Tooting My Own Horn

Started by meadbelly, May 22, 2012, 05:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meadbelly

After several years of working as contract writer, I have recently been given an opportunity to bring two of my professional worlds together. I will be the "writer in residence" for an established company while creating the operational infrastructure of a spinoff start up. I cannot mention names at this time.

It is a bittersweet change to a certain degree. I will no longer be as much of my own boss as I would like. It is also a recognition that ultimately, I have failed to build a sufficient business as a contract writer. But it's a spectacular opportunity to get my writing in front of industry and other audiences. And I'm enough of weirdo to actually enjoy conceptualizing and executing administrative and operational systems.

Though I unquestionably want to brag more than a little :), I recognize the difficulties of employment and economics, particularly in this time. I do not mean to rub anything in anyone's face. I wish nothing more than to share this personal good news with this community I enjoy and respect. Maybe not as much as my current one-sided bromance with Benedict Cumberbatch. But you know -- still, a lot!

Plus, I've been casually pointing out awesome wives and girlfriends from here to my current awesome girlfriend who strongly suspects my interest in war/gaming is not only completely daft, but a unique condition to me (and more importantly, her!). She's not quite falling all over herself being impressed with me or this latest news, but has been surprisingly impressed by the lot of you. So hopefully your awesome replies will make me look good.

After all, it's not what you know -- its who you game with.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Congrats! I had some similar success after a long dry run recently. So it is nice to see others have it as well!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

mirth

Grats Meadbelly. That's great news!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Agreed and agreed!  Congrats.
Any time is a good time for pie.

meadbelly

Thanks much, all. (And to the quick-acting moderator who moved this to the right place)

Jarhead and SoM. I remember both of your employment threads from wargamer. JH's is particularly memorable. From pretty dark depths (the unforseen layoff from well-liked position is one of life's truly unfortunate bitch-slaps, the man not only recovers with a job, an impressive new lady friend, but if iirc, also gets to drive a pretty sweet ride.

I bought a cheap bicycle.  8)

Gusington

Congratulations! I did not know you were a writer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Congrats, Meadbelly! That's great news. Any time you want to try your hand writing game reviews let me know. We can't pay you but we sometimes get games for free :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Congrats, mead. Always nice to see someone get to do something they're happy about.

bayonetbrant

very cool.  now I guess it's my turn to go find something cool to do and turn it into a real job somewhere.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 23, 2012, 07:08:21 AM

where do you put all the guns!!

Wow.  That's a damn good question.  I haven't had to try yet.  I will this weekend though.  We're taking the Evoque and a good number of small arms out to the country for some Memorial Day camping/hiking. I'll have to think about what can fit and how.  Thanks for mentioning it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

lmao - meant very tongue in cheek - i should have known better!

Martok

Congratulations, meadbelly!  I wish you best of luck in your new job/endeavor! 

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 23, 2012, 08:12:08 AM
lmao - meant very tongue in cheek - i should have known better!
Yes.  Yes you should have.  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces