NATO-Warsaw Pact 1985

Started by bayonetbrant, January 15, 2015, 04:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

BC, I agree, I don't think you can look at a war in Western Europe in a vacuum.  I would think the Norks would jump at the chance launch a war with the South. 

I'm not sure if the Chinese would go after Siberia, but I could see them trying to get the lands back that the Russians took form them in the 1800's.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

Someone posted this over at the matrix forums for Command. It's the 1985 CIA analysis of the USSRs ability to fight a multi-front war. They were pretty pessimistic about China's ability to threaten the USSR. They also seem to have thought that the soviet navy would have stuck close to home to protect their boomers. They seem to have thought as well that NATO would be the first to use tactical nukes, but that the soviets might try to preempt them to take away the capability. Interesting grand strategy thinking.

http://www.foia.cia.gov/sites/default/files/document_conversions/89801/DOC_0000261287.pdf

mirth

It was Sov doctrine that a lot  of Red Fleet would be tasked with protecting the  boomers. They had a lot of types designed for that purpose. Being defensive wasn't going to win the war at sea though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

there's a lot of discussion on CSW in the Doomsday folder, too
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I'd like to see a game like NATO: The Next War in Europe get redone, maybe expanded to cover the North Cape, Iceland, perhaps some Atlantic war abstractions...that would be awesome.

GDS_Starfury

I still love Hackett's use of B-52s im carpet bombing and stopping a Soviet spearhead.  :2funny:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

^ Was that the book called The Third World War, August 1985, or something like that?

I had that book - read it in middle school, though it took me a while to get through it.

Edit - oops, I forgot I still have the book...opened up my bookcase and there it is! I'll have to read it again. I had forgotten I lost the book somewhere and I found this copy in a discount book store about 8 years ago.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 30, 2015, 11:43:35 AM
^ Was that the book called The Third World War, August 1985, or something like that?

I had that book - read it in middle school, though it took me a while to get through it.

Edit - oops, I forgot I still have the book...opened up my bookcase and there it is! I'll have to read it again. I had forgotten I lost the book somewhere and I found this copy in a discount book store about 8 years ago.

I think the B52 carpet bombing mission was in the follow-up book: The Third World War: The Untold Story.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-World-War-Untold-Story/dp/0025471104/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422638893&sr=8-3&keywords=World+War+III%3A+The+Untold+Story

OJsDad

Just a thought.  I don't think the Chinese would attach the Russians  I would think it would be more likely for them to support a Nork attack into the South and maybe a try for Taiwan. 

If the Norks could take the South, it would get the US off the mainland.  And the US Navy may have had shift assets to the Atlantic to help there, thus allowing the Chinese to try for Taiwan.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

The ChiComms couldn't take Taiwan in 85. Even if the US was out of Korea. They didn't have the amphibious assets for it.

I could see the US making an effort to encourage the Chinese to attack the Sovs. Maybe dangle concessions on Taiwan.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

I'm not sure I buy the theory that the US would sacrifice Taiwan just so the Chinese would attack Russia.

Another thing that would be key, is what was known about Siberian natural resources and how easy they were to get to. 

Staggerwing

^Ah, the 'Northern Resource Area' plan eh? A classic page from the WW2 Japanese business plan.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 30, 2015, 12:29:32 PM
I think the B52 carpet bombing mission was in the follow-up book: The Third World War: The Untold Story.

I think your right.  I haven't read either in years.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Sadly I didn't even know there was a follow-up book to The Third World War. Thanks for that, I'll have to grab it at some point after reading this first book again.

Staggerwing

IIRC, the Hackett books serve as backstory for one of scifi author Dean Ing's own series, starting with the novel Systemic Shock.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys