Thank the maker! 'Star Wars Squadrons' leaked

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 04, 2020, 06:27:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2020, 03:26:20 PM
Now that I'm comfortable with my control config and I have VR running the way I want it, I'm rather enjoying it. I like the SP missions in the campaign and the briefing and hangar sequences are cool. I can see how the game would be only average in 2D mode, but living the dream of an X-Wing fighter pilot in VR is just plain cool. VR raises the marks of this game dramatically and if you're not playing that way, you're definitely missing out.

Yeah I bet. You're mainly referring to situational awareness right? Or are you just talking about inmersion?
I did notice in 2d that it looks good but peoples bodies look a little like flat cardboard cutouts that need inflating to look 3d.

I'm talking about everything. Immersion, situational awareness and just the feeling of being inside an X-Wing or Tie cockpit. People who want TrackIR need look no further than VR. Its the ultimate TrackIR. You keep your eye on your target by actually following it with your head around the canopy of your pit. Just awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

You already sold me on VR JH.  I just made the decision to pull the trigger on the Index over the Quest 2. 

I'm hearing waits of months right now. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 04, 2020, 07:42:16 PM
You already sold me on VR JH.  I just made the decision to pull the trigger on the Index over the Quest 2. 

I'm hearing waits of months right now.

Yes. Sadly, the Index is frequently back-ordered. I hear 8 weeks or more is typical. One thing is certain though. When you get it, your gaming will never be the same, and you will rarely, if ever, go back to traditional 2D when it comes to simming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

yet the core news and reviews of this game make me sad.   :'(
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

I desperately need a new game to play so I can be released from the claws of WoT.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

My pc is lucky it can handle squadrons at all, so there will be no vr unfortunately. I am still on the fence about vr. Because I just don't want to be cut off from the rest of the family whilst I game. Also I don't play enough simulations that need it. Dcs and squadrons would be it and I dont see squadrons lasting too long for me.

I just played a mission where enemy fighters spawned from nothingness. Whenever the mission wanted to keep me fighting it would simply spawn another wave in front of my face. In the old xwing you at least had space to breath. You knew the enemy was coming and where from because they did not appear right in front of you! Had to use the repair button at least 5 times in that battle, but honestly instead of repair I would just prefer a good old fight with proper squadron numbers and a dose of common military sense.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Silent Disapproval Robot

I hope they implement TrackIR support.  For some reason, I thought it was already in there:

Pete Dero

https://uploadvr.com/ea-star-wars-squadrons-dlc-oculus-quest-port/

Star Wars: Squadrons Post-Launch Support

During an interview last week, we also spoke about future plans for the game and whether it could ever come to the Oculus Quest.

One major point in favor of Star Wars: Squadrons in the hearts of gamers is that EA has promised to never have any microtransactions at all, which is great to hear after the loot box fiasco in Battlefront 2. But what does that mean for the game's future support post-launch with new game modes, DLC, and so on?

Well, as it stands, there are no plans for any of that stuff:

"Never say never, so to speak, but as far as our philosophy goes we're not trying to treat the game as a live service," says Ian Frazier, Creative Director on Star Wars: Squadrons. "We don't want to say, 'It's almost done!' and then dribble out more of it over time, which to be honest is how most games work these days. So we've tried to treat it in kind of an old-school approach saying, 'You've paid the $40, this is the game and it's entirely self-contained. We're not planning to add more content, this is the game, and we hope you understand the value proposition.'"

Part of me hopes this mindset changes, or perhaps EA opens their wallet a little bit more to fund new content. I'd love to see more ships become available, more game modes, or more maps. Something near a planet's surface would be a really cool change of pace, but that seems unlikely:

"From pretty early on we wanted to be a space combat game, emphasis on space," says Frazier. "So even though we do go into the outer atmosphere of Yavin Prime, we never go anywhere truly terrestrial because we wanted to separate the game in that flavor from something like Battlefront, which we already have. "

Finally, I wanted to ask and get a concrete answers from Frazier directly, even though I already knew what he was going to say. Is there any chance of a Quest port?

"No plans at this time," says Frazier. "Obviously if you have the Oculus Quest and Link with a PC that has sufficient requirements you can run a Quest off of your PC, but as a standalone thing, no plans at this time."

glen55

Reviews say the single-player campaign is brief and EA now says they have no plans to add to it:

https://www.pcgamer.com/ea-has-no-plans-to-add-more-to-star-wars-squadrons/

I'm not interested in multiplayer and I'm not ready to shell out $40 for a short campaign. It sounds like the little bit you get is pretty sweet, but I'll wait for a significant price drop.

Does anybody who is playing think I've gotten any of this wrong? (Other than the "not interested in multiplayer" part, as that's pretty non-negotiable.)
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

SirAndrewD

I think there's more value to be had at a lower price point. 

If you're not a total Star Wars flight fanatic waiting is justified on this one if they're not going to add to it.

VERY fun game for what it is, it's just content light.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Quote from: glen55 on October 08, 2020, 12:53:39 PM
Reviews say the single-player campaign is brief and EA now says they have no plans to add to it:

https://www.pcgamer.com/ea-has-no-plans-to-add-more-to-star-wars-squadrons/

I'm not interested in multiplayer and I'm not ready to shell out $40 for a short campaign. It sounds like the little bit you get is pretty sweet, but I'll wait for a significant price drop.

Does anybody who is playing think I've gotten any of this wrong? (Other than the "not interested in multiplayer" part, as that's pretty non-negotiable.)
You have it right as far as I can see.
I forgot to mention another "light" sim feature of the campaign. If you die it seems you just restart from checkpoints. I don't know how many lives you get though. I think this is necessary though as I do not really feel like I am fighting squadrons of enemy but rather am a hero with a vastly superior advantage killing wave after wave of enemy. I'd compare the single player mode to something like left for dead. You have probably emptied an entire star destroyers compliment of fighters and destroyed them on your own by the end of each mission.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

On a positive note, this discussion piqued my interest in picking up X-Wing vs Tie Fighter from GOG.  https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_vs_tie_fighter

Oh, and I got my refund from Steam no problem!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Angry Joe absolutely loves it...I'm a little surprised.

For the record, I can't get passed how he refers to a HOTAS as a "hot ass"... :hide:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd