Thank the maker! 'Star Wars Squadrons' leaked

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

There are briefings after all. Very basic briefings so far and the squadron is in cut scenes trying to be fun and hip. But does not pull it off. The squadron characters remind me of a mothers club that joined up as x-wing pilots and somehow passed the training. They all remind me of that one pilot in the movie rogue one who was added from the original star wars reels of pilots not used in the originals. She was the grandma type. But she seemed more hard core than this lot. Who seem like they are off to play pokemon or bridge between battles while making sure everybody gets a medal. Just not what I pictured or played in the original movies or games. Where the pilots were a bunch of young but seemingly technically minded and trained, composed pilots that were perhaps already veterans of battles already. People who were humble and reserved, the type that gets the job done in real life. Not the Glee style characters that seem to be in this game that need a lot of emotional support. Arrrrgh. It's just what star wars has become I guess.

It kind of reminds me of the star wars resistance TV show in terms of juvenile vibe. Except the PC is heavier. My whole squadron and the mechanics are all female except one evil criminal alien swindler type.

I am still enjoying it though as their is no star citizen SQ42 campaign yet.

Really not a fan of the 4 ship squadron where each ship really represents a separate squadron with a different role. It's strange in terms of force composition but I guess it could work in a scifi setting. However star wars squadrons have always operated as homogenous types just like ww2 squadrons. It just makes sense that way. Each one of these ships is really a hero ship completing their role on their own.

Hi Mum; the faces you see are my entire squadron

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

Blegh.  Is it too late to get a Steam refund for a preorder if I haven't played it?   :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

I don't know if they refund pre-orders. But for normal purchases I think you can play for two hours and still refund?

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2020, 07:31:50 PM
Game will not run on my current (Windows 8.1) system...Windows 10 only. I can't even pre-load it. Gears Tactics was also like that. Oh well.

I would be in huff of nerdgasming rage right now if I wasn't upgrading in a couple of months.
Gus a mate of mine got it working on windows 7 with this info. Could this help you?
https://steamah.com/star-wars-squadrons-how-to-play-on-windows-7/

Destraex

Just looking for a way to send most shield power to the front and leave some at the back. Does not seem to be a way to do it?

Just that the original xwing had two bars for shields and you could manage the power exactly between shields\weapons\engines. Bar by bar with a fair few increments. You could also have shields set with two bars each side. You could leave one bar of shields at the back and put two at front. Not only that but the all those bars went from green to yellow to red depending on the power they had allocated to them or how badly they were beaten down. They would even fade into shades of colour depending on how beaten they were (bright green, medium green, faded green), you would see them shrinking too. I wanted that kind of customisation rather than some unlockable trinkit addons.

EDIT: Turns out their is an advanced mode for shields to switch on. Which I will have to try after I get back home.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I can't get the game to detect my right twist Z-axis input for rebinding.  The game detects the inputs just fine in-game for the default binding (roll right) but I'd like to re-map it to yaw right.  Very frustrating.  It detects the left twist input for both binding and in-game but for some reason I can't get the thing to detect the right twist for rebinds.

Gusington

Thanks Des, I will try the above when I have some time. Right now my client can't even download it. Not that big a deal as upgrading is imminent. I just have to wait 6 weeks.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

If you're into this game for the SP, don't bother.  It's really more or less an extended tutorial for the flight model and a way you can learn the flight mechanics and get used to power management and the new subsystems. 

The meat here is the MP and I took my first dip in it last night and loved it.   Playing against other humans is much stronger and more satisfying.  My first foray I hit a dogfight mid stream and went 5/0 and found myself quoting Vader half the time while my wife laughed hysterically. 

"I have you now"

"The Force is strong with this one"

"All too easy"

Yeah, this isn't X-Wing, TIE Fighter or X-Wing Alliance, this is X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.   The SP is a nice addition but by no means the meat of the game.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 03, 2020, 01:41:39 PM
:'(

A couple of the later Rebel SP missions were better.  It's still not a lot more than a bot mode compared to the MP, but it's not too awful.  I love flying the A-Wing.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Now that I'm comfortable with my control config and I have VR running the way I want it, I'm rather enjoying it. I like the SP missions in the campaign and the briefing and hangar sequences are cool. I can see how the game would be only average in 2D mode, but living the dream of an X-Wing fighter pilot in VR is just plain cool. VR raises the marks of this game dramatically and if you're not playing that way, you're definitely missing out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

I'm gonna need that Valve Index to go ahead and come off backorder.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2020, 03:26:20 PM
Now that I'm comfortable with my control config and I have VR running the way I want it, I'm rather enjoying it. I like the SP missions in the campaign and the briefing and hangar sequences are cool. I can see how the game would be only average in 2D mode, but living the dream of an X-Wing fighter pilot in VR is just plain cool. VR raises the marks of this game dramatically and if you're not playing that way, you're definitely missing out.

Yeah I bet. You're mainly referring to situational awareness right? Or are you just talking about inmersion?
I did notice in 2d that it looks good but peoples bodies look a little like flat cardboard cutouts that need inflating to look 3d.