Main Menu

Ray Rice

Started by mirth, September 08, 2014, 11:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

*NOT A DEFENSE OF RAY RICE*

Having said that, I think Ray Rice is just the next example of the type of player that the NFL covets.  From the time these boys show a modicum of talent, they are groomed for the next level.  PeeWee to Middle School to High School to College and then the Pros.  They are given every opportunity to have their transgressions forgiven or downplayed because they can run/pass/catch/tackle at a high level. 

The billionaires who fund this sport, and profit mightily, want the meanest, toughest, nastiest, most amped up men they can get to don their colors and make them money.  They portray their players as modern day gladiators.  Mythic names who become heroes of the franchise and gain eternal fame for their on field exploits.

And the public eats it up.  Pro football is the most popular sport in the United States.  The fans of these teams are so invested in the performance of "their" team, that a win or a loss can make or break their entire week in just under three hours.  Just check the various highlight packages on any given Sunday and invariably, there are big hits included.  And while you will admit that the skill shown on a catch or run is admirable and enjoyable to watch, nothing gets your blood fired up as much as a big hit.

All of the above is just leading up to this, Ray Rice is just a product of the system.  He could be, and is, any number of men who play football every Sunday.  And we are all complicit in making these men what they become.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 08, 2014, 11:53:24 AM
makes you wonder why the wife stuck with him...

They have been together since they both were in High School. Whether he has been doing this all along or if it was just a bad mistake I can't say but I think the punishment is appropriate and I'm a big Ravens fan. I hope it was just a mistake because I like Ray Rice and hope he can make amends and move on.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Marty Ward

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 08, 2014, 12:08:01 PM

There's volumes on the subject of domestic violence and how the victims blame themselves or defend the sicko wife beaters who attacked them....frankly, it's not uncommon.

As for Rice, I'm for a lifetime ban. I never want to see him on a football field again. And I'm sickened by the number of Ravens fans who, if no longer actively defending him quite as vigorously, clearly want to minimize what this animal has done. On a talk radio show today, one of these intellectual giants went after the media for wanting to "crucify" Rice. Yeah. Taking up for a wife beater....classy.

Really? Do you know something about Ray Rice that no one else knows?

Do you think every person who does this should be made into a monster, lose the ability to work in their profession forever and be made to where a label on their clothes the rest of their life calling them a serial wife beater when it may have just been something so out of character that what they did is unexplainable?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Marty Ward

Quote from: steve58 on September 08, 2014, 02:19:00 PM
As he has a history of smacking her around, I hope he doesn't take his getting cut/indefinite suspension out on his wife.  :(

Actually he has no history of it, there has never been a hint of this before which is why what he did was so shocking.

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on September 08, 2014, 05:17:29 PM
I doubt the League will let him back. Goodell already screwed the pooch with the 2 game slap on the wrist. The PR hit would be enormous if they let Ray Rice back in next season.

There are 24 active domestic abuse investigations going on right now in the NFL. I wonder how many will receive the same punishment?

Arctic Blast

Honestly, if he wasn't coming off a season which called his future production into question, does anyone think he'd be released? After all, this is an organization which posted a wonderfully tone dead load of crap called 'I Like Ray Rice' in the summertime. I wonder...

WOW. Yep, it's still on their site. They've spent the entire offseason making ridiculous excuses. F*ck the Ravens. Of course, the NFL was no better. A 2 game suspension, all the while hocking pink women's football jerseys on their website. Wanna guess what name was on said jerseys? Everyone knew the story of what had happened, but now that the video goes public and the outrage really kicks in, oh NOW it's important enough to put a foot down? Weak. So weak.

They recently decreed that it's 6 games for a first offense and an outright ban for a second. The league is probably going to stick with that, since it would be difficult to explain why this example gets a worse punishment than their brand new stipulation calls for.

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on September 08, 2014, 11:05:35 PM
when it may have just been something so out of character that what they did is unexplainable?

After watching that video, do you honestly think that was the first time Ray Rice abused a woman?

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on September 08, 2014, 11:08:42 PM
I doubt the League will let him back. Goodell already screwed the pooch with the 2 game slap on the wrist. The PR hit would be enormous if they let Ray Rice back in next season.

