31-yo-guy starts watching Harry Potter, now understands 90% more of internet

Started by JasonPratt, November 14, 2014, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Stumbled across this by accident, at BuzzFeed UK.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/wood-4-wood

Originally he meant to just tweet while watching it, but adds photos and gifs with captions.

"When you make a man a fire, you warm him for a while. When you set a man on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life." -- Hermoine

He's up to Deathly Hallows Part 1 now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

I wasted faaarrrr too much time at work today paging through the entries up to Movie 7.

Great commentary series; horribly coded html pages.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

I'm guessing I shouldn't click the link if I haven't read the books or watched the movies yet? 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

you won't get the jokes but it probably won't spoil anything for your
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

It will totally spoil at least the movies (in broad details), and so also the books where the plots overlap (a number of things having been removed for the movie adaptations).

However, if you're never planning to watch the movie series, you can run through them vicariously with this guy in a painless way. :) He started out sceptical of whether he'd like them, but liked the first one enough to keep going and was sold on the series by #3.

The author does overlook some important contextual details (like why Snape is so hostile to Harry) and gets a few major plot points very wrong (like what happens to the philosopher's / sorcerer's stone in the first movie), but you'd pick those up in an actual watchthrough.

If you ever decided to read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (and you should, it's a legitimately great work of fan-edit plot upgrading, which is slated to be completed by early next year), you'd probably want to read something like this Buzzfeed series to get a clear idea of what happens in 'actual' canon to appreciate what changes and what stays the same.

BanzaiCat

I only broke down and read the Harry Potter series because some friends of ours were VERY VERY into it and she let me borrow the books. This was about six or so years ago. I loved the books; at least the first several. Once it got darker it lost much of its charm. It became less kid-friendly, IMO.

JasonPratt

^^ That's true about the movies, too. They're shot progressively darker and darker to match the plot scaleups. (Though even the end of the first movie gets surprisingly dark in plot material.)

I should perhaps note that I've never read the books, only watched the film series (and read HPMOR).