40Cent @ the movies

Started by Centurion40, February 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Sweet ! I'm surprised there isn't some sort of revolution in Cape Breton as they appear to think they are only Highlander culture in the world. Oh...wait, do they get movies in Cape Breton  ;D

Centurion40

The Capers and Anti-go-nowhere/New Glasgow crowd already have a long-standing "We're THE highlanders, no WE'RE the highlanders" feud.

There is one movie theatre on Cape Breton Island, and it's a multi-plex!!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

We gotta nuke that Causeway - it's the only way to be sure !

Pak40

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 15, 2012, 09:23:24 AM
There are a certain group of guys that just seem to kill movies -

1) Nic Cage - he acts exactly the same in every movie
2) Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai - just murdered what could have been a great movie

Give me time and I'll think of some more  ::)

Tom Cruise gets a lot of flak but he's actually a good actor. I think the flak comes from the fact that he did some brain dead movies like Days of Thunder/Cocktail and also because he's miscast in roles like Last Samurai. He's brilliant in other roles like Tropic Thunder.

LongBlade

I dunno, Tom Cruise looks to me like a pretty boy who has been coached to do everything.

I have *never* been able to see him anything other than as Tom-Cruise-Dressed-in-a-Costume. Sorry.

Funny thing is, I went to school with Brad Pitt. You'd think I'd see him as a middle school or high school kid. I don't. I see a movie he's in and the suspension of disbelief kicks in and I forget I ever knew him.

With Cruise I just never get that. Ever.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 04, 2012, 02:00:03 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the icing on the cake, Tig (SAMCRO) played the coach of the Halifax Highlanders.  Sweet!

That's reason enough to see it!  Twice, even!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Took the GF to see John Carter on Saturday.  Not having read the story previously, I had no idea what to expect.  As a story, it was pretty simple, but as a movie, it played VERY well.  There was humor, romance and action.  And it was visually appealing, too.  The CGI was good and the settings were believeable.  No reason not to take your signifigant others out to see it.

40's rating system: 34 out of 40

Centurion40

Good new on John Carter!

Last night, the Mrs & I went to see Friends with Kids.  There is a reason that this movie is in limited release; it's not funny- despite the "Bridesmaids" supporting cast.  Critics dig it as it is full of angst and real-life grit.  But I go to movies in order to AVOID angst and real-life grit!  This movie was well-made, but I don't a royal rat's sphincter about that if I'm not entertained and I was not entertained.  I was "pained"!

15 out of 40
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on March 11, 2012, 09:11:20 PM
Took the GF to see John Carter on Saturday.  Not having read the story previously, I had no idea what to expect.  As a story, it was pretty simple, but as a movie, it played VERY well.  There was humor, romance and action.  And it was visually appealing, too.  The CGI was good and the settings were believeable.  No reason not to take your signifigant others out to see it.

40's rating system: 34 out of 40

Cool. Glad to hear it.

LongBlade

This weekend we rented a Redbox of three movies. The first was Footloose, which I avoided upon pain of pain.

The second was Shark Night. My 11 year old had been begging to see it for weeks. It was formulaic and dumb. I had to fast forward through a few scenes that threatened to be too grown up for the kids. At the end we both agreed it wasn't worth even a dollar to rent. 2 out of 40, though if I were to rate it for the hard bodies in bikinis, it would probably go up by 10.

The third show was the gem. It was the 25th anniversary of Phantom of the Opera on stage in London, and it was brilliant. This shouldn't be confused with the Phantom movie which was released a few years ago, and was decent. the 25th anniversary was filmed on stage. If you've never seen a theatrical performance of it, you're missing out. But you can at least rent this and get an excellent experience. 40 out of 40.

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 15, 2012, 10:23:34 AM
I liked the most recent instalment of Mission Impossible.  Cruise didn't kill it.  Why he even made Tropic Thunder a better movie.

absolutely agree with you 40Cent
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Arctic Blast

Finally got around to seeing 50/50 a few nights ago. I quite liked it...the awkwardness between characters was often tangible, and it made sense considering the circumstances. 35/40.

bob48

On Thursday, 22nd, me and the missus will celebrate our 37th wedding wozzname by going to see John Carter of Mars in glorious 3D  :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on March 14, 2012, 02:05:38 PM
On Thursday, 22nd, me and the missus will celebrate our 37th wedding wozzname by going to see John Carter of Mars in glorious 3D  :)

Well, that's a win!

MetalDog

Quote from: bob48 on March 14, 2012, 02:05:38 PM

It's very date worthy!  And happy anniversary!!