Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2014, 11:15:00 AM
HMS M1, a WWI-era British submarine armed with a 12in gun

truly a WTF were they thinking
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

From Wikipedia:

QuoteM1 was fitted with a 12-inch (305mm) gun which was intended for use against surface ships in preference to torpedoes, the argument being that, "No case is known of a ship-of-war being torpedoed when under way at a range outside of 1000 yards".
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

those S-300 cells look pretty unprotected.  where did you find that?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 07, 2014, 01:47:50 PM
those S-300 cells look pretty unprotected.  where did you find that?

The pic came from Reddit, but it looks like it's circulated around the web for a while.

I also came across this old discussion thread that may or may not be related to that pic. It's interesting at any rate:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?2882-S-300FM-Kirov-Hull-4-Pyotr-Veliky
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Quote from: Windigo on April 07, 2014, 12:26:29 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2014, 11:15:00 AM
HMS M1, a WWI-era British submarine armed with a 12in gun

truly a WTF were they thinking

They were thinking the same thing as the French, apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Surcouf
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

of course the French went for 2 barrels.   ::)
and typically, the German pic is NSFW.  ???
and dont even get me started on the Japanese carrier sub...

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

I've seen pics of Surcouf before. The Brit sub was new to me.

GDS_Starfury

so you like to barrels?

mirth

I & II Squadrons of the High Seas Fleet in Kiel:

Redwolf

I would really like to buy a book or otherwise get a lot more solid information on modern Amphibious warfare ships. And I mean all the details like layout and dimensions and what exactly they can carry.

What I have now is assembled bits and piece, e.g. the information sheet for the F35 planning so that the plane fits there ships.

Any recommendation? I suppose there are none that you can actually visit, right?

GDS_Starfury

you might want to check the Naval Institute Press for books.

mirth

USS Des Moines, Venice 1958

bayonetbrant

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Thatsa one-a bigga Wata Taxi!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth