Main Menu

Gear City

Started by DennisS, June 05, 2014, 05:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Is there any actual driving? Test tracks, races, etc?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 06, 2014, 08:36:24 PM

I don't believe so...

you can try the last available demo version which was made available before first access....they say it is pretty close to what was released.

http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1531

jomni

DennisS

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 06, 2014, 08:36:24 PM

Yes. Your vehicle can be vetted vs. other cars in an automated racing type circuit.

Also, there is a sophisticated car comparison tool.

On the steam discussions on this game, and in general strategy, one really stood out for me.

One of the dozens, if not hundreds of reports available is the "Top 50" vehicles sold, by volume, worldwide. Almost worth the cost, JUST to have this report! Imagine how cool it would be to make your one version of a 1964 Ford Mustang, and have it rocket up the charts, month to month.

Anyway, this player suggested that one excellent way to make a few dollars would be to see what the top selling vehicle was, evaluate carefully the body type, engine, tranny, chassis, suspension, level of comfort, luxury, fuel economy, value, etc., and straight copy it, dawg.

...but not before you tweak it, to make the basic concept just a liiittle bit better, a teeny bit cheaper, and sell it for a liiittle bit less.

1,440 turns is a shit lot of turns. I will be lost in this game for a hell of a long time. Love the genre, love the simulation aspects of it, love the deep DEEP economic sim part of it.

-budd-

thx........another game for the wishlist.....dammit ::)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

DennisS

Quote from: -budd- on June 06, 2014, 10:44:54 PM
thx........another game for the wishlist.....dammit ::)

I started my first real game, in New York City. Built a cheap ass truck, and marketed the snot out of it. Cost me about $650 to build, sold them for about twice that. My heavy marketing only came out to about 3% of gross revenue..I would have thought it would have been higher. I am going to budget for 10%, in think, but not yet.

Brand recognition doesn't do you a hell of a lot of good if you make shit cars. RE: Chrysler. I learned this in Capitalism 2. I will wait to build the brand after I build a very good, high quality car.

I didn't realize how vast your production facilities could be. The first one had about 6 production lines, and I could only crank out about 600 trucks a month. I built a much larger one, in Detroit, and it can crank out 26 production lines, an THOUSANDS of cars a month.

I am having a go big or go home moment. My second vehicle, a Phaeton, is pretty darned good, but there ain't no way I'm going to sell thousands of them a month. I sold 146 the first month, and built almost 500. Sheesh. I opened up several new dealerships, scattered all over the Great Lakes Region, and bumped up the advertising..again! I may also drop my price down a bit, from the current $4300 each. They cost me $2300, and the game developer recommends selling for about double the cost.

Thank God I started on easy difficulty. I have blown through several million dollars, already. Need to start making a profit, or I'm in deep doo-doo.

You really get the feel for the realities of the game. Do I spend another $2 on my gearbox design, to gain another half-star for reliability?? I can see trying to make every dollar count in this game.

GREAT game. Couple of bugs, couple of crashes, but it is an early game.

jomni

This game needs tooltips.

Grim.Reaper

I ended up buying this today....it is worth the chance based on what I saw in the demo and from what I have read here and over at the forums.  The developer seems like a good person and is really open in discussing his game and it sales/success.  Seems like right now from a sales perspective it is meeting his minimal sales goals but is way early in the sales process since just released.  Although the game has the majority of expected features included already, he said the game will be fully complete sometime in the next 6-18 months, depending on how sales go.  I interpret this as meaning the better the sales, the more stuff he will put in the game so it will take longer to be fully complete.  If sales aren't good enough, then he will complete sooner and consider it complete with whatever is there at the time.  Seems like a fair and honest approach.

I am not a car expert so it will be interesting on how well I actually do with the game, but willing to try anything out:)

Grim.Reaper

Update released this morning....

Latest update is out!
It may look like a big update, but it's not. In fact, the game should be 400mb smaller! So what did I do since the last update?

-Wrote a video settings resetting program
This should allow you to reset the video settings if you break something. You can also enter custom resolutions. It is still recommended to use the in game video settings editor until I expand on this program's features.

-Fixed engine and gearbox ratings
Should be able to make higher rated engines and gearboxes now, which will also increase your performance and other ratings in vehicles.

-Possible fix to office glow crash.
Possible crash fix, although seems like there is some residue from clicking an item

-Converted office tga's to dds. Possible crash fix.
This reduces the game's install size by 400mb, vram usage by 50mb-ish, and reduced the usage of freeimage lib (which does have a few stability issues.) On top of that it may fix one of the office crash bugs, but that remains to be tested.

-Fixed office crash in Linux Build.
This is what spawned the above fix. You guys won't see this yet though. Becuase I still have a few more things to do to the Linux build.

-Accessory placement by just clicking!
The big feature of the week. You can now click exactly where you want to place Parts/Tires/Accessories. Simply choose the "Click Placement" method on the right, click the object you wish to place, then click where you want to place it... In a patch or two I will probably make this feature default.

As always, let me know if you have any issues, and enjoy!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 05, 2014, 05:09:16 PM
That actually looks fun....

link to steam page, $12 right now...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/285110/

Looks like it just went to $15.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 07, 2014, 11:13:55 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 05, 2014, 05:09:16 PM
That actually looks fun....

link to steam page, $12 right now...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/285110/

Looks like it just went to $15.

You can still get it at a few places for $11.99 such as gamersgate for the next day or so..
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GEARCITY/gearcity-early-access

Or at gamefly and use the 20% code of JUN20OFF

DennisS

So. It's 1911, still in my first game. January, so I have already played 120 turns, at one turn a month.

I am making good money, and have about 20 million in the bank, drawing 4.32% interest. This, I like. I am not quite yet ready to pull the trigger on buying and selling stock, or even taking my own company public. Yet.

The first vehicle I made, a 1900 Flash "L", was a cheap-ass truck. Four horsepower...but I have sold many, MANY thousands of them. I upgraded this to a 1907 Juggernaut, a much better truck. I messed up the engine, and at the last minute, I swapped the one I had planned, about 40 horsepower, for my other engine, the one I had on my Phaeton sedan.

This 1907 variant truck, with an 80 horsepower car engine, modestly torqued, also did pretty well. It was expensive to produce, and sell, primarily due to the VERY nice engine. Lots of peeps running around in a truck that did 0-60 in 8.2 seconds.  ;D

My Phaeton, built in 1903, has been a real money maker for me..but technology marches on, and at this point, I can't sell more than a couple of hundred a month.

The 1900 truck is selling, slowly, the 1903 Phaeton Excalibur isn't selling, period, and my 1907 truck, with the car engine, is only selling to the upper middle class.

So, I needed a new truck. From the ground up, to replace my 1900 L. I held the line on costs..minimal luxury, and who cares about gas mileage. Give me torque, dependability, and low cost.

I was selling my 1900 "L" for 1200 dollars each. The Phaeton, and my 1907 Juggernaut sold for 4k each. Pretty good markup on both, but I have had to drop the prices way, waay down just to move them off the lot. I messed up with both of them, and should have slowed down production before I did. So, I now have about 8 months of inventory, for two models with rapidly declining sales.

The market place is brutal.

I stopped production in New York, for all vehicles, and am in the process of modernizing and upgrading the capacity. Hugely, by a factor of five. Expensive, but I have my war chest for this.

I need a new truck. From the ground up, to replace my 1900 L, AND my poorly designed, VERY expensive Juggernaut. During the design phase, I held the line on costs..minimal luxury, and who cares about gas mileage. Give me torque, dependability, and low cost. My enormous Detroit factory, with 28 production lines, was also stopped completely, for about three months, while I set it up for the new model.

The cost came in, per vehicle, at $808. This means that I can sell it at a nice profit, at $1600 each. The problem here, is that as soon as this truck went on the market, my other truck's sales PLUMMETED. I can't give the fuckers away. They cost me $2300 to produce, and I am selling them for $2700. Good news is that I have several months just sitting around, gathering dust, so I am not incurring much additional in the way of costs.

I have devoted 10 lines of production in Detroit to the new truck, and it is the 6th best selling vehicle in the world right now, after two months. I am only using about 40% of all my production capacity, between New York and Detroit.

What to do what to do what to do. I believe that I am going to produce this identical truck, just upgrade the crap out of it! I'm going to be GM!!!!!

-budd-

I'm trying really hard not to jump on this games bandwagon...your not helping ;) I am currently playing the demo so i'm probably screwed anyway, i don't think the demo is current though. According to GG i have 1 day 6 hours and some minutes before the game is off sale. Now back to the demo.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Capn Darwin

:tickedoff: you guys are killin' my budget...grabbed it...now I just need time to play it. ::)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on June 07, 2014, 07:58:24 PM
I'm trying really hard not to jump on this games bandwagon...your not helping ;) I am currently playing the demo so i'm probably screwed anyway, i don't think the demo is current though. According to GG i have 1 day 6 hours and some minutes before the game is off sale. Now back to the demo.

You can also grab at gamefly for the same price, using the discount code...
use the 20% code of JUN20OFF
http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-gear-city/5008373

Or gamesrocket for the lowest price of 11.49
http://us.gamesrocket.com/download/GearCity.html?ref=516&currency=USD

Or Indie store for 11.99
http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/gearcity.html