Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

never mind.....answered my own question (troop attrition)  O0

Pete Dero

Quote from: Great Ajax on June 13, 2016, 06:14:49 PM
I took a look at this on the diplomacy screen.  The 'Join Wars' option is greyed out with the mouse over note 'We participate in all of Poland's War already'.  My armies sit on my border with their animated arrows nicely pointing towards the Polish-Soviet border and do nothing.

Trey 

You could try this : delete all battleplans and order your divisions manually over the border.  If this works this means you can help in the war but there is something wrong with the plans (reluctant generals, troops still preparing for the plan, not enough divisions for this, ...).

Also look at the diplomacy screen for the USSR and see if you don't have anything holding you back (non-aggression pact ?  - very unlikely but you never know).

jamus34

OK so this trade thing seems to be broken on the main game.

In the tutorial I clearly saw CF increases due to exports.

Started two separate games (Japan and Germany) and I am showing a ton of exports but when i check the construction screen it shows 0 as the CF gain from trade.

I'll try to screen shot and post here and maybe to pdox.
Insert witty comment here.

jomni

Quote from: Great Ajax on June 13, 2016, 05:47:07 AM
I have five front lines and five offensive lines for each of my armies and the commanders all have green check marks.  My planning bonus is maxed at 50%.  The armies sit all grouped up in a single province on their part of the front line and do not disperse to cover the entire line.  The only thing I can think of is that I am not at war with Poland but they are my ally.  Can I not send troops into Poland to help them defend against the Soviets?

Trey

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 13, 2016, 03:09:38 AM
Quote from: Great Ajax on June 12, 2016, 07:22:36 PM
Ugh.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out this battle plan thing.  I am Germany and me and Poland are defensive allies and the Soviet Union has invaded Poland and I want to come to the aid of my allies.  I have five armies and I set a frontline with all five of them along the German-Polish border.  Then, I set an offensive line in Poland and I have all of the colorful arrows showing the attack paths of the armies.  I click on the button to execute the plan and nothing.  The Armies do not disperse to cover the initial front line - they just stay in one group in one province and they do not advance along their route of attack.  I do not know what to do to get them moving.

Trey

If I understand this correctly you have 5 armies and created one frontline but you need a frontline for each army.  In your case this means you should create five battle plans (or merge some armies).  When you look at the frontline you can see how many divisions are attached to it (a green V should appear to show they are ready and the plan is not too risky).

Don't have the game. Is there such a thing as Defensive Line. Maybe your troops are waiting for the enemy to capture your land before moving since you set Offensive Line.

bbmike

In one of the videos I watched there was a line you could set for your armies to fall back to and defend.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Pete Dero

Quote from: jamus34 on June 14, 2016, 04:44:44 AM
OK so this trade thing seems to be broken on the main game.

Not really broken : based on your trade laws part of your economy is 'reserved' for export :  ( http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Ideas#Trade_laws )
The remaining part can be used for your production or for trade.

If you hover over a resource you will notice xxx exported but 0 traded, meaning you will not get a civilian factory.
So far I managed a few times to get civilian factories from trade so I guess it works as planned.

acctingman

I will admit I'm not only a Paradox noob but also a strategy game noob, but I think this game needs some TLC from the developers. It's a neat game and has huge upswing, but someone took it out of the oven too soon.

Putting this on the shelf until they tweak it some more.

mikeck

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm sure there are a few bugs here and there but I don't find the game to be wacky need anything or prematurely released. You can't wait until all the bugs are out to release something because it would never be released in that case.

You posted several times that you don't like the game and  I understand ...but what specifically are you having problems with  that you think shows the game is not finished? Maybe someone here to help it's mechanical or operator error?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

Quote from: mikeck on June 14, 2016, 02:07:57 PM
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm sure there are a few bugs here and there but I don't find the game to be wacky need anything or prematurely released. You can't wait until all the bugs are out to release something because it would never be released in that case.

You posted several times that you don't like the game and  I understand ...but what specifically are you having problems with  that you think shows the game is not finished? Maybe someone here to help it's mechanical or operator error?

+1  Pete D and IanC have been awesome on this thread with advice and clearing up functions that aren't intuitive or in the non-existent manual.

acctingman

Don't think I ever said I don't like the game  :o...quite the opposite. I think it's pretty amazing, really, but I'm sure some of it (maybe more than I'm willing to admit) is my lack of experience in this genre. I'll just keep plodding along.

I agree, IanC and Pete's video's are awesome and a great help.

sandman2575

Still loving HOI4 but starting to worry that I'm rapidly approaching the point where I can no longer overlook the game's most glaring weakness:  the AI.

This was bound to be the case. For a game this complex, the AI is going to remain a work in progress for a long time -- and maybe something that only large-scale mods like a "BlackICE for HOI4" or "CORE" will be able to solve.

But now that I've become pretty comfortable with most of the game's mechanics, it gets harder and harder to ignore the lack of challenge the AI provides. One of the bigger problems is that the AI doesn't build anything other than very basic infantry divisions, and *lots* of them -- and apparently doesn't even build medium or heavy tanks, just light tanks (!!). It gets frustrating to send your armies against an AI that mostly doesn't even add artillery to its divisions. They're little more than cannon fodder...

As ever with Pdox games, the initial challenge is just learning the game. But beyond that, I worry that HOI4 is just way too easy in its present state. Toughening up the AI has got to be the devs' Number 1 priority.

Rekim

Compared with past HOI releases this one is in great shape coming out of the gates. Considering that most/all of the major features appear to be working out of the box I'm confident that the AI will be receiving some love from the devs sooner than later.

In my current game I've noticed the allies investing heavily in aircraft, subs and small amounts of armor.

mikeck

Quote from: acctingman on June 14, 2016, 02:57:54 PM

Don't think I ever said I don't like the game  :o...quite the opposite. I think it's pretty amazing, really, but I'm sure some of it (maybe more than I'm willing to admit) is my lack of experience in this genre. I'll just keep plodding along.

I agree, IanC and Pete's video's are awesome and a great help.

Ok. I had thought I had seen you post you didn't like it when I was looking for opinions on the game before I bought. Nothing wrong with not liking it so it wasn't a criticism. Just for me, if I don't care for a game- regardless of how much I want to like it- I have far less patience to learn it and I become more critical. So I was just recommending that you don't give up yet! Ask around for help. These paradox "Clauswitz" engine games are extremely complex. Most of the time things don't work due to some type of intended game mechanic. Give it some time
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

OK...I researched the P40 Warhawk fighter and researched the carrier variant of the P40 as well. But when I go to the construction screen and select aircraft to build, only the non-carrier Warhawk is available. I built some and tried to put them onto an existing carrier but it wouldn't allow me to.  Any suggestions about this?? Thanks.

Yskonyn

I think you answer is somewhere in this thread. The same problem was mentioned.
Its got to do with Carrier Ops research not being unlocked yet.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."