Sea Power: Naval Combat in the Missile Age

Started by Jarhead0331, December 18, 2019, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4rget

Quote from: Julhelm on February 04, 2021, 08:32:31 PM
Well, we sure haven't been very active here lately. Time to fix that. Here's our latest dev diary, you might find it interesting:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1286220/view/3052847052557404330

I love what you do. :smitten:

CaptainKoloth

I am so very excited for this! I've been waiting for a proper Fleet Command spiritual successor for two decades... damn, I'm old!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

I've been playing the heck out of Cold Waters with the Epic Mod the last few months, and recently I've been cracking back open some of my older naval warfare games like Harpoon Commander's Edition and Dangerous Waters.

The more I think about it, the more I think Seapower is going to be revolutionary.  Every time I play Cold Waters I just can't help but think about how much further that game could be pushed by taking it to the surface and allowing a player to move multiple units. 

If multiplayer can be incorporated, wow, I just don't know if I'll ever leave the house again.

Has there been any indication of when we might see a release?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

^You'll have to have ask Microprose and their fantastic publicity machine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

The_Admiral

Or perhaps simply ask the devs  ;)
As the aforementioned publicity machine doesn't actually tell us when to release our own game - fortunately, this is one of these things that sets it apart from other comparable machines, and one of these very reasons why we went for this deal to begin with. Some might see it as some new kind of neverending torture - obviously from the other side of the table, I do experience it as a welcome break :coolsmiley:
At any rate, in our business, it's not like other publishing machines are known for being particularly talkative in regard of their own plans to a certain extent. It will come as no surprise that very anticipated games in the simulation or wargame genre hardly ever end up providing a particularly reliable estimate of when they will actually release. Such is the world of game development, and that of the few publishing houses whoch can afford that sort of luxury (blessed are companies that do not have to report Quarterly Earnings & prospects to shareholders on Wall Street...)

Quote from: Toonces on June 23, 2021, 01:24:09 PM
Has there been any indication of when we might see a release?
Naturally I cannot speak for the Triassic team, although I do talk with their lead on a weekly basis - and believe me, I'd like to say that all our release dates are available on a need-to-know basis, or are eyes-only material... Problem is we cannot share something that we basically don't know ourselves just yet. I'd say it might be a rather common trait among us all presently under the label, a habit born from experience, some on the game-making side of things, some from their own consumer experience. We don't like to make promises, and then unfortunate and heartbreaking enmities from them  :))

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

(In best Veruca Salt impersonation)

I want it NOW!

-do want it now, but dig that stuff takes time.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

A new video. Judging by this thread that I hope is the correct one to bring back news has been scant?
Hope you guys enjoy this. I have queued it up to watch.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

It looks fantastic, but sadly, I think it is still a way off.  :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I watched the video and the game seems like it will be really good. One guy (EDIT: 2 or 3 veteran professional guys) initially developing this while (EDIT: 1 of them) dropping his other project and then hiring a few modders (EDIT: who are also professionals) to help? Good on them if they pull it off. But with the Microprose name at stake I kind of thought the team would be professional veterans. I don't think I was really aware that this would simply be a literal cold waters engine adaption. EDIT: That last sentence is simply wrong thanks for the correction Admiral, all game code is new from the ground up in order not to conflict with the owners of original cold waters code.
Command Modern Operations was the competition I think they were trying to think of.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on November 21, 2022, 08:22:26 PM
I watched the video and the game seems like it will be really good. One guy initially developing this while dropping his other project and then hiring a few modders to help? Good on them if they pull it off. But with the Microprose name at stake I kind of thought the team would be professional veterans. I don't think I was really aware that this would simply be a literal cold waters engine adaption.
Command Modern Operations was the competition I think they were trying to think of.

Cold Waters is a fine game.  Expanding it seems pretty worthwhile and anyway I'd be perfectly happy to play both Sea Power and CMO.  The fact that Sea Power has a limited set of what it
aims to simulate is an advantage in many ways.  I get pretty lost when I start building a scenario in CMO because there are so many possibilities.