July 1941: Hypothetical Dash to Bardia

Started by MengJiao, April 07, 2021, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Elaborating this deviant campaign -- here we have Rommel with all of his tanks setting out to relieve Bardia and retake some border positions.  This sort of resembles Rommel's historical "Dash to the Wire" during Crusader in November 1941 except that Rommel has all his tanks (21 Pz, Recam, 15 PZ and Ariete) and the Imperialists have all their armored Brigades but no US Stuarts.  It will be a win (again since they held Bardia last time) if the Imperialists don't hold all Victory hexes and Bardia in 10 days.  Historically, the Dash to the wire went badly for Rommel so let's hope he does better this time.  Here's a photo of the spearhead of the Axis forces facing the New Zealand division and the 7th armored before anyone moves on day 1:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 07, 2021, 09:29:02 AM

Elaborating this deviant campaign -- here we have Rommel with all of his tanks setting out to relieve Bardia and retake some border positions.  This sort of resembles Rommel's historical "Dash to the Wire" during Crusader in November 1941 except that Rommel has all his tanks (21 Pz, Recam, 15 PZ and Ariete) and the Imperialists have all their armored Brigades but no US Stuarts.  It will be a win (again since they held Bardia last time) if the Imperialists don't hold all Victory hexes and Bardia in 10 days.  Historically, the Dash to the wire went badly for Rommel so let's hope he does better this time.  Here's a photo of the spearhead of the Axis forces facing the New Zealand division and the 7th armored before anyone moves on day 1:

Surprisingly little happened on Day One of the battle; Imperial Infantry took part of the first defense line in Bardia.  Other formations adjusted with a lot of  uncertainty especially since RECAM failed to spearhead the Italian thrust into Sidi Azieis.    But this is what the the start of DAy 2 looks like:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 20, 2021, 09:11:15 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 07, 2021, 09:29:02 AM

Surprisingly little happened on Day One of the battle; Imperial Infantry took part of the first defense line in Bardia.  Other formations adjusted with a lot of  uncertainty especially since RECAM failed to spearhead the Italian thrust into Sidi Azieis.    But this is what the the start of DAy 2 looks like:

Day Two was a pure nightmare:  massive SNAFUs for the Axis and then the New Zealanders rolled two crazy double moves and I gave up.  It seemed like I had tried to push too far in a hypothetical direction (though that road to Bardia is where historically the Maori battalion ambushed some unlucky KG.).
   Then...more metaphysical horror:  as I started picking up the game and sorting out the formations I realized that the counter tray with Axis slots had gone missing...there was no going back...no way of reuniting with the lost souls etc. etc.
    Or I need new glasses and better lighting or bigger counters or something.

Anyway...picking up Brazen Chariots and undertaking something else in the realm of boardgames.