Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptHowdy

Quote from: CptHowdy on June 18, 2016, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2016, 10:03:49 PM
Quote from: CptHowdy on June 18, 2016, 09:43:18 PM
anyone else getting missing tooltips? lower right hand corner has options for several things and it did give a tooltip when you hovered over them. now all they do is show the shortcut key, no tooltip.

Mine still shows tooltips in that area of the screen...

hmm okay. will check all my settings again. thought their last patch messed things up.

figured it out. the UI scaling was set to 1.1.  I changed it back to 1.0 and the tooltips reappeared.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: CptHowdy on June 19, 2016, 09:33:21 AM
Quote from: CptHowdy on June 18, 2016, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2016, 10:03:49 PM
Quote from: CptHowdy on June 18, 2016, 09:43:18 PM
anyone else getting missing tooltips? lower right hand corner has options for several things and it did give a tooltip when you hovered over them. now all they do is show the shortcut key, no tooltip.

Mine still shows tooltips in that area of the screen...

hmm okay. will check all my settings again. thought their last patch messed things up.

figured it out. the UI scaling was set to 1.1.  I changed it back to 1.0 and the tooltips reappeared.

Good to know...haven't messed with the scaling options yet so haven't seen the impacts of changing it.

Ian C

Helpful Theatre Icons Mod. A NATO Army/Corps/Division/Brigade/Regiment one would be nice too...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=703017353

jomni

So I can't use my captured provinces until a peace conference?  Looks like still a long way to go. Must take Japan Home Islands after liberating China? I don't have a navy and air force. I guess I'm stuck with 2 provinces for the rest of the war and Nationalist China and USSR would probably get the most war score.

Ian C

Quote from: jomni on June 19, 2016, 07:55:02 PM
So I can't use my captured provinces until a peace conference?  Looks like still a long way to go. Must take Japan Home Islands after liberating China? I don't have a navy and air force. I guess I'm stuck with 2 provinces for the rest of the war and Nationalist China and USSR would probably get the most war score.

Peace Deals are being updated/fixed in the coming patch.

More Variants Mod
I don't know about balance but this looks interesting:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704622378

German Infantry Reskin:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705298469

jomni

Yeah peace deals lead to strange outcomes.  I see people complaining about getting screwed by results. The losing countries surrenders to some obscure country or those who are perceived to not "participate much".

Jarhead0331

I had a peculiar situation that required me to give up and start a new game.

So, I'm playing as Germany. I have about 40 divisions fighting their way through Yugoslavia and another 60 working their way through Poland. This left me with only a handful of divisions guarding the border with France, with whom I was at war. Anyway, the Soviet Union also declares war on Poland. We have signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. At some point, the Reds declare war on France and/or the Netherlands. Before I know it, 60 to 100 Soviet Divisions are racing through Germany toward the Maginot Line! At no point did I grant military access to my territory, so unless the M/R Pact permits this, which it shouldn't, the Russians should not have been able to enter my territory without a declaration of war and we were not at war, nor were we allied. Eventually, Yugoslavia and Poland capitulate. Unfortunately, even though my forces had captured Warsaw, Poland surrenders to the Russians and the conquered territory gets distributed in a bizarre patchwork way between Germany and Russia.

Anyway, with the vast majority of my army in the east, and a massive Soviet build up within my own territory on my Western border, I didn't see any way to carry on. So the six million dollar question is, WTF....how were the Russians able to violate my borders and literally walk across Germany to confront the French/Dutch?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 20, 2016, 05:34:57 AMSo the six million dollar question is, WTF....how were the Russians able to violate my borders and literally walk across Germany to confront the French/Dutch?

It's the Military Access bug. Apparently being included with the coming patch:

Access to allied territory
One of the biggest talked about issue has been the fact that as long as you fight the same enemy you automatically gain military access, even from other factions. This was kind of a bandaid for an old issue, and we never liked it either... so we have been listening and working on a solution. The way things work now is that you will be requiring military access as expected and the game will also alert you if you end up in a position where you are trying to move into occupied area you don't have access to (as this for democracies would liberate those nations you will need to ask for permissions, which ai will give you). We are still testing our solution, so there might be further changes still.

Link to full post: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-june-17th-patch-1-1-red-ball-express.949237/

Jarhead0331

Wow. That's pretty atrocious. Thanks.

Sounds like it's not a bug, but a solution to an issue that they could not figure out a better approach. I hope their efforts to address it in the upcoming patch are successful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

acctingman

I haven't play the game much, maybe 20 hours (mainly as Mexico, Spain and a couple other minor's) and after reading a lot of what others are experiencing with playing as the majors I'm going to stick this game on the shelf (well, there are more reasons than this.....getting married in 30 days, work getting busier and summer being here).

I think the upcoming patches will make this game ever better and I can't wait for some more mods to come out. There are already some nice cosmetic ones out there.

All in all, this game is really neat but has so much more potential.

Really appreciate this thread and all your comments and tips. It has helped out this NOOB PDX/strategy gamer immensely!!!  O0

Jarhead0331

^condolences on the wedding.  ;)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

FlickJax

acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 20, 2016, 10:39:23 AM
^condolences on the wedding.  ;)

HAHAHA!

That's the same thing all my married buddies have said.

47yr old and this is my first go around. I waited to get everything out of my system (except gaming.....and she's good about my gaming time)

O0

Raied

Yeah the game currently has a lot of flows that cannot be simply ignored. So I have to shelf it for a while maybe for a couple of major patches, even though I really enjoyed toying with all new mechanism.

Jarhead0331

I'm still going to toy with it, but yeah...as Germany at least, its frustrating to lose years of game time effort to a silly exploit like the one I described above. They MUST fix this.

I don't recall this happening in any of the other HOI titles, but then again, in all of my games, I have never seen Russia declare war against any of the allied powers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog