Drink up and go FRIDAY

Started by Moreb, February 14, 2019, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 15, 2019, 06:59:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2019, 06:45:31 PM
I'll look forward to reporting my findings to the crew.

I'll look forward to reading them.  Anthem could be great, in time.  I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The actual gameplay, that is...the story and the universe haven't really grabbed me yet, but the combat is very enjoyable. I like mixing fast paced ground combat with the flight mechanics and the weapons are all very satisfying to use. It sort of reminds me of a combination of Destiny and maybe a mass effect game. Lots of loot and customization. Tons of guns that you can equip or salvage to craft new parts and weapons and a lot of customization options for your javelins.

So far I've been going on private expeditions, but the javelins each seem specialized for the most part so I can see squad play being important as the challenge ramps up and enemies get harder. For my first new javelin I picked the colossus. The heavy suit...it just matches my play style best. I'll unlock a new one at level 8...I'm a level 4 right now.

Anyway, I'll play a lot of this over the weekend, so I'll keep posting impressions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Nice, I'm glad you're enjoying it. O0

Grim.Reaper

Anthem definitely is very nice looking.....still trying to come to grasps with all the controls and flying, but certainly has been fun so far.  In the end not sure if this will be my type of game where I will play a ton, more so because I tend to suck at them, but I will keep pressing on.

Crossroads

Installing my new C64 Mini this weekend  :nerd: :bd:

Games to be played: H.E.R.O., Pengo, ...  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

W8taminute

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 15, 2019, 08:49:04 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 15, 2019, 01:42:14 PM
This weekend I think I gonna rock on down electric avenue.

I worked hard like a soldier this week and I can't afford anything on tv.

Whoah! Flashback! That song video first popped up on Nightflight (USA network?) right about the time Adrian Belew's Big electric Cat video also premiered. Around 1982 maybe?

Thought I could sneak that in without anyone noticing.  I think Bob banned me for singing that in this thread though!

Big Electric Cat?  I've never heard that one and I thought I knew all songs '80s.  Just checked out the video on YouTube.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

Quote from: Crossroads on February 16, 2019, 08:35:56 AM

Remember to wear your safety goggles.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Crossroads

Quote from: bbmike on February 16, 2019, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on February 16, 2019, 08:35:56 AM

Remember to wear your safety goggles.  O0

O0
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on February 15, 2019, 10:16:48 PM
Is Shogo a solid game? I've heard that Titanfall 2 is a short game...

It's by Monolith, so the short answer is "yes". ;) I've beaten it at least twice, so it isn't terribly long either. The comparisons between the two games, in how they play and their style, start early and go long. I'd say the main playstyle difference is that in Titanfall, the robot interacts more independently. In Shogo it's purely a suit to be put on at special times, which effectively switches out the scale of the game maps and substitutes a different suite of weapons most of which are standard 1st/3rd person shooter tropes anyway. Also, wall-running is a main component of Titanfall, and I don't recall its bots transforming; although on the other hand again, the vehicle mode in Shogo is totally undeveloped: it simply gives you a slightly faster way to travel the map, without any way to defend yourself, and with more chance of hanging up on the terrain. ;)

Shogo is reeaaallllllyyy primitive compared to... well, even compared to a lot of things released around the same time or prior (1998). I wouldn't put it up against the original Half-Life for example. At the time, Monolith was basically an indie developer.

I one thousand percent expect you'll enjoy Titanfall 2 a lot more.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Rather than Shogo, might I recommend The Bureau: X-Com Declassified? It's on sale at Steam right now for $4. It'll probably be appreciated more by fans of the 'real' X-Com games, than otherwise, but it's a clever take on the standard X-com formula (translated over to a squad-led 3PS), and set in the 50s for lots of archaic sci-fi atmosphere.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Thanks Pratt. Yeah I looked up Shogo yesterday to discover how old it is. Oh well.

Checking out The Bureau now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd