What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

South Mountain was actually recommended to me by several guys who were beta testing Last Chance for Victory (the Gettysburg game) at Prezcon.  They said because of it's limited scope and few counters that it was the best way to learn the RSS games.  Also they recommended it over the CWBS mostly because newer games in the series will be Regimental games.  I don't know because you still have to learn the CWBS rules plus the RSS rules. 

Anywho the initial project is done.

The one thing I'd note is that the Confederate counters shades of brown can be very hard to discern from each other after they were cut out of the counter sheets.  But on the bright side there are only a few dozen counters for each of the various Reb commands, so if they do get mixed up it shouldn't take too long to sort.  The same is true of the Union counters, but to a lesser extent.

Bison

Now I'm not sure what I want to do.  I think man time is almost over, so I don't want to take on another counter or CC:A sticker project.  /sigh/  I feel good about it all, but I still didn't actually play anything!

GJK

See if you can get VASL going.  Inside my ASLSK dropbox folder, I have instructions for getting VASL installed.  I forget, did you say that you have access to the ASL dropbox folder?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

Quote from: Rekim on September 14, 2013, 03:19:33 AM
Ya need a big table for this one. plus a few sides. Axis & Allies 1940 Global

That is a thing of beauty!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Quote from: GJK on September 14, 2013, 03:55:31 PM
See if you can get VASL going.  Inside my ASLSK dropbox folder, I have instructions for getting VASL installed.  I forget, did you say that you have access to the ASL dropbox folder?

I did, but I need to install dropbox on this computer too.  /sigh/  Haha.  This might be a midnight oil project tonight.

Bison

And so it begins...

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I do know that this battle will be my midnight project of attempting to learn ASL and all of it's 10,000,000,000 acronyms.

[ELR:3] enter on turn 1 along east edge. 

I get along east edge, but what the hell is ELR?  I have no idea therefore I've decided it is of no importance!

GJK

ELR= Experience Level Rating.  It's quite important actually.  If a squad or HS or leader fails a MC (Morale Check) by > it's ELR value, then it is reduced in experience level.  For example, say you have a 2nd line German 4-4-7 squad with an ELR of 3 and it needs to take a 1MC (1 morale check).  It will need to add one to the die roll.  Say you whiff the roll and roll a 10.  Adding one to the 10 gives you an 11.  11 is > 3 more than the squads morale of 7 so it "ELR's".  That means that the squad breaks and is also reduced in experience levels; in this case from a 2nd line squad to a "c" (Conscript) - the 4-3-6 squad.  See the Nationality Chart for experience level reductions.

Now suppose that you really whiffed and rolled a natural "12".  The squad would not only ELR but it would CR (casualty reduce) because you rolled the 12 so the 4-4-7 squad would reduce to a conscript 2-3-6 HS (half-squad).  Ouch!

See SK rule 5.1 for more details.

And you really, really need my ASLSK ebook - it makes looking this stuff up so much easier than flipping through the paper rulebook!

P.S. You have some of your leaders rotated 90 degrees clockwise on your scenario card.  [anal!]  heehee
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on September 14, 2013, 10:11:45 PM
P.S. You have some of your leaders rotated 90 degrees clockwise on your scenario card.  [anal!]  heehee

The funny thing is after I took the photo I actually thought GJK is going to say something about my leaders being mis-oriented.

Thanks for the ELR description. 

GJK

Quote from: Bison on September 14, 2013, 10:24:57 PM

The funny thing is after I took the photo I actually thought GJK is going to say something about my leaders being mis-oriented.

LMAO - yeah, I'm very anal about counter orientation.  Drives my son crazy as I'm constantly organizing his stacks for him after each move.  I think that he does it to piss me off now.  :)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on September 14, 2013, 10:27:16 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 14, 2013, 10:24:57 PM

LMAO - yeah, I'm very anal about counter orientation.  Drives my son crazy as I'm constantly organizing his stacks for him after each move.  I think that he does it to piss me off now.  :)

Household 6 gave me the "you're a Geek!" look while I was setting up the game.  You should have seen the look when I told her I'm going to need some tools to play this game: Tweezers, ID Card holder w/ respooling string, scalpel.

GJK

You (we) are geeks but don't let that stop you.  I repair equipment in dental offices so I have a nice collection of dental tweezers which are great for picking out counters from a stack.  Dice cup or dice tower - you'll need one of those.  Can't have a stray roll of the dice ruining your battle.  Our local ASL group prefers a nice round glass cup that allows your hand to easily reach in and pick up the dice.  Has to be a flat bottom too.  Wifey will get pissed though because of the "jingle" each time that you roll.  Drove my girlfriend batty. 

I too have the retractable ID card holder/string.  Works great for a LOS tool.  Not sure what you need the scapel for unless it's to clean the cuts on the counters.  You might look in to getting one of Oregon Laminations newer corner rounding tools and clip them counters clean in that case.  :) 

Man, wish I was there - this is great - keep the posts coming!  Start an AAR!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

By the way - good article on S1.  I've reproduced a copy of it on my website here:

http://garykrockover.com/ASL/articles.html
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Well I'm in the middle of turn 1.  Lots of page turning and reading and re-reading passages in the rulebook.  Scratch head.  Drink some coffee.  Re-read the rules.  Pretend I know what the hell I'm doing and then roll some dice! 

I'll do an AAR next time I set up a game.  Then you all can see just how badly I mis-interpretted the rules.  :D

GJK

I just finished my set up for a pbem VASL game of S15.  I'd be more than happy to go over the rules with you if you like via Skype and VASL - let me know.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Of course starting turn 2 and reading through the link you posted, I realized I didn't set up the forces correctly!   You didn't catch my error in the photo boss.  I did not realize that the RED# under the squad square on the scenario setup was the actual number of counters for that size of squad.  So instead of starting with 3 squads the Americans got one and the Germans instead of 6 got 2!  Haha.  I awesome being a noob.  :P