We have a Pitch Meeting thread now. Threads are _tight!_

Started by JasonPratt, May 10, 2018, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 14, 2019, 09:30:26 PM

"Oh, Lumpy's great, he's like Chewbacca, if he wanted to eat your bone marrow."

I just saw it on Youtube and was about to post about it when I saw your post.

Interesting thing, I never got to watch this Christmas Special, for some reason no one ever aired it here.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Tpek on December 14, 2019, 11:44:12 PM
I just saw it on Youtube and was about to post about it when I saw your post.

Interesting thing, I never got to watch this Christmas Special, for some reason no one ever aired it here.

I vaguely remember being excited for the Christmas Special when it came out, I would have been 8 years old. Even as an 8 year old I recognized the recycled special effects (chiefly the Star Destroyers) but everyone our age was gaga over Star Wars so we probably ate it up. All the weirdness that is so obvious now probably sailed right over my head at the time, but of course, you'd also have to compare the special to TV in general at the time, which was slower paced and aimed at wide demographics since there were only 3 main US networks at the time, not counting PBS.

The Pitch meeting videos still manage to stay fresh (unlike Cinemasins which seems to be really reaching for material these days). I've subscribed to Ryan George's own channel and find it consistently amusing as well.

SirAndrewD

I watch the Christmas Special every year for Life Day.

EVERY YEAR!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

It's amazing how young Harrison Ford still looks. And willing to chug along in this mess for a few minutes, too!

Maybe the Christmas Special was what soured him so much that he wanted (Han Solo) to die if he was going to be in the next film... ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

You should probably wait to watch this until seeing the movie, duh.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Spoilers for a musical that has been around for decades now I think...

"I don't know anything anymore; I feel completely insane, I've lost my sanity, it's gone."

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 28, 2019, 10:37:16 PM
Spoilers for a musical that has been around for decades now I think...

The pitch meeting is for the movie that just came out....

JasonPratt

A movie that translates the musical almost directly to the screen, so...  ::)

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 29, 2019, 02:12:15 PM
A movie that translates the musical almost directly to the screen, so...  ::)

I don't know anyone that has actually seen the musical. I would have thought the whole reason they are making a film based on the musical is to reach those that go to movies, but not the theatre. I mean, Cats isn't exactly Romeo and Juliet, where even if you've never seen the play performed, you know more or less what it's about. Actually, it would be indescribably sad if Cats ever did achieve the same status as Shakespeare....

Tpek

Tpek

Why does it sound like the most random plot a movie ever had?

And also, is it me or does it look like RDJ's career, post MCU, is pretty much done?

JasonPratt

Man, as someone who remembers actually liking the Doolittle stories when I was a kid, I have to wonder why the screenwriter didn't just adapt one of those stories and maybe add some dead wife pathos if he wanted to?

I have to wonder though how pudgy-british RDJ looks in this film, since that was part of Doolittle's visual charm in the illustrations and text. There's even an incongruous moment in (I think it's) the final book, where he has teamed up with two friends, an African and a Red Indian warrior, to protect a South American area from invasion and together the three hold the line in a narrow space with an epic beatdown of the evil invaders -- which is meant to be humorous and whimsical because Dr. Doolittle looks like a kinder and softer version of C. S. Lewis (for example)!

airboy

Quote from: Tpek on January 18, 2020, 06:00:12 PM
Why does it sound like the most random plot a movie ever had?

And also, is it me or does it look like RDJ's career, post MCU, is pretty much done?

Bagpipe Colon blockage on dragons is a good reason to avoid any movie.

Tpek

JasonPratt

Well, now that you post that video, I hate it to my very core!  :coolsmiley: