Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Neither scenario would be optimal, as far as I'm concerned.  Still, I'd take 3-day early stealth release over 3 month delay, if forced to choose.   :)

AchillesLastStand

This is one of the better videos I have seen from the last couple days. Come Monday I am going to start an American campaign, it will be called "you didn't build that".
;D

https://youtu.be/VyCL1LIESR8

Ian C

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 02, 2016, 10:15:24 PM
This is one of the better videos I have seen from the last couple days.

Now, that's more like it. 'Historical Plausibility' is an exciting feature. Rather than some random AI idiocy we see France in a civil war with the communists and not taking any nonsense over Germany's reoccupation of the Rhineland. This is why historical games, when done well, can open up unexpected opportunities for ahistorical but entirely plausible paths into new wargaming territory.

JudgeDredd

He's invading France in 1936??  ???
Alba gu' brath

Ian C

Freyland

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 02, 2016, 10:15:24 PM
This is one of the better videos I have seen from the last couple days. Come Monday I am going to start an American campaign, it will be called "you didn't build that".
;D

The Hitler picture on the Political pop-up has it's eyes crossed.  If you cannot un-see it, I deeply apologize.  >:D

I hate watching videos of complicated games where the player knows what he is doing, and I haven't a clue.  I get a headache and eye strain from trying to follow all the details as he speeds through them, and HOI4 uses lots of palate and texture changes to differentiate what overlay you are using.  I need morphine now.

jomni

IronX

I hate watching videos of complicated games where the player knows what he is doing, and I haven't a clue.  I get a headache and eye strain from trying to follow all the details as he speeds through them, and HOI4 uses lots of palate and texture changes to differentiate what overlay you are using.  I need morphine now.

This is why I generally don't watch these videos. The new beginners tutorials are watchable, however, as he demonstrates the game at a more measured pace.

Rayfer

Being able to automate trade in HoI3 was greatly appreciated by me....anyone know if it can be done in IV...?

smittyohio

Still curious if this can reasonably simulate the Pacific War or not....  anyone see any videos showing such?

Ian C

Quote from: smittyohio on June 03, 2016, 01:04:30 PM
Still curious if this can reasonably simulate the Pacific War or not....  anyone see any videos showing such?

Not yet. This is one area I'm very interested in also. I really want to see a pre-release peek at AI Japan and U.S vs. AI Japan.
However, what I've seen overall so far has completely sold me on HOI4. 
On a minor note there are options to turn off 3D buildings and units and also to select NATO counters.
Super happy.

IronX

That's good news about the counter option. Didn't think it was going to make it into the game this time.

I'm also a little concerned about the lack of Pacific gameplay videos. Here's hoping it has improved.

sandman2575

Curious too about Pacific War but have to be honest, I'm not expecting miracles here, at least not in the state HOI4 will be in at launch on Monday.

I think we have to accept there are going to be growing pains with this game. I have no doubt there will be parts of the game that feel underdeveloped and in serious need of improvement. Naval warfare may well fall into that category, I don't know.

What I do know is to avoid the Paradox HOI4 forum. The amount of bitching and complaining over there is really something to behold, for a game that hasn't even released yet. I've been posting there but am going to stop now -- it's a fool's errand trying to persuade people there that (A) no, the game isn't broken and (B) to maybe, just maybe, be a little patient and give Pdox time to improve some areas of the game. It's like the forum is populated 90% by 12-year-olds. Or shut-ins with little idea of how the real world functions. Maybe both at the same time...

bboyer66

Quote from: smittyohio on June 03, 2016, 01:04:30 PM

Considering that right now it cant do a very good Europe, I am skeptical.  Just watched Quill18 curb stomp ......... well frankly whoever he wanted as Italy.   

JudgeDredd

I'm really, really not fussed about the historical accuracy at all.

I'm hoping to have some fun building and empire as whomever  ;D
Alba gu' brath