Dungeons and doughnuts

Started by Emeraldlis, December 18, 2016, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

I went to a cool gaming store near me called "dungeons and doughnuts " .......love the name !!

Me and my daughter rented out a board game called Jamaica, never played it before or heard of it , but we both had a ton of fun chasing each other's pirate ships and trying to blast each other off the high seas  ;D you pay €5 , for that you get any board game you pick to play for as long as you like , a doughnut and a drink :)  The guy in the store was super helpful , the atmosphere was really good with other gamers having fun enjoying their board games , and all in all it was a great experience !!

I'm definately going back ...next time , Star Wars imperial assault shall be played ...to.....the....death  :D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

My son got Jamaica for a Christmas present about 4-5 years ago.  It's gotten a lot of use in our house :)

We first played it in 08-09 or so back when Borders still existed and we used to hold our regular board game night there.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Yeah guys it's a lot of fun  <:-)   And inbetween swigging coffee , eating doughnuts , and bantering with each other , it only took about an hour or so to play . So I think if you played this over Christmas with your family/friends , it's short enough to keep everyone's attention , but long enough to get your gaming fix if your other half wants you in the kitchen slicing turkey or scrubbing dishes !! ( or secretly throwing sprouts out the window  O:-) )

I don't know if you found this Brant , and it's my only small complaint about the game . The rules were messy and not easy to understand at first . Personally , I want a rule page that I can just glance at , get the gist of the game quickly , and then just dive straight into playing :)  first my daughter looked at the rules ....scratched her head  #:-) , got most of it set up , got stuck , passed it to me ....I scratched my head #:-) , but couldn't work out how to start the game . Maybe it's just me be being thick  L:-), lol , but just as I was about to throw my hands up in exasperation ,and stamp my wooden leg , and throw a bottle of rum across the room .....which would have been a waste , haha , the guy in the store came over and asked if we wanted help . *CUE *the Angel choir........ O:-)  O:-) O:-)

He talked us through all the rules , showed us how everything worked and moved around the board , basically went through a quick mock game with us . Then he just left us to it :)  He couldn't have been more helpful . I liked that he didn't make us feel like a pair of idiots for not knowing what to do straight away , because that would have put me off going back again for sure !!

But apart from that , as soon as we got into the game ....wow ...it was a ton of fun  :bd: I'm not surprised you've all played it a lot as a family ! I liked the option to be a woman pirate , which of course we chose , can't just let all the guys go out pillaging and ...uhm.....finding hidden treasure  now , can we ?!?!?!?!?  :dreamer:  :arr:

So I'm glad you've got that game , it's a great one to have on hand for quick easy fun and general gaming frolics .As long as you know the rules , or have a smartie pants on hand to explain them for you !  :notworthy:

What was borders ? Was it a game store ? And more importantly .....what does bayonet junior get this year , hahahahaha !!!

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

bayonetbrant

The first time we played, someone explained the rules to us.  After that, we just used them as a reference as needed.

Borders was one of the 2 biggest bookstore chains in the US, and it went out of business in 2011.

This year he's getting some games for his Xbox.  It's Bayonette that's getting the tabletop games (there's a new Jr edition Ticket to Ride for her)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Unfortunately, Barnes and Noble is the only brick-and-mortar large-scale book seller in the U.S. right now that I know of. A real shame. In the past I've worked for Waldenbooks and Book Stop (both long gone themselves) and remember B. Dalton Booksellers well (another one that's bit the dust). Competition is always nice.

On the other hand, Barnes and Noble DOES have a rather healthy boardgame selection, even if their prices are a little on the gougy side.

bayonetbrant

Books-a-Million is still hanging on in many towns that don't have B&N's, and a few places that do.  There's one in Columbia, SC, right down the street from a B&N (both on the block I used to work on) and both seem to be doing OK.  The only other BAM's I know off the top of my head are Myrtle Beach, and Wilson, NC.

I used to really like BAM.  They had good deals on a lot of 'light' books - the picture-heavy text-light coffee-table style books that were always good for drawing people into the material visually.

Bison

There are several BAMs out here.  We were actually at the our local one today.  They are nice enough and I ogled some Pathfinder books, but they don't carry much in the way of board games.  We used to have a Hastings but they went belly up nation wide in October.  I LOVE Half Priced Books.  Those places are veritable goldmines of books and games.

Nefaro

So... they also taught you how to play? 

Agreed, it's a good idea for a store service.   O0

Never played Jamaica, although I recall grokking it when I was looking for a pirate themed boardgame a few years ago.

I still need to get Merchants & Marauders to the game table, which is the one I eventually picked up for the theme.  Especially since I also picked up the expansion.   :nerd:

Perhaps the holidays will allow for more pirate marrrrrauding time for extra playarrrs to join.  :arr: 

BanzaiCat

That's good re: Books-A-Million. We have Half Price Books everywhere here, but I generally don't like them - the ones near my house, anyway, hardly ever have anything interesting.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Nefaro on December 18, 2016, 08:45:40 PM
So... they also taught you how to play? 

Agreed, it's a good idea for a store service.   O0

Never played Jamaica, although I recall grokking it when I was looking for a pirate themed boardgame a few years ago.

I still need to get Merchants & Marauders to the game table, which is the one I eventually picked up for the theme.  Especially since I also picked up the expansion.   :nerd:

Perhaps the holidays will allow for more pirate marrrrrauding time for extra playarrrs to join.  :arr: 

Yeah I thought the service was excellent , really top notch :)  they also had a great section for painting minis and remembered all the great advice you gave to me for painting and wondered what you'd make of it all ! I'm ashamed to say I still haven't painted any minis  :-\ I do intend to get around to it one day mate !!

I'll look out for merchant and marauders at the store , if it's there I'll try it after Star Wars imperial assault . I really like the pirate theme .....I blame that entirely on pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise , hrrrrrrr yo ho yo ho ........and recently I went through the POC ride in Disneyland and I think it stuck in my head , so when we spotted Jamaica, we grabbed it  :arr: :arr:

The game play is actually really good :) if your Intrested in knowing how it plays , let me know , and I'll write about here  O0

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 18, 2016, 06:24:56 PM
The first time we played, someone explained the rules to us.  After that, we just used them as a reference as needed.

Borders was one of the 2 biggest bookstore chains in the US, and it went out of business in 2011.

This year he's getting some games for his Xbox.  It's Bayonette that's getting the tabletop games (there's a new Jr edition Ticket to Ride for her)
[/quote]

Glad you had someone there to show you the way , lol , and , yeah we found ourselves referring back to rules as and when we needed to because there's a fair bit going on in the game play to get the hang of  :)

I've never heard of a bookstore allowing gaming nights to be held there , so that's a very intresting  and new concept to hear . I'm wracking my brains ( doesn't take too long  :D) to try to think have I ever heard of that before or seen it , and I don't think I have . All the book stores I've ever been to ,usually just carry books , and gaming stores are seperate . The game store I went to , just purely did gaming and gaming paraphernalia ....very cool  8)  do you have anything like this in the states though , a place to rent board games from ? Because quite honestly I thought it was a very good business , and the place was packed , not just people gaming , but a steady stream of customers coming in to buy games and stuff .

I hope your kids have a lot of fun with their Christmas prezzies , I'm sure they will !! And why does it not surprise me that you've got games on your list mate   ;D  I think I feel an unboxing coming on .......on the front page !! :DD

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Bison on December 18, 2016, 08:36:51 PM
There are several BAMs out here.  We were actually at the our local one today.  They are nice enough and I ogled some Pathfinder books, but they don't carry much in the way of board games.  We used to have a Hastings but they went belly up nation wide in October.  I LOVE Half Priced Books.  Those places are veritable goldmines of books and games.

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 19, 2016, 06:41:39 AM
That's good re: Books-A-Million. We have Half Price Books everywhere here, but I generally don't like them - the ones near my house, anyway, hardly ever have anything interesting.

I don't think I can even remember the last time I held a "real ,hold it in my hands and turn the page " book !! The only time I seem to end up in a bookstore is to go to costa coffee in town , which is inside the bookstore  ;D. Probably to pull people in to look at books because we're all so used to just downloading stuff on to kindle and reading them that way . But I do love all those old bookstores that I spotted on a trip to London once . All very Dickensian, and intriguing!! I love old books , I just finished reading "the epic of Gilgamesh " recently on my kindle , and it was super intresting I found . It's the first recorded story known to man , about three thousand years old .......I guess we've always loved a good story as humans,  for time immemorial . And living in Ireland ...welllll , they're just born naturally good story tellers , it's in the blood , most Irish people will weave you a good yarn if you get the chance to stop and chat  :)

Emeraldlis

I just realised Brant , it's your daughter getting the games , not you !! The bayoNETTE bit didn't register straight away  :idiot2:.......oh geez , my brain isn't functioning today !!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 19, 2016, 01:49:51 PM
I've never heard of a bookstore allowing gaming nights to be held there , so that's a very intresting  and new concept to hear . I'm wracking my brains ( doesn't take too long  :D) to try to think have I ever heard of that before or seen it , and I don't think I have . All the book stores I've ever been to ,usually just carry books , and gaming stores are seperate . The game store I went to , just purely did gaming and gaming paraphernalia ....very cool  8)  do you have anything like this in the states though , a place to rent board games from ? Because quite honestly I thought it was a very good business , and the place was packed , not just people gaming , but a steady stream of customers coming in to buy games and stuff .

There are some board game cafes starting to pop up much more around the country, but my go-to location here is The Gamer's Armory, where I ran the game camp over the summer.  They have a few hundred games in their in-store library that you can check out and play for free in the store there.  They do sell some snacks / drinks, but most folks are playing games to try them out before they purchase.

Emeraldlis

Yeah I remember reading your posts about the summer camp at the time . I honestly thought that looked like a lot of fun and a cool thing to get involved in and run  8)  All that gaming though ....it's gotta make a person hungry , no ? I can guarentee the snacks come out in our house when the games get under way .....or a movie .....or when visitors show up ....or watching tv . Yeah , that's pretty much all the time  ;D ;D

I wish the store I went to was closer to my house , it's over an hour away for me  :-\ so I've pretty much been going at the weekend , Saturday's usually . But we make a day of it because it such a drag to get there and back , and Galway is actually a beautiful place to walk around at any time of the year  :smitten: