Argentina's Falkland's War Museum

Started by MIGMaster, March 06, 2012, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17267714

Actually that subject line would probably piss them off - they consider them to be the Malvina's don't they - but then again, I got the story off the BBB so screw em !

Centurion40

I totally get that the Argentinians would be inclined to see the Falklands as their territory via the island's proximity to Argentina.  But it appears as if the British flag has flown over those islands far longer than an Argentinian flag.

The people of the Falklands speak English, not Spanish.  Ethnically the people are mostly descended from the British.  According to Wiki, most of small number of "South Americans" who actually live on the Falklands are actually Chilean immigrants!

The Argentinians need to move on and find something new to agonize over.
Any time is a good time for pie.

spelk

It's an excellent "chest-beater" concern for both sides, when their economies are failing and they need to distract their associated general public's attention with something else.

We fought for sovereignty in 1982, and I think we'd do it again if we have to. Although I'm not sure this time we're capable of mounting anything approaching a proper Task Force including Carriers and Airstrike capability. We'd have to rely on our subs.

MIGMaster

I suspects your subs and surface fleet would wipe the floor with any Argentine invasion/blockade attempt. Aging A-4's and Mirages aren't going to stand up to EF 2000's or modern missile systems.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 06, 2012, 10:47:32 AM
I suspects your subs and surface fleet would wipe the floor with any Argentine invasion/blockade attempt. Aging A-4's and Mirages aren't going to stand up to EF 2000's or modern missile systems.

It's an interesting question, isn't it? An outdated force capable of projection versus an insufficient but modern force.

I suspect if push came to shove the US would likely loan a CV, but we'd have to send an entire carrier group with all the fixings just to ensure it was safe, meaning effectively we'd be fighting the fight, too.

The simplest thing is for the UK to keep its carriers if they intend to hold on to any overseas possessions.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

spelk

Quote from: LongBlade on March 06, 2012, 10:59:39 AM
I suspect if push came to shove the US would likely loan a CV, but we'd have to send an entire carrier group with all the fixings just to ensure it was safe, meaning effectively we'd be fighting the fight, too.

I suspect they'd be very welcome, compared with the alternative of having to convince the French to share a CV with us, and agree to support us in the defence of the Falklands, bearing in mind their Exocet contracts with Argentina in the last wrangle.

Quote from: LongBlade on March 06, 2012, 10:59:39 AM
The simplest thing is for the UK to keep its carriers if they intend to hold on to any overseas possessions.

Could you mention this to our ad hoc Prime Minister? ;)

It seems the foolish man has left us without a surface fleet or any aircraft to strike with, short of fuelling up the RAF boys for the long distance trip from Ascension.

MIGMaster

If there were indications of potential hostilitiles it would pay for the UK to nail the surface fleet to the coast of the mainland with warnings of sub attacks. Everyone remembers the Belgrano and in the air, the EF2000's would be absolutely dominant. They wouldn't ba able to get to the Islands, let alone invade.

bob48

Not having carriers (have I mentioned that before?) is a bugger - but subs would pose a substantial threat, and I think that there is a lot more potent stuff based out there now.

lets hope that common sense prevails.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

It's highly questionable whether the Argentines could successfully invade again. They're forces are not what they were 30 years ago either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17157373
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Thanks for the link, mirth

Sounds like the British might have a harder time recapturing the islands if lost.  On the flip side, however, it'd be a lot harder for Argentina to take them in the first place. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

Quote from: Martok on March 06, 2012, 04:56:51 PM
Thanks for the link, mirth

Sounds like the British might have a harder time recapturing the islands if lost.  On the flip side, however, it'd be a lot harder for Argentina to take them in the first place. 

That sums it up pretty well, Martok. Before reading that article, I didn't realize that the British garrison was that substantial. It seems like that it would be tough for the Argentinians to overcome that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

spelk

Yeah thanks for that link, I normally follow as much news as I can find on the Falklands, but I must have missed that one. I didn't know we had aircraft stationed there full time.

It seems to suggest we'd be able to defend the area, but if they ever get in, we'd have a hell of a time getting it back. Then they proceed to give them ideas about diverting an Civilian Airliner full of Argentinian Special Forces to Mount Pleasant Airbase!  ::)

MIGMaster

If they flew Air Canada they'd never get there on time.   ;)

bob48

Nah, its a double bluff. They want to make sure that they DO pick up on the idea of sending thier best forces in on a civil airliner.

Think about it. A couple of hundred guys with limited equipment on a plane which is not exactly gonna be hard to spot settting up for a landing. So, the defenders have time to set up a nice killing field.

Now, there are a pretty limited number of exits from an airliner, so these guys are not going to be able to deploy very fast, in which time they make nice jucy targets.

A runway tends to have lots of open space around it, so there is not going to be much cover for the ones that do make it out of the aircraft unscathed.

Result - the 'enemies' best troops are knocked out of the picture; sounds good to me!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!