1971 Tony Awards

Started by besilarius, June 07, 2015, 03:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCB_r7iSoEY&app=desktop

With the Tonies tonight, a great show of what can be done from 1971.
"Welcome to the Theater!" - Betty Bacall
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

RooksBailey

I fear that what has happened with Hollywood has now happened with theater.  Everything is just corporate-think, politically correct, lowest common denominator stuff.   >:(  I can't remember the last time I saw an interesting production that wasn't based on a Disney movie or a fairy tale. 

EDIT: Happened to come across this on Drudge:

Tony Preview: Broadway Stars All Dressed Up, But Who Will Watch?

QuoteWhatever the Tony ratings, Broadway producers still consider the awards telecast to be a hugely valuable opportunity for exposure to a national audience of theater fans — the kind of publicity that can help attract audiences to national tours down the line. Cheeky Renaissance comedy “Something Rotten!” will get pride of place among the night’s musical nominees, landing the performance segment that comes first during the ceremony. The show’s cast will perform the production’s showstopper, “A Musical.”

“Something Rotten!” is one of the musicals up for the top new musical trophy, but many in the industry consider the real horserace in that category to be between the romantic, dance-centric “An American in Paris” and the intimate, emotional “Fun Home.” “American in Paris” has opted to show itself off with a medley of a few numbers (including “‘S Wonderful” and “I Got Rhythm”), whereas “Fun Home” will spotlight one of its standout songs, the solo “Ring of Keys,” performed by young actress Sydney Lucas.

Numbers from nominated shows “The Visit,” “The King and I,” “On the Town” and “On the 20th Century” (starring Chenoweth) will get slots during the ceremony, as will this season’s “Gigi,” “It Shoulda Been You” and “Finding Neverland,” plus “Jersey Boys,” in celebration of that show’s tenth anniversary.

Anybody see any of these productions?  I have to admit that I haven't heard of any of them (except The King and I - I didn't even know they put that back in production). 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway