"Bloody" Day at ESPN today

Started by bayonetbrant, April 26, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Lots of layoffs coming today, mostly front-facing people.

Confirmed so far:

Ed Werden, NFL reporter
https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/857225944221831168

Scott Burnside, NHL reporter
https://twitter.com/OvertimeScottB

Dana O'Neil, College hoops reporter
https://twitter.com/ESPNDanaOneil
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Pierre LeBrun too. With him and Burnside, that's a major cut to NHL coverage
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2017, 10:12:02 AM
Wow. 100 people

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/layoffs-hit-espn-as-network-sheds-air-talent-997616

Deitsch & Miller have both been talking about layoffs coming for weeks, so it didn't sneak up on anyone. But it still sucks when you see the names come across the wire

bayonetbrant

John Buccigross - another hockey stalwart

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Quote from: Windigo on April 26, 2017, 10:42:50 AM
So what's the scoop on why?

Money.  They spent a shit-ton of money bidding against themselves for on-air rights to games (esp NFL and NBA) and with subscribers cutting the cord on cable, they're not expanding at a ridiculous rate like they used to, so Disney (corporate parent) is wanting to see payroll come down to help balance things out.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 26, 2017, 10:35:15 AM
John Buccigross - another hockey stalwart

apparently they're now 'walking back' on Buccigross and he's not out

Windigo

wanting to see payroll come down to help balance things out

and therefore dropping show/production quality and losing more subscribers....

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on April 26, 2017, 10:48:11 AM

They've been hemorrhaging subscribers for the past few years. The payroll dumps were inevitable.

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2017, 10:52:09 AM
Quote from: Windigo on April 26, 2017, 10:48:11 AM

They've been hemorrhaging subscribers for the past few years. The payroll dumps were inevitable.

Next they'll outsource to China and India.

"Elephant Polo Quarter Finals. Coming up next!"

DoctorQuest

ESPN needs to disconnect from cable themselves. I think they would be better served with independent streaming services that folks could subscribe to without a cable subscription. Maybe not. I am not qualified to run the numbers. I was ESPNless for a bit until I signed up for Sling TV. I missed it a bit but not enough to pay my cable company for way more channels than I need just to get ESPN channels.

The bottom line is you can watch a buttload of sports without ESPN. Or I don't mind watching some games after the fact on WatchESPN.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

DQ, that's assuming enough people could get fast enough internet access that isn't capped.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

A bunch of college football reporters getting whacked.