2017 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

My favorite Tom Brady stat I heard today

Tom Brady's career percentage of seasons making it to the Super Bowl:  44%
Russell Westbrook's career field goal percentage on the basketball court: 43%

It's more likely that Tom Brady is in the Super Bowl at the end of the season than Russell Westbrook hits a jumper on any given night in an NBA game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on August 03, 2017, 05:26:20 PM
These are some incredible numbers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/sports/football/tom-brady-40-new-england-patriots.html

It really couldn't be any clearer than Brady when you're talking GOAT. You can hate the Patriots, you can debate the top five or even ten QB's to ever play and have plenty of material, but only Manning has come close to Brady's single-minded focus on the game. Personally I would choose Montana first in a fantasy draft but damn....how do you argue Brady's success given how long he's been at the top? The dude has five Super Bowl rings. And will it really surprise anyone if Tom adds a sixth Super Bowl ring this year?

mirth

I'm a huge Montana fan, but it's hard to argue with Brady as GOAT. The only thing I would say for Montana is that he won every time he went to the Super Bowl, but there's really no debate anymore after last year against the Falcons.

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on August 03, 2017, 07:44:57 PM
I'm a huge Montana fan, but it's hard to argue with Brady as GOAT. The only thing I would say for Montana is that he won every time he went to the Super Bowl, but there's really no debate anymore after last year against the Falcons.

I agree completely. If I had to win one game, I would choose Montana first in a fantasy draft, but Brady is the clear GOAT. Captain America has secured his position at the top of the QB chart.

bayonetbrant

Otto Graham

Played 10 years in the NFL

Played in the title game 10 times.

(But yeah, Super Bowl era?  Tom.  All day, every day.)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
Otto Graham

Played 10 years in the NFL

Played in the title game 10 times.

(But yeah, Super Bowl era?  Tom.  All day, every day.)

Yeah, uh....back when there were eight teams maybe. Honestly, I think it's really difficult to compare teams or players from such different eras....it's hardly even the same game. But no, it won't stop us, ha!  O0

Marty Ward

It is impossible to fairly compare QB's from different eras. For example Brady has completed almost exactly twice as many passes (5244) as Graham attempted (2626). In their time both were the best there was. Brady is certainly the best in the past 40 years.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

Yeah, if you want a fair comparison for today, you have to look at post-1978, when they went to a 16-game schedule and changed the pass interference rules

bayonetbrant

The flip side is, if playing back in Otto Graham's day was so easy, how come no one else went to 10 straight title games?

MetalDog

My mistake
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Marty Ward

Another useless stat between Brady and Graham, they have about the same TD% rate, 6.6% for Graham and 5.5% for Brady but Brady has an incredibly low 1.8% INT rate

Graham also has 1 INT for a TD and 1 fumble recovery for a TD along with a few hundred punt/kick-off return yards..
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

mirth

Did Graham really play both quarterback and defensive back for his first 3 seasons?! Damn that's impressive if he did.

bayonetbrant

One of my all-time favorite useless stats is that Brett Favre's first career completion was to....  himself, on a batted ball.