Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

Of course we want to change history, but with somewhat realistic constraints.

Conquering and occupying a nation should not be easy, and almost a wash in manpower/resources when it comes to securing an enemy nation.   A country like Hungary should find it near impossible to take Yugoslavia, let alone half of Europe. They just shouldn't have the manpower and resources to accomplish this. If a country just becomes more and more powerful with every country it takes, then that is a major problem in the design of the game right off the bat.  Most aggressive countries throughout history have seen their downfall through overextending. Seems in all the HOI games including this one, that you just keep getting more powerful every nation you take. Even in EU IV it takes almost 30+ years to really see any benefit from taking over provinces from other nations.

So in a nutshell, if this is the best the AI can fight against a human playing Hungary, why even bother playing? Can you imagine what you could do with a major power? 

JudgeDredd

I like strategy games - I'm just not very good at them. Trust me when I tell you what other people see as bad AI is generally kicking my arse

I can have a great game against a bad AI  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

jamus34

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 19, 2016, 03:35:11 PM
I like strategy games - I'm just not very good at them. Trust me when I tell you what other people see as bad AI is generally kicking my arse

same here... One of my first games of HoI3 I got the shit kicked out of me by France playing as Germany
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

Quote from: jamus34 on May 19, 2016, 03:37:52 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 19, 2016, 03:35:11 PM

same here... One of my first games of HoI3 I got the shit kicked out of me by France playing as Germany

+100
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Tell me about it. I'm excited that I just won the 1st tutorial for Sengoku Jidai Shadow of the Shogun.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ian C

For me, I play at a slow pace and treat the game like a historical sim as much as it allows me to. I don't make unrealistic builds and I role play each nation. I get a lot more enjoyment this way instead of rushing through.

OJsDad

Ian, I think that goes with most of here.  When I play I minor player, my goals are a lot more limited than conquering the world.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Put my order in....originally was thinking about the more expensive versions, but settled on Cadet version.  I plan to play with counters so getting extra sprite graphics didn't seem worth it, plus we all know in a future Steam sale they will be dirt cheap:)  As for the FM version with the included expansions, seems like those will be a little ways off and likely can pick them up later from one of the cheap sites...

June 6th, we are waiting!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I remembered that PDox gave me a $25 coupon due to a weird technical issue I had with CKII sound that they couldn't fix.  Ordered.   Can someone teach me to mod so I can make bombers work?

bboyer66

I recommend everyone just buy a copy of the World In Flames boardgame. The AI is just as good as HOI, and its near impossible for Hungary to take over most of Europe in 2 years.    ;)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bboyer66 on May 20, 2016, 07:35:00 AM
I recommend everyone just buy a copy of the World In Flames boardgame. The AI is just as good as HOI, and its near impossible for Hungary to take over most of Europe in 2 years.    ;)

Good alternative...but learning curve and table space needs are a lot higher...;)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Hofstadter

Quote from: OJsDad on May 19, 2016, 05:23:54 PM
Ian, I think that goes with most of here.  When I play I minor player, my goals are a lot more limited than conquering the world.

A problem for me with the HOI games, and this is just for me. Theres too many options for nations. Like what is even the point of Brazil, or Jamaica, or a tiny country in the middle of nowhere.

I mean really how many goals can you set for nations like that
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

glen55

Quote from: Hofstadter on May 20, 2016, 11:36:54 PM

A problem for me with the HOI games, and this is just for me. Theres too many options for nations. Like what is even the point of Brazil, or Jamaica, or a tiny country in the middle of nowhere.

The better players could become great powers starting with just about anybody, including one of those mass of 1-province states in Germany.  You could look up strategies to win with lots of different countries on the wiki.  Probably the Native Americans were the hardest, but I saw an AAR of a guy who defeated the foreign invaders and united the tribes. 

Talking in the past tense because I'm not sure if any of that's possible with the latest patch.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

glen55

Quote from: glen55 on May 21, 2016, 03:05:23 AM

Just replying to myself here, because I happened across this reply, and if you think I'm being stupid, you're right.  Somehow I either thought we were talking about EU, or decided I wanted to change the subject, or . . . something.   :coolsmiley: 

:idiot2:

The better players could become great powers starting with just about anybody, including one of those mass of 1-province states in Germany.  You could look up strategies to win with lots of different countries on the wiki.  Probably the Native Americans were the hardest, but I saw an AAR of a guy who defeated the foreign invaders and united the tribes. 

Talking in the past tense because I'm not sure if any of that's possible with the latest patch.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bobarossa

Quote from: glen55 on May 22, 2016, 01:17:35 PM
Quote from: glen55 on May 21, 2016, 03:05:23 AM

Just replying to myself here, because I happened across this reply, and if you think I'm being stupid, you're right.  Somehow I either thought we were talking about EU, or decided I wanted to change the subject, or . . . something.   :coolsmiley: 

:idiot2:

I WAS slightly confused when I read it, but that's a normal condition for me.