The Book of Boba Fett

Started by Jarhead0331, November 01, 2021, 10:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

so the best episode of Boba Fett doesnt have him in it.  :crazy2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 26, 2022, 09:11:32 PM
so the best episode of Boba Fett doesnt have him in it.  :crazy2:

That's why the episode is called 'Return of The Mandalorian'. And it even has Ming Na-Wen in it.  :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Now SHE can swing my lightsaber any time she wants.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Thoughts now that the season has wrapped up?

**************SPOILERS**************************

For me, the whole thing just felt "off".  I know they had originally planned to make a Boba Fett movie but it got canned after Solo tanked.  I suspect that a lot of the ideas they originally had for the Fett movie got ported into the Mandalorian TV show and as a consequence, Boba's story seemed to flounder a bit.  With bounty hunting off the table, they went with setting him up as a kind of crime boss.  There was potential there for an interesting take on a Mafia or new-sheriff-in-town style story but I think they missed the mark.  There wasn't much in the way of criminal empire building or backroom politicking at all.  Missed opportunity in my book.  Also, Boba came across as passive, indecisive, and kind of uninterested in events going on around him.  Rather than being like a bad-ass, it seemed to me that he was forever getting rescued by others and led by the nose by Ming Na Wen's character.  Also, I wish they'd stop going back to Tatooine over and over again and instead set the stories in other locations.  Nar Shadaa would've been cool. 

One of the things that felt most off to me was the combat.  In my opinion, it came across as "Disneyfied".  The lethality of the combats varied wildly between scenes and the final battle in the streets reminded me more of an episode of the A-Team than Star Wars.  The supposedly deadly combat droids blasters were ridiculously ineffective against adobe walls and even when the good guys were fleeing down the streets in a tightly packed mob, the droids were unable to hit anyone.  When main characters did get hit, they would just shrug it off.  The Wookie takes more than a dozen blaster hits, limps for a few seconds in one scene and is then completely fine in subsequent scenes.   Same with both Mandalorians.  Multiple direct blaster hits, gnawed on by a rancor, backhanded through walls yet they're totally fine. The droids should've just had the rancor fling them at the Mod's defensive position, Rancor propelled droids seem far more effective at destroying buildings than blaster cannons.  It just seemed kind of pointless as the lethality was so low that there was no sense of danger in the entire scene.

High points for me.  Live-action Cad Bane.  I thought he was great in the cartoons and pretty good in this series (still went out like a bit of a bitch though.  Much like Boba in ROTJ, he fell for the old gaffi stick in the back trick.) The bits with Mando and the dark sabre.  Unlike the low lethality series finale, the scene where Mando hacks up the dog-faced aliens in the butcher's shop was pretty awesome.

Low point.  The Mods.  Cheesy joke from a movie so old most people aren't going to get the reference.  Goofy hover Vespa bikes made it worse and that ridiculous low speed "chase" scene was cringey as hell.  Especially when one of the Mods used his Go-Go-Gadget foot to kick at the engine of the 1974 hover-Buick. 

Overall, it wasn't terrible but I was disappointed in that I felt they could've done so much more with the material, especially in light of how well done The Mandalorian was.

GDS_Starfury

but how fucking cute was the Grogu/rancor nap!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 10, 2022, 08:59:15 PM
but how fucking cute was the Grogu/rancor nap!

That was awesome. 

I like a lot were kinda not wowed by the series.  I mean, it was good, I liked it.  I'll watch it again and enjoy it.  But yeah, the high standards of Mando and the fact that this show couldn't escape Mando's shadow knocked it down a notch. 

As much as I like the Din and Grogu, I really think Boba would've been better off without them and that stuff had been saved for Mando season 3. 

Still, it was fun and the action in the finale was enjoyable.  Finally getting Boba vs Cad Bane was worth the price of admission.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Don't count Cad Bane out yet. Someone online pointed out that there was still a light shining on his implants or indicator panel or something (I'd have to go back and watch the scene). Could mean he will be back with more augments later on.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

Cad should have been the main protagonist of the show on behalf of the pikes.
a lot of wasted story there.
overall I enjoyed it but it could have been a lot better.

al_infierno

Critical Drinker really laid into this one:

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Staggerwing

Wow, you're not kidding. 'Book of Boba Fett' sure seems to have pissed all over Critical Drinker's corn flakes and even got some on his pop tarts as well.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Destraex

I liked Boba Fett but agree that the finale felt like episode IX of Star Wars. A randomly thrown together mess.
The whole series had "modern undertones" running through it which had Boba purposely made a man-child that needed constant looking after by other strong characters. If Boba was not the namesake of the TV series they probably would have considered just leaving him out of the whole thing or replacing him.

Fun series though. But would probably be hard pressed to watch again again. Mandalorian I might watch again though.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Sir Slash

OK. I just got a new reason to live to May. Better go get that Colonoscopy after all.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.