look like something else. Or perhaps it would be possible to import basic assets that aren't made natively by you guys? I'm just spit balling and I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff so forgive me if what I say is a bit dumb. Modding just seems like a great way to get content into the game that might not otherwise be in there.

I'm very excited for the game and wish the devs the best of luck.

Toonces

^ Oh man, that is a fantastic user name!

Modding is always such an interesting topic.  As a player and customer, I'm a huge fan.  There are tons of games that are much improved by modding, and plenty of games that I've purchased, not for the original content, but the modded content.

Thirdwire sims are a perfect example of this.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

Quote from: Hog_in_Armour on April 25, 2020, 06:35:45 AM
I've been perving on here for a while but I thought I'd join just to ask a cheeky question.

What's mod support going to be like? Cold waters was great for how easy it was to change the numbers and stats but adding in new 3d models or modifying them seemed like a black art (I bow to those who managed it).

The playable subs and more mod means that I'm still playing cold waters regularly just because of all the extra subs. It would be amazing if it was easier to modify the 3d assets for sea power. I guess that you don't want to make your models too easy for rivals to steal but it would be awesome if there was an easier way to either stretch and tweak the models so that they can be made to look like something else. Or perhaps it would be possible to import basic assets that aren't made natively by you guys? I'm just spit balling and I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff so forgive me if what I say is a bit dumb. Modding just seems like a great way to get content into the game that might not otherwise be in there.

In my gaming life, I 'grew up' with Operation Flashpoint/Arma, Panzer Elite and Silent Hunter III/IV, so I have a healthy appreciation for how dedicated modders can take a game and run with it to some amazing places. For whatever it's worth, I really hope the team thinks about opening up the game for modded assets at the very least - I expect it won't be long before they start amazing all of us. I think in the long run it could even translate into more sales.

Hell, the guys who make CMO began as Harpoon modders... it's a gaming ecosystem worth sustaining.

Hog_in_Armour

Quote from: hellfish6 on April 25, 2020, 05:03:26 PM

In my gaming life, I 'grew up' with Operation Flashpoint/Arma, Panzer Elite and Silent Hunter III/IV, so I have a healthy appreciation for how dedicated modders can take a game and run with it to some amazing places. For whatever it's worth, I really hope the team thinks about opening up the game for modded assets at the very least - I expect it won't be long before they start amazing all of us. I think in the long run it could even translate into more sales.

Hell, the guys who make CMO began as Harpoon modders... it's a gaming ecosystem worth sustaining.

Exactly, and ditto arma. I still love the original Rome total war from 2001 and because it had an active mod community for over 15 years that kept expanding the game, although in that case I think the mods actually surpassed the Rome 2 game that came out 10+ years later.

Xaron

What's mod support going to be like?

That is indeed a good question. Let me just answer it: We plan to add full modding support. As we use Unity the way it would work is that you would have to use Unity as well and create so called asset bundles which contain all assets, including meshes, sounds, effects, textures, ... just everything. In addition to that we use ini files as well similar to Cold Waters for all the values and stats the in game objects have.

So the asset bundles to use are then referenced in its own ini file so basically you should be able to add own stuff pretty easily as long as you can work with Unity.

We will provide some guide for modding at some point and provide kind of templates as well as examples.

Thank you so much for your kind words! :) All the best to you as well!

hellfish6

Hog_in_Armour

IICptMillerII

Every new screenshot and bit of information makes me want this game more and more. This is definitely my most anticipated war game on the horizon. The great graphics, promising simulation fidelity, and the modern air/naval setting are all things I've been craving for a long time. Couldn't be more excited for this game!

The_Admiral

By the way, for your information Drachinifel (aye, that Drachinifel https://www.youtube.com/user/Drachinifel/about ) has recently opened a special channel on his own discord to allow us (Triassic for Sea Power, DDG for Task Force Admiral) to interact with his community. Until we get our own official discords, don't hesitate to hop in there if you want to say hi & interact.

If you have the software, this way please
https://discord.gg/VfeDmKC

Cheers :)

hellfish6

Quote from: The_Admiral on April 28, 2020, 02:26:44 AM
By the way, for your information Drachinifel (aye, that Drachinifel https://www.youtube.com/user/Drachinifel/about ) has recently opened a special channel on his own discord to allow us (Triassic for Sea Power, DDG for Task Force Admiral) to interact with his community. Until we get our own official discords, don't hesitate to hop in there if you want to say hi & interact.

If you have the software, this way please
https://discord.gg/VfeDmKC

Cheers :)

It's asking me to verify by phone and I'm not at all interested in that. If some kind heart wouldn't mind keeping us unwashed, privacy-appreciating masses here informed of any Discord-confined developments in these games I'd be most appreciative.

The_Admiral

Oh well, no worry - that's simply an interface for talking to us. Nothing much - it's more about Q&A than anything. There won't be discord-only updates for them or for us, no worry!

Julhelm

Well, we sure haven't been very active here lately. Time to fix that. Here's our latest dev diary, you might find it interesting:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1286220/view/3052847052557404330

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Julhelm on February 04, 2021, 08:32:31 PM
Well, we sure haven't been very active here lately. Time to fix that. Here's our latest dev diary, you might find it interesting:

Easily one of my most anticipated titles in like forever.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Julhelm on February 04, 2021, 08:32:31 PM

Great to get another update! Radio silence is only appropriate when EMCON Alpha is active  ;D

Completely agree with JH, this is my most anticipated title by far.