Dam Busters redux (in honour of Les Munro)

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 05, 2015, 12:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Anyone up for another forum based game of Enemy Coast Ahead?

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sounds good. 

In the previous session, Banzai Cat said he'd be interested in playing if we ever did another session so I've sent him a PM and I'll hold a slot for him if he wants in.

Any preference for scenarios?

The choices are:

1)  Flight of the Diversionary Force.    This has 5 Lancs going after the Sorpe dam.  They were the first of the raiders to take off as they had the longest flight path.  They had very bad luck with only one of the 5 making it to the target.  Les Munro was a member of this group.  He was hit by flak early on and forced to turn back as the shells had knocked out all communications systems on his plane.

2)  Flight of the Main Force.  This is the one we played last time and is the one the movie focused on.  9 Lancs in 3 groups of 3.

3)  Flight of the Reserve Force.  5 Lancs total.  This flight took off two hours after the main force and was to attack any dams that were missed.  Communications problems and alerted German defenders caused chaos and the flight was quickly broken up.  Two were lost, two bombed tertiary targets, and one returned home after failing to spot any dams

4)  The Dambuster Raid.  Combines the three previous scenarios into one big scenario.

5)  Campaign.  This adds in all the crew training, equipment procurement, security, intelligence, recon, Barnes-Wallis research, weather and so on into the game.  I think it will likely be a bit too protracted for a forum based game but we can do it if everyone would like to try.

bob48

I'm more than happy to go with any of 'em. Thanks for taking the time to do this, SDR  O0

'Clip those corners'

undercovergeek

if were honouring Les, lets do his mission, i say

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, Flight of the Diversionary Force it is then.

Scampton, England.  2100 hours, 16 May 1943.

Primary Objective:  TARGET Z (Sorpe Dam).  This target is considered next in importance after TARGET X (the Möhne). The Sorpe dam lies 6 miles south of the Moehne dam on the Sorpe river which is also a tributary of the Ruhr.  It is used in conjunction with the Möhne reservoir and controls 70% of the water catchment area of the Ruhr basin.

Unlike the gravity fed Eder and Möhne dams, the Sorpe consists of a 10m concrete core surrounded by thick, sloped earthen walls on either side.  The dam is 600 m long and has a maximum height of 58m.  Special weapon (UPKEEP) cannot be employed as at TARGETS X and Y due to the sloped walls present at TARGET Z.  However, Barnes Wallis is convinced that a breach should be possible provided enough ordinance is applied to the target.

The specials (UPKEEP)  are not to be spun for the attack on TARGET Z.  Aircraft are to attack this target from N.W. to S.E. parallel to the length of the dam and are to aim to hit the water just short of the centre point of the dam about 15 to 20 feet out from the edge of the water.  Attacks are to be made from the lowest practicable height at a speed of 180 m.p.h. I.A.S.

This scenario consists of five Lancasters. 

Wave 1: (4 Lancasters)

Flight leader: 
AJ-E "Easy".  Pilot: Flt Lt. R. Barlow (RAAF).    Seasoned crew.              Elite crewman:   Plt Off. A. Gillespe. (Bomb Aimer)

AJ-H "Harry".  Pilot: Plt Off. G. Rice.  Green crew.

AJ-K "King".  Pilot: Plt Off. V.W. Byers (RCAF).  Seasoned crew.

AJ-W "Willie". Pilot:  Flt Lt. L. Munro (RNZAF).  Seasoned crew.

Independent aircraft (1 Lancaster)

AJ-T "Tommy".  Pilot:  Flt Lt. J.C. McCarthy (RCAF - American volunteer).  Seasoned crew.  Elite crewman:  McCarthy (pilot) or Johnson (bomb-aimer)

(AJ-T Tommy begins with a Compass card malfunction already attached.  McCarthy and his crew were supposed to be a part of the 1st wave but his aircraft, AJ-Q had a coolant leak and he was forced to switch to AJ-T which delayed his take off and he became a straggler, carrying out his mission independently from the rest of 1st wave.  The large metal casing surrounding the Upkeep bomb threw of the aircraft's compass readings and the ground crews would have to re-calibrate the compass.  The ground crews hadn't had a chance to re-calibrate AJ-T's compass before it took off.)

You guys can pick crews or roll for it as you like.  Since Bob hasn't played before, I recommend that we let him take first choice.  I haven't heard back from BC yet so we'll give him the leftovers should he choose to join in.  If not, the 5th plane can be the spare for whoever loses their aircraft.  Sound good?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Banzai Cat said he won't be able to make it so I'd say each player take one plane and whoever takes Rice can also control McCarthy.

Silent Disapproval Robot

No preferences anyone?

OK, we'll roll for it.

First up, flight leader AJ-E.  1 = Bart, 2 = bob, 3= stagger, 4 = UCG

[blockquote]Rolled 1d4 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]

Silent Disapproval Robot

Stagger will be flight lead.

next will be AJ-K.  (1-2 = bart, 3-4 = bob, 5-6 = UCG)

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

Silent Disapproval Robot

AJ-W  1-2 = bart,  3-4 = bob.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d4 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]