1st World Board Gaming Problems...

Started by Bison, July 13, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on July 16, 2015, 05:18:54 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 15, 2015, 11:07:22 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. Those tables can be designed to stand as high as four feet. When you plunk down the down payment they have a valet contact you several times to go over specifications, to vet your purchase to make sure you're not buying the most expensive table, but the correct one for your needs. Certainly the small requirement of being able to slide a chair underneath wouldn't be a problem. While they charge a hefty price for customization, IIRC table height up to four feet is gratis.

Lastly, there are a number of tables there for far less than $10k - depending on size, customization, et al.

You don't see a problem sliding a chair in under this table?  I think that I'd specify that those bottom rails not be included....

Well, first those drawers pull out over your lap.

Second, I guarantee that if you discuss your OCD need to have a chair pushed under the table when not in use, they will work with you to meet that need. Truly, read through their entire website. They are quite impressive. Even better - go see them in person at one of the cons and chat with them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I'm going to need a 10K table to have some sort drink dispensing capability.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on July 17, 2015, 12:06:34 PM
I'm going to need a 10K table to have some sort of drink dispensing BJ capability.

Bison

New 1st World Gaming Problem....

I have the go ahead with a largish gaming purchase.  I'm really digging Fantasy Flight Games.  I know.  I know.  They are the devil to some, but I love Star Wars and they make the best Star Wars games from my research.

So I can build up two decent Rebel and Imperial Fleets for Star Wars X-wing or I can go with Imperial Assault and maybe a ship or two or a couple of expansions for Imperial Assault.  I'm sure there are other games to consider out there but I love the X-wing-game play, and Imperial Tactics looks fantastic, not to mention FFG components are top notch.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd go all-in with X-Wing.  If you buy something like the Falcon or Slave I, you'll discover than you need a fair number of smaller craft in order to be able to play the new scenarios that come with the larger ships.  The Falcon vs. the two TIE fighters than come with the base game just isn't a fair fight.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on July 15, 2015, 07:09:24 AM
In all seriousness, though, I was enjoying GJK's table thread.  I'm thinking of something more like that, or perhaps just going totally ghetto.  When I lived in Monterey I built a desk for my garage out of a plain, one-piece door and four 2x4's nailed into it for legs.  As crappy as that sounds, it was incredibly functional and had plenty of desk space.  Total price was like $100 or something...maybe more like $70.

In place of the 2x4s you could also use a pair of filing cabinets. Then you can store stuff in them.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

Yeah, I saw some pictures in Google of people that have done that.  Brilliant idea and something that wouldn't have occurred to me.  The next time I head out to Home Depot I'm going to look at my options.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

panzerde

I picked up one of those four foot banquet tables from Lowe's like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_183929-88126-80294_1z0ynwd__?productId=50064077&pl=1 and then got a sheet of Plexiglas cut to fit. The table was around $40 and I think the Plexiglas was about $50.

Works pretty well and fits anything that's not a monster game.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GJK

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2015, 01:07:20 PM
I'd go all-in with X-Wing.  If you buy something like the Falcon or Slave I, you'll discover than you need a fair number of smaller craft in order to be able to play the new scenarios that come with the larger ships.  The Falcon vs. the two TIE fighters than come with the base game just isn't a fair fight.

Here's a nice little X-Wing collection that's on the market.  Looks like a little "starter" set.  ;)  http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee7011b/76482
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on July 18, 2015, 09:56:56 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2015, 01:07:20 PM

Here's a nice little X-Wing collection that's on the market.  Looks like a little "starter" set.  ;)  http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee7011b/76482

Haha.  No.  :) You know I was browsing the gaming wares at a couple of online sites and, although I knew it before, it really hit me just how much board gaming has followed the PC in "DLC" content.  X-Wing is perfect example with the variety of ships available.  To make matters worse, people suck.  I was reading the FFG forums trying to learn a little more about a couple of their games and everything has a "meta" game.  So you need to buy multiple core sets, and many if not all of the  3 -8 dozen mini-expansions if you follow the logic of the competitive scene players.   So that gets me to thinking, one of the LFGS has an X-wing group that plays on Saturday morning.  Perhaps I play with that group and play less FNM.  But you read the forums and it makes someone new to the game honestly believe you have to drop $$$$ just to have a chance to field a decent formation even at your FLGS.  I don't know if that is true, but gaming is an expensive hobby if you think your going to be all in on more than one game.  I learned that I might just end up going with SW Imperial Assault, or either the Marvel or DC card game and call it a day.  I'm a little disappointed by my forum readings.  And no ASL is not any better.  /rant off/

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've found that with Armada.  There are a lot of players here in Vancouver but 90+% of them are fully into competitive play and spend hours building fleets designed solely to take advantage of any and every perceived flaw in the ruleset.  It makes it a pain to play at times.

Fortunately I've found a good group of X-Wing players who  just want to have fun and are more than happy to ignore the base rules and just create custom scenarios for fun.  I had a pretty good game today where we decided to have a simple, straight up dogfight on an open 3x3 map.  I played the Empire and had 2 TIE fighters with crappy Academy pilots, 1 TIE fighter piloted by the Backstabber pilot, 1 TIE Interceptor with a Scimitar sqn pilot with the swarm ability card, and 1 TIE advanced with Darth Vader as the pilot.   

The rebels had 3 X-Wings, two with rookie pilots and the 3rd flown by Wedge (with marksmanship ability card).  He also had an A-Wing with a Green Sqn pilot with marksmanship.

I don't think you need a full kit with all the expansions.  I have pretty much everything I want for the game now and don't plan on buying any of the non-movie ships.  I think I might double up on some Y-Wings, TIE bombers, and Interceptors though.

Have a look over at BoardGameGeek under the X-Wing section.  There are some cool user made additions to the game there.  I'm looking forward to trying out the Death Star trench run scenario.

It was a close fight but I ended up losing.  I'd lost all my ships except Vader by the final turn and Vader had lost his shields.  The Rebels had Wedge and a rookie X-wing pilot left.  Both had no shields and the rookie was down to 1 hull point.  Wedge and Vader did a head-on pass (both had 9 pilot ability so the firing was simultaneous).   I knocked Wedge's ship down to 1 hull point and wounded Wedge so that his skill dropped to zero for the rest of the battle.  Wedge ended up missing and I figured I was in the clear.  Then the damned rookie pilot rolled 4 hits out of 4 possible and I rolled 0 for three for my evade and suddenly Darth was a glowy angel.

Bison

I think I found a solution.  So there I was at Hobby Lobby wandering the aisles and I walk into the section with corkboards and there it was a 36" X 36" cork board.  It has a nice wooden frame inset just deep enough to accommodate a piece of plexiglass and hold it in place.  Just on the other side of the store is the felt.  Black, blue, green, and brown.  Cheap for a few 36" X 36" pieces.  I have the tacks at home to secure it.  Life is coming up Bison!

I forgot my credit card at home and had no cash.....:(

LongBlade

The good news is that the cork board, plexiglass, and felt will be there for another visit.

Glad you've found a solution.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison