Why marines love Tootsie Rolls

Started by besilarius, November 02, 2019, 08:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://usmc-mccs.org/articles/how-tootsie-rolls-accidentally-saved-marines-during-war/

During the Korean War, the First Marine Division met the enemy at Chosin mountain reservoir in subfreezing temperatures.  Out of ammunition, Marines called in for 60mm mortar ammo; code name “Tootsie Rolls.”  The radio operator did not have the code sheets that would tell him what a “Tootsie Roll”  was, but knew the request was urgent; so he called in the order.  Soon, pallets of Tootsie Roll candies parachuted from the sky to the First Marine Division!  While they were not ammunition, this candy from the sky provided well needed nourishment for the troops.  They also learned they could use warmed Tootsie Rolls to plug bullet holes, sealing them as they refroze.

Radio code signs can be very odd.  During the breakout in Normandy, Operation Cobra, the code for calling a rocket strike by british Typhoon aircraft was Limejuice.
And during ther wehrmacht attack into the Ardennes, their call sign for gasoline was Otto.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.