Main Menu

Hot For FRIDAY

Started by MetalDog, April 10, 2020, 06:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2020, 02:48:02 PM
Quote from: Anguille on April 10, 2020, 11:14:50 AM
Just completed a full Campaign of Aggressor: Ancient Rome (being the Ptolemic Empire) but lost to Rome (Carhage was the other big nation). Was encouraged to dive again into this game as i am doing some translation and testing for the sequel: Imperiums.

:notworthy:

I'm also interested in this Ten Crowns thing you're testing Anguille.  O:-)

Obviously i can't say anything about it....just that i got the key this Week. ;)

al_infierno

How does Aggressors compare to something similar like Field of Glory: Empires?  I'm thinking of grabbing it since the quarantine has me justifying buying new games left and right.   :))
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

I have absolutely no self control and bought it anyways, but if anyone would like to sell me on how it's different to FoG:E, I'm all ears!   :bd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

The primary differences:

Size -- FoG:Emp has more 'spaces', and covers a wider map range.

Factions -- ditto for FoG.

Combat -- both run automatically, although FoG has a nice way of illustrating this. However, FoG:Emp allows any battle to be exported to Field of Glory 2 (only the base game is required for this, none of the expansions) so that you can turn-based tabletop your fight. I have rarely done this, but it works fine.

Tech -- strictly speaking Agg has more of this, I think. Technological upgrades are more under-the-hood in FoG:Emp.

City upgrades -- FoG:Emp has more; they are a core game mechanic.

Map management -- Agg is the strong winner here, including with (primitive) terraforming options.

Logistics -- both games have a good logistic engine, implemented somewhat differently. Your armies need supply in each game, not merely gold pay for upkeep. You have some more flexibility about defying this fact in FoG:Emp (i.e. running your forces when out of supply).

Random map generator -- Agg has this; FoG:Emp doesn't.

Mods -- Agg has this, including user-made maps, and including tools for making your own maps and setups. FoG:Emp, very much not.

Diplomacy -- I think FoG:Emp has the definite edge there now, but previously Agg did.

Multiplayer -- Agg has no mp; FoG:Emp has very good mp, running Matrix's upgraded PBEM++ engine (now capable of more than two players.)

Aggressors is very much a Civ-style game, with hexes (not irregular regions like FoG). It has some different mechanics than a basic Civ-style game, but if you're familiar with the genre, you should feel somewhat at home immediately.

Fog:Emp is more like a(n older) TotalWar-style game, except no real-time battles.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

- MengJiao

airboy

Quote from: al_infierno on April 10, 2020, 05:30:46 PM
I have absolutely no self control and bought it anyways, but if anyone would like to sell me on how it's different to FoG:E, I'm all ears!   :bd:

I did an extremely detailed review of Aggressors that you can find at:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/02/aggressors-ancient-rome-a-very-detailed-review/

airboy

We finished Secrets of the Lost Tomb defeating the Mummy with Blue Eyes.

Gusington

Damn I wish that new Aggressors bit was out now. Is it DLC or a whole new game? Unclear on that Steam page.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Been playing around with "Generation Zero"...reminds me of one of the later Far Cry games....without the vehicle choices.

Very atmospheric, beautiful, detailed, huge world. Set in rural Sweden in the 1980s. Its you against a hoard of mechanized warriors. Stealth, sniping, tactical approach and hunting skills are needed. I'm not much of a twitch jockey...and this game allows me to run at my speed.  Scout an enemy strong point. Find a good perch, snipe a few robots and vanish into the woods before they figure out where you were. 

Sure, if you want a more direct approach, there are hand grenades and SMGs, but where is the fun in that?

Does have some "fast travel" and allows you to ride a bicycle...but otherwise you walk. A few interface quirks are somewhat irritating...but soon forgotten. Overall, a bunch of tension and fun.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MetalDog

Quote from: W8taminute on April 10, 2020, 03:12:07 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on April 10, 2020, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 10, 2020, 09:53:19 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on April 10, 2020, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 10, 2020, 08:11:22 AM
...sparked up a bone...

Do I want to know what that means?

Sounds like you're too young to know what that means.   :)

It's not something vulgar but I'm sure there a few old timers here that would know what I'm talking about.

I guess that 52 wouldn't count as old-timer in this case.

Haha!  Well technically but you're only a year behind me.  Maybe this is just a New England term then.

MengJiao you are correct.  You could have been a hero back then if you had a bone to spark and you divided it, not hided it.   :)

Somewhere on the interwebs earlier this week, I'm sure I posted, "A friend with weed is a friend indeed."
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ubercat

My wife, a former pot smoker, helped me out. Surprisingly neither Google or Urban Dictionary knew what it meant.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on April 10, 2020, 07:01:54 PM
Damn I wish that new Aggressors bit was out now. Is it DLC or a whole new game? Unclear on that Steam page.

I'm probably as familiar with the game as anyone here.  The update is mostly for modders.  It has a lot of things in it that allow modders to do a lot of things more easily.  The update is free if you have the game.  As far as I can tell, there is no DLC for the game on Steam.

MengJiao

Quote from: Ubercat on April 10, 2020, 08:10:45 PM
My wife, a former pot smoker, helped me out. Surprisingly neither Google or Urban Dictionary knew what it meant.

The term "bone" makes it a bit tricky.  Technically (at last in the West in the early 1970s) a bone was the most potent, heavily sucked upon last portion of the joint...requiring some permission from the group to either leave it, or become the most high.  Since weed was actually pretty mellow in those days as a rule, the bone had a more theatrical than real potency.  It was a possible honor or a minor point of correct behavior to note its passing or retention.

al_infierno

Quote from: airboy on April 10, 2020, 08:12:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 10, 2020, 07:01:54 PM

I'm probably as familiar with the game as anyone here.  The update is mostly for modders.  It has a lot of things in it that allow modders to do a lot of things more easily.  The update is free if you have the game.  As far as I can tell, there is no DLC for the game on Steam.

He's referring to this listing, which I'm pretty sure is a brand new game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1183470/Imperiums_Greek_Wars/

- MengJiao

GroggyGrognard

Probably get back into some The Division 2 this weekend. And maybe try to dive back into Order of Battle: World War II. The Erik2 scenarios intrigue me. Sadly, for myself, just not enough gaming time on the weekend.  :(

Quote from: Gusington on April 10, 2020, 08:42:54 AM
Probably more Diablo III, and then from there gearing up for some ancients with Field of Glory II, Rome Total War 2: Empire Divided and AssCreed: Odyssey.

What do you think of Diablo III? I just picked up Diablo III: Eternal Collection on sale at the PS4 store for 20 bucks. I figured I could not go wrong with that price because the collection includes the Reaper of Souls expansion and Rise of the Necromancer pack.

Stay safe, Grogs!

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin