Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

You know what always screws with my head in these games (HoI games)? Timing

I'm always gobsmacked and knocked back by the time it takes to research things. Unlike CiV where it's kind of fed to you and you see how long it takes but because it's over centuries, the time to research things doesn't phase me.

But with HoI games, looking at researching L6 Light Tanks takes 198 days!! That's over 1/2 a year! Researching Synthetic Oil takes 297 days (a year!)

And because of the time scale of HoI games, I'm very wary about how long things take to build and how long I have!

So that always throws me. Really looking forward to this though.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Raied on June 02, 2016, 11:49:15 AM
Any review yet?

Not that I have seen...but wouldn't matter anyway, it won't sway me:)  Pre-ordered and ready to go!

sandman2575

Here's an early review:

IT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME !!!

(Full disclosure: This review based on 100% pure speculation and sky-high expectations.)

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 02, 2016, 11:47:31 AM
Witcher 3 is too hard for me. I'm absolutely terrible at the combat.
Have you tried it on the lowest difficulty? It's a shame not to experience this game. It's unreasonably wonderful in all aspects.

There's also a card game within the game called Gwent that is possibly one of the best and most addictive tactical card games I've ever seen. It takes several games but when it clicks you'll get hooked.

I really can't wait for HOI 4. I never thought we'd have such great toys at middle age.

sandman2575

It's not just the combat, though. It's just the sheer, overwhelming size of the world, the complexity of the lore, etc. etc. My mind just can't absorb it right now (esp. since I never played any of the previous Witchers).

Witcher 3 is definitely one of those games I have on my HD that I regret not playing, because I know how amazing it seems. But it's way beyond my mental capacity at the moment --

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 02, 2016, 02:40:58 PM
It's not just the combat, though. It's just the sheer, overwhelming size of the world, the complexity of the lore, etc. etc. My mind just can't absorb it right now (esp. since I never played any of the previous Witchers).

Witcher 3 is definitely one of those games I have on my HD that I regret not playing, because I know how amazing it seems. But it's way beyond my mental capacity at the moment --

I played Witcher 1 but you are right, there's lot of lore to absorb. I cope with it by playing in small bursts.

As far as watching Quill's HOI4 videos, I just finished the last one and I think it's too much like torture now.
The end came when while pausing the vid to absorb some detail, I clicked on the GUI to check it out and realised it wasn't the game.
Roll on Monday.

acctingman

Quote from: Ian C on June 02, 2016, 03:05:28 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on June 02, 2016, 02:40:58 PM

I played Witcher 1 but you are right, there's lot of lore to absorb. I cope with it by playing in small bursts.

As far as watching Quill's HOI4 videos, I just finished the last one and I think it's too much like torture now.
The end came when while pausing the vid to absorb some detail, I clicked on the GUI to check it out and realised it wasn't the game.
Roll on Monday.

I just watched his first two videos playing Italy.....

I don't think I can wait to buy the game  :uglystupid2:

JudgeDredd

I have no idea how The Witcher 3 turned up in this thread - but I'd add it's a fantastic game!
Alba gu' brath

Con

Adding tot he thread convergence I literally fired up Witcher 3 yesterday and bought the two DLCs for it.  Its the only console type game that I have ever finished and very immersive and lovely to play.

Now I am watching Quills HOI4 videos and this game which was never on my radar screen now has me thinking I need to get this as well.

Con

sandman2575

Quote from: Con on June 02, 2016, 04:17:02 PM
Now I am watching Quills HOI4 videos and this game which was never on my radar screen now has me thinking I need to get this as well.

You do.   ;)

Grim.Reaper

I wonder what Sandman would do if they suddenly announced a 3-month delay?  Might be a fun experiment:)

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 02, 2016, 04:47:36 PM
I wonder what Sandman would do if they suddenly announced a 3-month delay?  Might be a fun experiment:)

You cruel, cruel man. I'm henceforth labeling you "Prince of Terror" in keeping with HOI's traditional character traits.   :coolsmiley:

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 02, 2016, 04:51:45 PM

You cruel, cruel man. I'm henceforth labeling you "Prince of Terror" in keeping with HOI's traditional character traits.   :coolsmiley:

I am actually looking forward to it myself, I am just trying to hide my excitement since still 4 days to go:)

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 02, 2016, 01:17:43 PM
You know what always screws with my head in these games (HoI games)? Timing

I'm always gobsmacked and knocked back by the time it takes to research things. Unlike CiV where it's kind of fed to you and you see how long it takes but because it's over centuries, the time to research things doesn't phase me.

But with HoI games, looking at researching L6 Light Tanks takes 198 days!! That's over 1/2 a year! Researching Synthetic Oil takes 297 days (a year!)

And because of the time scale of HoI games, I'm very wary about how long things take to build and how long I have!

So that always throws me. Really looking forward to this though.

Isn't that realistic? A day can go by quickly anyway since it is real time.

OJsDad

What wi

I wonder how Sandman would react if HOI4 releases tomorrow but he didn't know about it until Monday!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.