5 Shows that get more praise than they deserve

Started by MetalDog, September 27, 2014, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And you're not going to like it.  With one exception, I don't watch any of the shows.  But I know you guys do.  So, enjoy!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-current-tv-shows-that-get-more-praise-than-they-deserve/

Oh, and he's right about zombies.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on September 27, 2014, 09:59:49 PM
And you're not going to like it.  With one exception, I don't watch any of the shows.  But I know you guys do.  So, enjoy!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-current-tv-shows-that-get-more-praise-than-they-deserve/

He was ok until he dissed bacon

Huw the Poo

Quote from: MetalDog on September 27, 2014, 09:59:49 PM

The biggest problem I had with The Walking Dead is that it had very little to do with zombies.  It's a soap opera, nothing more.  What, we're supposed to give a shit that someone is shagging someone else's partner when everyone around you has turned into a zombie?!  Awful show.

As for Doctor Who...criticising the special effects?  Really?  I can think of a few hundred much better reasons to hate it! :)

bbmike

Sounds like one angry teenager trying to get attention. I wonder what five shows he watches? Well, it is a 'humor' site. Maybe that explains it? And I've only watched a couple of those shows. Some I've never heard of.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bbmike on September 28, 2014, 08:04:00 AM
Sounds like one angry teenager trying to get attention.

Heh.  It's a standard clickbait article, nothing more.  The internet is full of them - like "100 best games of ALL TIME!".  They exist only to generate clicks, hence the splitting across two pages.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 28, 2014, 05:20:01 AM
As for Doctor Who...criticising the special effects?  Really?  I can think of a few hundred much better reasons to hate it! :)

and I can think of one very good reason right now to have Gus attack your ankles.  >:(
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

I don't watch Big Bang Theory.  My kids all think I would get a big kick out of it.  I watched the video clip he included in the article without the laugh track and I agree.  Not funny at all.  However, you can take anything with a body of work and find its best moments and worst.  So, judging a show entirely on one person trying to prove a point is a bad thing.

Huw the Poo

BBT isn't bad, I do get a couple of genuine laughs out of each episode (not that I watch it religiously or anything).  The writers definitely have geek cred, and the character of Sheldon is quite something...worth watching at least once.  It definitely fits into the overhyped category though, especially since - as with most comedies - it gets worse as time goes on.

Gusington

The Walking Dead is a lot more than a soap opera...and I'm just a casual fan!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

GDS_Starfury

I like Walking Dead an its mostly well written and shot but I also consider it a guide for what not to do.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I didn't even click the link but I'm 99% certain that the author is Adam Todd Brown.  He's a snotty, opinionated little cunt of a man, 90% of whose articles are nothing more than him shitting on anyone and everyone who has a different opinion on pop culture than he does.  The other 10% are him telling everyone how awesome he is because he does a lot of drugs, yo.   Seems like  he's stuck as a perpetual 2nd year philosophy major who never left the dorms and just bores everyone around him with his views on life, man.

MetalDog

You would be correct about the author of the article.  I wouldn't have put the spin on it you did, but, I can see where you would draw the conclusions about Brown.  I don't often read Cracked, so I have no animus against any one who writes there.

Gusington

I can take or leave zombies. But the tension created in the first few seasons of Walking Dead is better than most horror movies.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 28, 2014, 11:11:11 AM
I didn't even click the link but I'm 99% certain that the author is Adam Todd Brown.  He's a snotty, opinionated little cunt of a man, 90% of whose articles are nothing more than him shitting on anyone and everyone who has a different opinion on pop culture than he does.  The other 10% are him telling everyone how awesome he is because he does a lot of drugs, yo.   Seems like  he's stuck as a perpetual 2nd year philosophy major who never left the dorms and just bores everyone around him with his views on life, man.

Funny....I read the article and drew a mental picture of the author as a drinking-tea-with-pinkie-extended snot who probably lives to troll the achievements of others who have done well. And then I read your take, LOL! Which, by the way, you nailed it....Adam Tod Brown. Todd with one "d" nonetheless. Even has a snooty name.  ;D

Seriously, if this cat doesn't like TWD, I could care less. Nor could the millions of other's who make the show #1. Wonder how many millions of people read his columns? Markedly less, I suspect....