Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raied

Any feature they will be adding whether it is good or bad, paid or free, will not interest me if the AI and many mechanisms are not working well as WW2 game. I am now certain this game is not for me, and I am glad for people who is enjoying it, I think paradox did a good job overall for attracting many gamers to their newer titles.
I will stuck with the other plenty amazing WW2 strategy games there.
Just my 2 cents.

solops

Yeah, I have had a lot of questions about this HOI4. I have all of the other HOI titles and DLC, as well as spin-offs "Darkest Hour" and "Arsenal of Democracy." I am wondering if "World War II Europe 1939-1945" (which I have) or "Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe" might be better. Does anyone know anything about Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe?
Assuming they can debug these games, it all seems to come down to the AI.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Raied

I am eagerly waiting for Strategic Command, the focus on Europe however, but even if the AI is not good at least it has Slitherine PBEM system for multiplayer.
I do not like to play Paradox games multiplayer due to the fact you have to be online with your opponent(s) at the same time, so AI in paradox games is very important (and of course how the game is designed for that).

sandman2575

First HOI4 expansion -- "Together for Victory" -- announced:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/together-for-victory-announced.979464/

Gotta say, this doesn't exactly blow me away. "New National Focus trees" for Commonwealth nations seems to be the big selling point here - ? Really?

I mean, who cares about the UK and Commonwealth? We all know 'Murica won the war, with a minor assist from the Russkis  (*ducks and runs out of room*)   ;)

jamus34

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 01, 2016, 01:15:20 PM

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/together-for-victory-announced.979464/

Gotta say, this doesn't exactly blow me away. "New National Focus trees" for Commonwealth nations seems to be the big selling point here - ? Really?

I mean, who cares about the UK and Commonwealth? We all know 'Murica won the war, with a minor assist from the Russkis  (*ducks and runs out of room*)   ;)

Well besides that bit of revisionist history :D this was my major concern with HoI4... That they would nickle and dime the foci.

The AI I understand is a work in progress but the diplomacy and cloak and dagger aspects need a ton of work IMO and that's what I'm looking for in a dlc.
Insert witty comment here.

Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on November 01, 2016, 01:56:12 PM

Well besides that bit of revisionist history :D this was my major concern with HoI4... That they would nickle and dime the foci.

The AI I understand is a work in progress but the diplomacy and cloak and dagger aspects need a ton of work IMO and that's what I'm looking for in a dlc.

Let's be optimistic....the paradox site does also say And much more, including updates and changes to the combat system  Perhaps the much more is just that?

sandman2575

I hope you're right Rayfer - I'm sure there will be more content, but seems to me if it were planning truly exciting changes, Pdox would be highlighting that instead of "Look! New National Focuses!"

Hofstadter

I hope the tree for Australia will be unique. I think that will be a great exvuse t get drunk, record and try to conquer yankland
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Hofstadter on November 01, 2016, 10:28:49 PM
I hope the tree for Australia will be unique. I think that will be a great exvuse t get drunk, record and try to conquer yankland

http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/australia.shtml

Ian C

jomni

Evil Australia eyeing NZ.  >:D

ArizonaTank

I am not excited about this either.... oh well....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

I'll expect that the German and Soviet DLC will be released late on.

FlickJax

To be honest I think its pretty cool for the British Commonwealth to get some love for a change, to often its about the US, Germany and USSR.

The British Commonwealth did a pretty good job at stemming the tide and keeping the soviets afloat.

sandman2575

Quote from: FlickJax on November 02, 2016, 08:14:10 AM
The British Commonwealth did a pretty good job at stemming the tide and keeping the soviets afloat.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. As an inveterate Yankee, I just couldn't resist the temptation to rib our fellow Crown and Commonwealth grogs a bit.   ;)

To be honest, the nation I think most in need of love is Japan, and I think that's been the case in every HOI game. I'd have to guess that from an AI programming standpoint, Japan must be the most difficult nation in the game to model correctly. So I'm not knocking Pdox, but I do think once again, the Pacific War is a mess in HOI, and solving the Japan AI seems key to improving it.