Main Menu

Hot For FRIDAY

Started by MetalDog, April 10, 2020, 06:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on April 10, 2020, 10:43:48 AM
I can't believe there is someone here who doesn't know what it means.

Pretty sure I know what it means - just never heard that particular euphemism before.

al_infierno

Whenever I'm on here and I read a term like "spark a bone," it reminds me that I'm likely multiple decades younger than much of the userbase :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on April 10, 2020, 11:38:05 AM
Whenever I'm on here and I read a term like "spark a bone," it reminds me that I'm likely multiple decades younger than much of the userbase :crazy2:

Definitely.  And technically, I have two odd memories of the early 1970s to contribute:
1) wasn't it supposed to be sort of heroic to have a bone to spark?
2) I learned to hate Minimalism and Progressive Jazz while pursuing Margaret, my favorite teacher ever (who knew such a hippie would have so much Progessive Jazz and so much bare empty floor space and such large speakers?  Who knew being so absolutely ultimately cool could be so tedious?  It was like "Norweigian Wood" with a vengeance all over again...I had to detox with the Beatles for weeks sweating in a half abandoned basement)

Thankfully, this weekend I will be playing Hell Let Loose and being extremely uncool.

Gusington

Hahaha 'large speakers'  :coolsmiley:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on April 10, 2020, 01:39:27 PM
Hahaha 'large speakers'  :coolsmiley:

Curiously enough the monster speakers in question were actual electronic devices with woofers taller than a (small?) man.  As for her accountrements in general, I don't particularly remember her "speakers" per se ...She was just absolutely built right all over and quite tall and had almost no furniture (at least in the "two big bay window" rooms which were the only part of her house I was ever in.   :'(

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

...wait wait wait, go back: Aggressors: Ancient Rome is getting a sequel!!  :bd: <:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Anguille on April 10, 2020, 11:14:50 AM
Just completed a full Campaign of Aggressor: Ancient Rome (being the Ptolemic Empire) but lost to Rome (Carhage was the other big nation). Was encouraged to dive again into this game as i am doing some translation and testing for the sequel: Imperiums.

:notworthy:

I'm also interested in this Ten Crowns thing you're testing Anguille.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Alas, no links yet. Apparently still in testing. We'll see them when we see them.

I'm just glad to hear an Aggressors sequel is coming. I haven't played it much, but I liked it enough to actually be wondering yesterday if it ever sold enough to justify financing a sequel. I'm glad for the devs at the very least!

W8taminute

Quote from: Ubercat on April 10, 2020, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 10, 2020, 09:53:19 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on April 10, 2020, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 10, 2020, 08:11:22 AM
...sparked up a bone...

Do I want to know what that means?

Sounds like you're too young to know what that means.   :)

It's not something vulgar but I'm sure there a few old timers here that would know what I'm talking about.

I guess that 52 wouldn't count as old-timer in this case.

Haha!  Well technically but you're only a year behind me.  Maybe this is just a New England term then.

MengJiao you are correct.  You could have been a hero back then if you had a bone to spark and you divided it, not hided it.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

WYBaugh

I thought it was a fat finger

Anguille

Quote from: airboy on April 10, 2020, 11:17:48 AM
Rome has better troops than every other nation.  You have to knock them out of the game pretty early to have a chance to win a military victory.
I didn't have so much problems with Rome but Carthage did. They lost most of Spain fast in the end of the game.

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2020, 02:35:38 PM
...wait wait wait, go back: Aggressors: Ancient Rome is getting a sequel!!  :bd: <:-)

It should be released this year:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1183470/Imperiums_Greek_Wars/