Thank the maker! 'Star Wars Squadrons' leaked

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Game will not run on my current (Windows 8.1) system...Windows 10 only. I can't even pre-load it. Gears Tactics was also like that. Oh well.

I would be in huff of nerdgasming rage right now if I wasn't upgrading in a couple of months.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Ok I got the game and skipped the videos for now and went straight into the first single player tutorial slash story mission. It was fun but the voice acting seems very childish and obviously because you are in the tutorial things are way too easy. Xwings were goong down like they had no shields at all. A few shots was all it took. I hope it gets better than that. The tutorial showed power managment as being an all or nothing sort of thing unlike the original xwing and tie fighter games. Also there you press Q to repair your starfighter while in space.... I was running out the door for work and hoping that this fix business did not include major drydock sort of fixes!
Apart from thr above it seems fairly immersive and fun.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Liking it so far.  Sick as a dog but I still pushed through and tried the prologue. 

Takes a bit of getting used to after Elite, I'm super used to its space flight controls, but the old Lucasarts feel is there.

12 more hours of seminar tomorrow before I can try multiplayer.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Darn work day will get in my way of playing right now, can't wait to try it tonight.....

Destraex

Ok so in the tutorial I map my power to engines and then the game asks me to press boost... I am like, but I already boosted my engines. But no. Not only can you repair mid flight but you can also boost your engines further than the power management allows. Also I have not been given control over my hyperspace or any pre-flight briefings yet. Add to that that re-supply is literally having a ship drop an icon in space you fly through to get more missiles. In Xwing it was a special role within a mission where it took some minutes to transfer missiles after contacting the correct freighter.
HOTAS support is shocking. Some of my Warthog buttons are not even registering. For instance two axis of one hat work and the other axis do not. Hoping this comes soon.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 01, 2020, 09:16:31 PM
^Are you playing in VR?

Negative ghostryder. However I could try trackIR on for size. But I don't think their is really a point with radar telling you where your enemy is. I guess it would just be for immersion. I mean a tie fighter would not give you much up down or to the side views, an Xwing might. An A-Wing even more so.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on October 02, 2020, 04:49:41 AM
^Are you playing in VR?

Negative ghostryder. However I could try trackIR on for size. But I don't think their is really a point with radar telling you where your enemy is. I guess it would just be for immersion. I mean a tie fighter would not give you much up down or to the side views, an Xwing might. An A-Wing even more so.

I had thought TrackIR was not supported, is that not true?  Is it actually usable?

Jarhead0331

My HOTOS is working fine. The problem I have with my controllers is that the game only detects three separate devices and I have like 7 or 8 plugged in, so it picks up my stick, throttle and saitek throttle quadrant. It's not seeing my rudder pedals, so I'm going to have to unplug a few things until the pedals pop in.

Another issue is that in VR, in the menus, I can't see the mouse cursor. So, selecting options is big pain in the butt. I'm thinking the game doesn't like WMR and my reverb, so I may try to install on my other rig that is linked to my rift s, and see if that makes any difference.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2020, 05:10:43 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 02, 2020, 04:49:41 AM
^Are you playing in VR?

No idea. But mouse look seems to be a thing, so in theory it should work.
I had thought TrackIR was not supported, is that not true?  Is it actually usable?

Destraex

ok just found another thing I do not like. Like first person shooters, you can only fly so far in the wrong direction before the game gives you a countdown to blowing you up because you are outside the level. I remember in Xwing ending dogfights or running ridiculous distances from the enemy with no consequences.

LoganismyHERO

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 01, 2020, 12:45:31 PM
Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 01, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
Looking forward to all the reviews here. I'm hesitant to jump in as it sounds like there isn't a ton of content and I'm not much for multi-player (especially people I don't know)

Single player campaign should last around 8 hours.

Yea, that's a hard pass for me. Thanks

Destraex

It does annoy me a little that missile lock does not stay locked after each missile fire (they basically have a cool down to lock the next missile) and that ties have missiles though. I wonder if this is now considered cannon for post ROTJ tie fighters. Because I guess the Empire was getting some pretty nice kit by then.
Missiles are pretty easy to lock compared to the original as well.

I have to admit though, as I learn more it's not as bad as it sounds.

* Apparently their are briefings. I just have not got their yet.
* Repair may only be for small internal systems?
* The instra resupply I can deal with
* Control over s-foils I am struggling to remember whether it gave more speed in the original xwing or was just for hyperspace preparation

SirAndrewD

I enjoyed just getting into the cockpit and practicing. 

I'll get some better impressions tonight.   One thing I'm glad to find is my rudder pedals work.  I prefer the controls a lot more when I don't use the joystick yaw.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 02, 2020, 08:25:04 PM
I enjoyed just getting into the cockpit and practicing. 

I'll get some better impressions tonight.   One thing I'm glad to find is my rudder pedals work.  I prefer the controls a lot more when I don't use the joystick yaw.

You mean, the joystick roll. Me too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog