Mount and Blade Bannerlord

Started by Bison, June 12, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

Quote from: Toonces on January 05, 2022, 05:32:31 PM
Ugh.  I totally forgot to buy this yesterday.

Guess I'll have to wait on another sale.

Warband kicks my ass.  I've never gotten very far in building an army.

I've played a lot of Warband and M&B original - I remember an epic battle against the Khergits, lasted for nearly 45 minutes. ON HORSE! I did okay in Warband, I managed to get to some degree with some soldiers. It's a lot of grind though. Training them. But it was fun. I might have to revisit that.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Yskonyn

1.7.0 hit stable branch today.

Great time to get started with Bannerlord IMO.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Too much to play! Too many choices!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I put a shit-ton of hours into this over the weekend. I now have a castle and a couple of settlements in my fief, a wife, and a small, but formidable veteran army of over 100 soldiers. I've sworn allegiance to Garios of the Western Empire. He is a general and claimant to the throne of the Calradic Empire.  At one point, I had been awarded a second castle and fiefdom, but I had to restart due to a complete disaster in battle. There have been a couple times I've been cornered by much larger armies and had to restart with prior saves.

In any event. Really good game in its current state. Can certainly be fleshed out more...particularly at the strategic level. There just isn't that much to do other than wage war. Would be really nice if internal and external diplomacy was much more detailed. There is so much potential there with all the nobles and characters with differing interests and influence, all jockeying for power. I also find the military command interface in battle confusing. I need to really master that once and for all, then I'll be pretty fearless.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2022, 09:06:25 AM
.... I also find the military command interface in battle confusing. I need to really master that once and for all, then I'll be pretty fearless.

The new patch changed the battle interface quite a bit. I was pretty proficient the old way...now its a bit nerfed for me...  I am sure I'll figure out the new way...but somewhat frustrated with the "new" changes.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

What ever happened to that mod that was suppose to link ckiiii with banner lord ?  If that ever releases this will be next level.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I see other nobles "raising armies" of hundreds of troops. Is it possible for the player to do this? If so, how?

I'm now a pretty wealthy warlord. I have three fiefs with three very strategic castles defending the frontier. I have influence second only to the Emperor of the Western Empire, yet I can only maintain a party of 110 men. Stewardship skills tend to increase this capacity by only a handful of men at a time and it takes forever to increase this skill.  There must be some other way to form larger parties and command more powerful armies. I've thought about possibly trying to get companions to form separate parties who could then possibly be commanded. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Fetrik

I haven't played myself yet, but from what I've seen you do call your nobles together into a warparty.
By nobles i mean other lords you have invited into your kingdom. Yes you can give a army to your companions too
But the simplest way seem to be to recruit friendly lords instead.

Philippe

The game has just come out of early access, whatever that really means.

I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide whether to buy it now, or wait six to nine months for a decent sale.

Any thoughts from those who have played Bannerlord and Warband on whether the hefty price tag is justified ?

From what I've seen I like the visuals, but when I think about my Warband experiences I really hated the way the AI moved troops around on the attack (everybody streaming after the leader -- which kills the immersion and is too easy to defeat) and I found the conceit of the arenas really annoying. 

I'm hoping the AI has gotten better at moving troops around the battlefield, but I'm resigned to having to put up with the arenas because I had the impression they were very popular.

Waiting nine months is a real option because I've already got more games than I'll probably ever get around to playing,  and I have a ton of modding to do (even though I keep putting it off by telling myself that I'm on strike).

I suspect that the real reason I will ultimately get Bannerlord is for the mods that will eventually run off of it.  But those mods are probably a year or two out.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Philippe on October 26, 2022, 09:47:33 AM
The game has just come out of early access, whatever that really means.

I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide whether to buy it now, or wait six to nine months for a decent sale.

Any thoughts from those who have played Bannerlord and Warband on whether the hefty price tag is justified ?

From what I've seen I like the visuals, but when I think about my Warband experiences I really hated the way the AI moved troops around on the attack (everybody streaming after the leader -- which kills the immersion and is too easy to defeat) and I found the conceit of the arenas really annoying. 

I'm hoping the AI has gotten better at moving troops around the battlefield, but I'm resigned to having to put up with the arenas because I had the impression they were very popular.

Waiting nine months is a real option because I've already got more games than I'll probably ever get around to playing,  and I have a ton of modding to do (even though I keep putting it off by telling myself that I'm on strike).

I suspect that the real reason I will ultimately get Bannerlord is for the mods that will eventually run off of it.  But those mods are probably a year or two out.

I think it is fantastic. I have 35 hours into it and I feel like I've really only just scratched the surface.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

I think Bannerlord is the best of the lot. I really couldn't see going back.

AI is better, but still has a quirk or two.

Combat is more immersive IMHO. Giving commands is easier and you have more options.

The game has more immersion when it comes to becoming one of the nobles.

Still, if the price bothers you...wait. The older games are still pretty damn good.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Fortunately, now that Bannerlord has been solidly released, a remake of the original Witcher game is being developed by CDK.

....wait, that may not really be relevant in this thread...  :))

(Except for ironically unexpected joke purposes.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

So, I'm not really into these sorts of games but I read that there is a mod for this in the works (Kingdom of Arda...big middle earth mod) and this has really peeked my interest. Upon more googling I guess the same person(s) did a Kingdom of Arda mod for the original game.

I watched a couple intro youtube videos for Bannerlord 2 and wowsers...learning curve up the keester.  But, damn...this game looks amazing. I might grab it on sale. Gives me time to learn the mechanics of the game before they make the middle earth mod  ;D