There are 24 active domestic abuse investigations going on right now in the NFL. I wonder how many will receive the same punishment?

If all 24 cases have a video showing a player cold cocking a woman, then I'd expect all of them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 08, 2014, 12:08:01 PM

There's volumes on the subject of domestic violence and how the victims blame themselves or defend the sicko wife beaters who attacked them....frankly, it's not uncommon.

As for Rice, I'm for a lifetime ban. I never want to see him on a football field again. And I'm sickened by the number of Ravens fans who, if no longer actively defending him quite as vigorously, clearly want to minimize what this animal has done. On a talk radio show today, one of these intellectual giants went after the media for wanting to "crucify" Rice. Yeah. Taking up for a wife beater....classy.

Really? Do you know something about Ray Rice that no one else knows?

Do you think every person who does this should be made into a monster, lose the ability to work in their profession forever and be made to where a label on their clothes the rest of their life calling them a serial wife beater when it may have just been something so out of character that what they did is unexplainable?

The man's His actions speak for themselves. He just got caught on video this time. Again, there are tons of studies done on the subject. The odds of this being the first time are extremely unlikely. Ray Rice is not unique. Unexplainable? He spit on his wife/fiance, slapped her and then punched her unconscious. How much explaining do you need???

Centurion40

I heard that the CFL has also banned Ray Rice from playing football in Canada.

And now his wife is defending him!!  :o

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/ray-rice-s-wife-janay-defends-suspended-nfl-running-back-1.2760440
Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Centurion40 on September 09, 2014, 09:03:55 AM
I heard that the CFL has also banned Ray Rice from playing football in Canada.

And now his wife is defending him!!  :o

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/ray-rice-s-wife-janay-defends-suspended-nfl-running-back-1.2760440

Yeah, I saw that. There's a lot of twisted psychology behind women who make excuses for the beating they took, but unfortunately in almost all the cases it's because the husband finally was "outted", not because it was a one-time incident. It happens far too often, including the infamous tweet from her where she took the blame and the Ravens kept it on their site until yesterday.

Bottom line is that a man doesn't do that to a woman. He did. One sportscaster put it this way....imagine the outcry if there were videos of Michael Vick abusing dogs. To most right-thinking individuals, how much worse is this?

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on September 09, 2014, 06:29:57 AM
when it may have just been something so out of character that what they did is unexplainable?

After watching that video, do you honestly think that was the first time Ray Rice abused a woman?

Having met them  both in social situations a few times, yes. I agree with the punishment but I don't think that is who Ray Rice is.

There has never been a hint of anything like this in his past, no calls from neighbors about loud arguments, no previous charges that were dropped, no mysterious bruises or long periods of time where his wife/girlfriend was MIA. I think he was drunk, they got into a nasty argument and he made a stupid mistake.

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on September 09, 2014, 06:32:05 AM

If all 24 cases have a video showing a player cold cocking a woman, then I'd expect all of them.

Is that the bar, video?

The guy from Carlina was convicted in court of beating his girlfriend, dragging her by the hair to the bathroom and trying to break her arm by smashing the toilet seat on it while threatening to kill her. He started Sunday.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Marty Ward on September 09, 2014, 09:55:56 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 09, 2014, 06:32:05 AM

Is that the bar, video?

The guy from Carolina was recently convicted of abuse in court for beating his girlfriend, dragging her by the hair to the bathroom and trying to break her arm by smashing the toilet seat on it while threatening to kill her. He started Sunday.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 09, 2014, 07:30:32 AM

The man's His actions speak for themselves. He just got caught on video this time. Again, there are tons of studies done on the subject. The odds of this being the first time are extremely unlikely. Ray Rice is not unique. Unexplainable? He spit on his wife/fiance, slapped her and then punched her unconscious. How much explaining do you need???

6 seconds of your life does not define you. Is Donte Stallworth a murderer? Is Jamaal Lewis a drug dealer? Is Robbie Alomar as disgusting human being? 

Uhh actually it was she who spit on him, not that that is an excuse for what he did. The odds of this being the first time are extremely high if you know anything about him and her.