Holiday Traditions?

Started by bayonetbrant, December 21, 2012, 11:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

What are yours?

We buy a new ornament every year for the tree, with some meaning to what happened to us that year, so that every year when we're decorating, we can also talk about what happened during each of those years.  We actually started that the year before we got engaged, and 2 years before our first married Christmas.

Food? 
My wife makes an ass-kicking kahlua cake every year, and makes a bunch for other people, too.
I like baking/decorating sugar cookies with the kids, but time seems harder and harder to come by these days to squeeze that one in.

How 'bout y'all?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

As for food, the only thing out of the ordinary would be Tortiere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourti%C3%A8re

The kid(s) also gets one Christmas Eve present to open, as a distraction.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Keunert

food at my parents:

russian salad with different rolled hams and fresh Kartoffelsalad!

food i will cook for my better halfs family:
fillet of beef in pastry with something and an Italian Amarone to drink with it! (red wine made out of dried grapes, very intense in taste)

apart from the eating i found the christmas time to be specially hard and tiresome the last two years. both myself and my wife are in the teaching business and the finish of semesters brings both of us on the brink of breakdown for the second year in a row. i quit my teaching and hope it will get better. because with the small kids it could be a great time, but not if you feel shaky all the time.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Centurion40

Kenny, I was a high school teacher for 3 years and gave it up.  Now I'm a civil servant.  I can't tell how good it felt not to come from work (school) everyday with a load of work to do into the evenings and through the weekends.

People used to tell me how lucky I was to have the summer off, but honestly it only felt like 2 weeks off, because I was in recovery mode (you know what I'm talking about) until the last week of July, then it was back-to-work (prepping for classes) in mid-August with staff meetings, etc. starting-up again the last week of August.

Gusington

When we go down to MD for an Irish Christmas as we have for 25 years, food is scarce. So The Wife and I make some chili, baked ziti and spinach pies for the whole clan. As the MiniGusses get older they like to pitch in too and help make tomato sauce, shred cheese, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

I have to buy the current Star Trek and Sky's the Limit ornaments. I buy an extra Star Trek ornament for my brother which makes for a easy gift choice.

We have a nativity scene that has been with me since I was a child. The stable was build by my maternal grandfather.

My late mother collected snowmen (and snowwomen) which we display every year.

I'm an egg nog junkie. Thank God it's only available during the season. I don't spike it. It's bad enough for you without booze. (And I'm not a big drinker to start with.) The best is Goodrich Dairy (a regional dairy and a pain to find) and Land O'Lakes Traditional. Stay away from the "lite" stuff.

I like to buy a variety of nuts in the shell. Good snack food and I pride myself on my ability to get those stubborn Brazil Nuts out in one piece.

The meal varies. We rotate among the traditional favorites.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Longdan

Kids are grown and I am single again.
Now I can appreciate Xmas.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Barthheart

Last few years it's been Christmas in the Keys, eggs Benedict and Mamosas fer Christmas breakfast, and as much fresh shellfish we can cram into us fer Christmas dinner.

New Years is champaign on the beach at sunset and more shellfish.

Really sucks to drive back to the frozen North in January.

Centurion40

Now there's a tradition that I can get behind!

Arctic Blast

I've taken on the task of doing all the holiday baking. I like cooking, I like baking, so it works for me. Crank up either some funk or hip hop (I have no idea why those are my 'baking genres', but they are), turn on the oven and bust out some cookies. Give some to my folks. Give some to my one sister who's still local. Give some to friends.

Aside from that, I HAVE to watch the Rudolph stop motion special on TV every year. I've done it every year I've been alive.

I've also gotten in the habit of going for a late night stroll really early Christmas morning. It's still, it's quiet, you can just walk around and think and reflect. Doesn't matter how cold it gets, that's what layers are for.

Grimnirsson

I'm with my parents and my sister over the Christmas days, the tree is in their house (I have a cat, that doesn't go well with a xmas tree ;) ) and Hiimori is driving to her family as well, so it's family time for both of us. Cooking is all done by my mother :)

What I usually do on Christmas Eve is watching TV into the late night or the early morning whatever you prefer to call it...usually they show the classics with Jimmy Stewart, Peter Ustinov and so on...and I like these movies. All this while the fireplace is lit and the wood is cracking and my glass gets filled and refilled with good whisk(e)y until I feel warm and well. I have to get up early then the next morning for handing out of presents after a good breakfast with my family. But this lonely night on Christmas Eve is actually a tradition of mine, it's a special night :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Silent Disapproval Robot

Work.  I love the double time.

LongBlade

I will grill an @$$ kicking prime rib for Christmas Eve.

We'll make our homemade cranberry & blueberry sauce and a turkey for Christmas.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

Every Christmas Eve morning, I get out of the house around 7 and go to Walmart.  I grab a buggy and walk up and down the aisles and whatever falls in my cart, that's what everyone gets for Christmas.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

There is something I love about Christmas Eve and I'm frickin' Jewish. I always stay up really late that night for some reason. Maybe I should marry Arctic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd